Why is Stitch still there?

Goofyernmost

Wait times throughout the year can show the popularity but that entirely aside.

I expect Disney to make something much better because it's Disney. I don't believe for a second that somehow this is the best they could do.
I actually think it is pretty well done. It's just that so many people take their Disney Theme Park experience seriously beyond what most people do. It isn't a top level attraction (I try to resist using the phrase "E Ticket" because they no longer exist and I do not like constantly living in the past), but, it is a good filler and if you look at the layout, it probably isn't going to be as easy as you think to fit something else in there. Unless, of course, you have and idea of what might be better, then please share it.

Schneewittchen

Stitch is great. I've never been on it, but when my toddler needs a nap, I take her for a rest on the Carousel of Progress while my husband takes my son to Stitch....
:p

FigmentForver96

I actually think it is pretty well done. It's just that so many people take their Disney Theme Park experience seriously beyond what most people do. It isn't a top level attraction (I try to resist using the phrase "E Ticket" because they no longer exist and I do not like constantly living in the past), but, it is a good filler and if you look at the layout, it probably isn't going to be as easy as you think to fit something else in there. Unless, of course, you have and idea of what might be better, then please share it.
The ride alone isn't the absolute most God awful thing ever to be around on the earth, but like many Disney attractions of the mast twenty of so years, the new rides are mediocre and replace much more detailed and exciting rides. Rides that took creativity, and a special touch of Disney. A great example would be the current Journey Into Imagination with Figment, the ride by itself is not terrible. I would even go as far as to say it could be a decent attraction if it was not for what was before it. I am not saying we should have kept Dreamfinder and Figment until the end of days, but they butchered that attraction. The same for Stitch. The ride before, while scary, was totally different and a cool way to use the space. Stitch was a cheap overlay to create something "new" and home in on the newest Disney film. If they had created something totally mind blowing with Stitch then it would not be so bad. They did not do this.

Also I do not have any ideas, but that is the job of Disney. They design the parks and build the rides and I expect them to come up with the great ideas.

Magenta Panther

That attraction is so obnoxious. It's not fun, it's not funny, the seats crush your shoulders, and the last time (and I mean the LAST time) I experienced it, it left little kids in the audience crying. Bad show, TDO. Lose it!

Edward M

I just feel that AK, HS, and Epcot need to be fixed before we start trying to fix MK. MK isn't perfect, but it is the only full day park at WDW right now which is just shameful. Stitch is an alright placeholder to eat crowds in Tomorrowland, but I would rather see money spent to replace Stitch spent on something at Future World.

DubyooDeeDubyoo

A lack of ideas at the present.
I never went on Stitch, but to my understand it's physical footprint is quite small. I grew up with Disneyland, and it got turned into a restaurant, and I always figured that physical space was the reason. There's not enough room to build the kind of Buzz-style ride preferred out west, but Florida audiences are used to film and animatronic based spectacles that don't move you down a track.

I figure they probably are waiting for the right thematic fit for both Tomorrowland and the AE concept rather than demolishing it all. I agree with the people who felt that AE had no place in Magic Kingdom, but it's obvious that the ride concept isn't particularly toddler-friendly, either. They need a presentation that aims at tweens and teens (i.e. not Stitch) but also isn't out of vogue with Tomorrowland.

I'm just pulling this one out of a dark place, but if I had to propose a re-theme to this attraction, I'd probably say that Guardians of the Galaxy makes the best fit.

Goofyernmost

The ride alone isn't the absolute most God awful thing ever to be around on the earth, but like many Disney attractions of the mast twenty of so years, the new rides are mediocre and replace much more detailed and exciting rides. Rides that took creativity, and a special touch of Disney. A great example would be the current Journey Into Imagination with Figment, the ride by itself is not terrible. I would even go as far as to say it could be a decent attraction if it was not for what was before it. I am not saying we should have kept Dreamfinder and Figment until the end of days, but they butchered that attraction. The same for Stitch. The ride before, while scary, was totally different and a cool way to use the space. Stitch was a cheap overlay to create something "new" and home in on the newest Disney film. If they had created something totally mind blowing with Stitch then it would not be so bad. They did not do this.

Also I do not have any ideas, but that is the job of Disney. They design the parks and build the rides and I expect them to come up with the great ideas.
All you had to do was attended "Journey to Mars" originally in that location to know how advanced both of the attractions (Alien and Stitch) that followed it are. It was a very good use of space and design. Mars was the most unimpressive show that ever existed, yet, because it was different it was popular, at least for awhile.
That attraction is so obnoxious. It's not fun, it's not funny, the seats crush your shoulders, and the last time (and I mean the LAST time) I experienced it, it left little kids in the audience crying. Bad show, TDO. Lose it!
I've attended both Alien and Stitch over the years. The one that left children crying was Alien. If you heard a kid crying in Stitch it was probably because they wanted a Mickey Bar and Mom and Dad wouldn't buy it for them. In all the times that I have seen Stitch, I have never experienced kids crying, have not had my tender little shoulders injured, been bothered by a scented air burp or a couple of drops of water simulating spit. Sometimes I think that the worst thing that can happen to us is to grow up. Things that we thought were fun as kids now arouse our indignation and identify it as obnoxious. So you apparently have taken the proper path when one doesn't like something. You are no longer going to go to it. That doesn't give anyone the license to condemn something just because they don't like it for whatever that reason might be. Go to something else and leave Stitch alone. In the words of the song... "Just walk on by". Instead of trying to see the humor and the technology just go on over and stand in a three hour line to see some college kids dressed up as princesses. Now that would be worth the time.

Brer Panther

Considering how much fanfare the attraction got when it opened (seriously, name one other attraction that got as much promotion as Stitch did), I'm guessing it's only still there because the people at Disney were so proud of it.

If the show were more popular, I'd say switch it out with Wander Over Yonder. Keep the premise almost exactly the same- Lord Hater and his Watchdogs have captured Wander, but he escapes. The comedy comes from Hater acting all terrified by Wander's niceness and positivity. "Banjo music?!? NOOOOOO!!!"
Okay, I would honestly like to see this.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I don't enjoy the current Stitch attraction, but I do like Stitch as a character/Lilo & Stitch as a film. Seeing as Stitch is such a popular character and he fits so well in Tomorrowland, I'd love to see a better Stitch themed attraction replace the existing one.

DfromATX

Many do love Stitch. Just because a vocal cross section of the people that frequent this board don't like it doesn't really mean anything. They know how many people go there per day. We don't! They also know that they are running out of options about what to put in that particular building. Not everyone of them can be a top echelon attractions.

I've said this before (it seems like we all have discussed Stitch recently), but my husband is one who loves, well likes Stitch a lot. It's because it was the first ride we did at MK. My son who is 13 now was only 3 when we "experienced" it and he was terrified. In fact, it often comes up when we are reminiscing about Disney trips.

DfromATX

the absolute most God awful thing ever to be around on the earth, /QUOTE]

Ha ha, that would be a great topic for another thread. My vote would be The Tiki Lounge, the long presidential movie in the American Pavillion, maybe even the Three Caballeros (or whatever it's called). :D

FigmentForver96

All you had to do was attended "Journey to Mars" originally in that location to know how advanced both of the attractions (Alien and Stitch) that followed it are. It was a very good use of space and design. Mars was the most unimpressive show that ever existed, yet, because it was different it was popular, at least for awhile.

I've attended both Alien and Stitch over the years. The one that left children crying was Alien. If you heard a kid crying in Stitch it was probably because they wanted a Mickey Bar and Mom and Dad wouldn't buy it for them. In all the times that I have seen Stitch, I have never experