Worst people to be in line next to?

Goofyernmost

These are typically the parents that saved up a long time to go on the trip & then are convinced the only way to get the best value from the vacation is to go on a death march. I've seen it from the trenches. You're up & eating breakfast & at the first bus to the park for gate drop & then you're at the park all day and just go back to your value resort to sleep and do it all over again. Go back to the pool? "We didn't go all this way to go swim at the pool." Take a nap? "You can sleep when we get back"

Thank god our pace on vaca is a lot more chill. There is no alarm clock on vacation
Although I agree with a lot of what you say there, it is not always the pace that is the problem. Kids have very short attention spans. An hour to them seems like half a day. They want to sit and watch television or go to the pool and all of a sudden they are totally exhausted. They whine, cry, nag until the very last nerve of their parents has been rubbed raw. Get them back to the hotel though and mention maybe spending some time in the pool and see how fast the energy level increases. Even the best behaved children have the "I'm so tired" syndrome.

In the meantime, their parents have spent a small fortune to bring them to Disney and all they hear is "I'm tired" or "My feet hurt" or "this is so lame". I have always recommended waiting until the child is older (at least 6) before going. By then they know that their actions my have an undesirable reaction and are much easier to deal with.

I always get a chuckle out of the "those terrible parents having a temper tantrum in a theme park" comments. All I can say is before anyone should pass judgment on the parents, they need to walk a mile in their shoes. It may seem a whole lot different from that angle.

To those parents that feel that they have to be at rope drop and be forced out of the parks by security at night in spite of having young children... Well, I'd like to feel sorry for you, but, you have created that monster and there is no excuse for unloading on your children.

Last edited:

graphite1326

Actually we were the parents who got up and were at the parks at rope drop. We never went back to take a swim or nap. We tried to do everything we could and stayed for the fireworks. Our kids (we started going when our youngest was 6) had a great time. They never complained or threw temper tantrums. They had a great time and still like going. They are now in their 20's. There were a few times when my youngest fell asleep in my lap on the way home. But we got up the next morning and did it again.

psukardi

The other ones would be the ones that grind my gears are the ones that try to encroach upon my space when I waited a significant period of time for an event whether it be fireworks/parade/etc. DW wanted to see the parade on Christmas at the MK and I agreed. We grabbed a prime spot on the sidewalk, perfect spot to be. Gave ourselves just enough room from the garbage can that would deter people from sitting there but enough room that we wouldn't be in the way.

A few moments before the parade you get the duggars trying to squeeze in and ask me to move and make room for their precious unique snowflake that has to see and it's not fair that I'm 6'2" and take up so much space and blah blah blah. Sorry Duggar clan, I waited a long time in that spot so I could have it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
People who are unfamiliar with the operation of motor vehicles that require use of the clutch and a manual gear box.
But not as much as those who insist on using their portable BBQs, the smoke and food smells can be quite off putting especially on Splash Mountain.

Tom

Beta Return
Actually we were the parents who got up and were at the parks at rope drop. We never went back to take a swim or nap. We tried to do everything we could and stayed for the fireworks. Our kids (we started going when our youngest was 6) had a great time. They never complained or threw temper tantrums. They had a great time and still like going. They are now in their 20's. There were a few times when my youngest fell asleep in my lap on the way home. But we got up the next morning and did it again.

That was my family the entire time I was growing up. Stayed off site, drove in, parked, trammed, ferried, lined up, tickets, rope drop.......fireworks, parade........exit, monorail or ferry, tram, drive back out to hotel. And that's when MK was open until midnight all the time.

Goofyernmost

And that is why I recommend to anyone that will listen to not bring kids there until they are at least 6 years old. Infants, it doesn't matter, they sleep when they feel like it. They get fussy sometimes, depending on the child, when the routine is disrupted. It's the age between infant and 6 that I think will be the area with the most problems. There are always exceptions, because you know that someone is going to attempt to tell me that I am wrong about this, but, if you want melt downs, that is the primary age to have it happen, in my opinion.

nudists are the worst to be in line next to
Not necessarily, but, it is something that can be pleasant or retchingly bad.:joyfull:
The odds are that retching will be the most likely though.

That was my family the entire time I was growing up. Stayed off site, drove in, parked, trammed, ferried, lined up, tickets, rope drop.......fireworks, parade........exit, monorail or ferry, tram, drive back out to hotel. And that's when MK was open until midnight all the time.
This was also my family. We got up at rope drop and stayed the whole day until after the fireworks. I can't remember ever complaining or wanting to go back to the hotel (I'm the youngest). I loved staying in the parks the whole day possibly because we did take breaks while in the park to just sit and relax for a bit.

DJ7203

Original Poster
And that is why I recommend to anyone that will listen to not bring kids there until they are at least 6 years old. Infants, it doesn't matter, they sleep when they feel like it. They get fussy sometimes, depending on the child, when the routine is disrupted. It's the age between infant and 6 that I think will be the area with the most problems. There are always exceptions, because you know that someone is going to attempt to tell me that I am wrong about this, but, if you want melt downs, that is the primary age to have it happen, in my opinion.

Not necessarily, but, it is something that can be pleasant or retchingly bad.:joyfull:
The odds are that retching will be the most likely though.

ROTFLMAO well I plan on wearing a bikini top at the parks because I hate crazy tan lines. Plus it will be hot as heck & if it rains my top will dry quick. I am praying for no wardrobe malfunctions while on a ride though :hilarious:

graphite1326

ROTFLMAO well I plan on wearing a bikini top at the parks because I hate crazy tan lines. Plus it will be hot as heck & if it rains my top will dry quick. I am praying for no wardrobe malfunctions while on a ride though :hilarious:
UH So when are you going to be there? I was thinking of planning a trip but wasn't sure when to go yet.

G00fyDad

Guess I've been lucky. I have taken both of mine several times each between infant and 6 years old and neither one got fussy. They told me when they were tired and I stopped and sat for a while, or I found something to do out of the heat that allowed them to rest for a bit (Innovations). Maybe that's they key... compassion from the parents. ;)

Pixie VaVoom

Where I'm called from they call that Mexican Shower. The term is a bit xenophobic but a lot of stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason

the elders in my family used to disparagingly call that a " bath"...as in "you put on too much perfume...whaddaya tryin to do take a bath!! go wash some of that stinkum off you. folks will think you werent raised decent !!" yeah...good times...they all were so classy...

psukardi

the elders in my family used to disparagingly call that a "***** bath"...as in "you put on too much perfume...whaddaya tryin to do take a ***** bath!! go wash some of that stinkum off you. folks will think you werent raised decent !!" yeah...good times...they all were so classy...

I guess the lesson is, no matter what you call it - it's unacceptable and people need to shower

SagamoreBeach

The other ones would be the ones that grind my gears are the ones that try to encroach upon my space when I waited a significant period of time for an event whether it be fireworks/parade/etc. DW wanted to see the parade on Christmas at the MK and I agreed. We grabbed a prime spot on the sidewalk, perfect spot to be. Gave ourselves just enough room from the garbage can that would deter people from sitting there but enough room that we wouldn't be in the way.

A few moments before the parade you get the duggars trying to squeeze in and ask me to move and make room for their precious unique snowflake that has to see and it's not fair that I'm 6'2" and take up so much space and blah blah blah. Sorry Duggar clan, I waited a long time in that spot so I could have it.

I've told this story before...I planned on seeing some African dancers at Animal Kingdom. I show up at the place and stake out my spot. Been there several minutes, the show starts, now people begin to gather. This little guy pushes past me and is standing directly in front of me. I feel a thump on my shoulder, I turn and a woman says - a bit on the rude side...my son is standing in front of you and I MUST be with my child! I thump the kid on the shoulder and tell him that his mother wants him back there. She gets really mad and starts muttering obscenities at me. I just had to laugh at that one.

GrammieBee

The parents of pre schoolers who say they are going to Disney for the children. But, when they are there and their three or four year old has reached his or her limit and is cranky, tired, and/or crying, threatens or punishes the child for his or her behavior rather than removing the child from the line for some cuddling or downtime. The parent obviously feels standing in line for the attraction they wanted to go on or see is more important than their upset child.

Remember, these are very young children who have probably had just about all the stimulation and activity they can handle. Children cry for a reason. Threats or punishment may shut them up because it causes fear. In the long run,that is not a particularly good solution.

Grade school children who can handle their emotions somewhat better, have more stamina and should know acceptable behavior are a different story. However, if they are acting up, they should still be removed from the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom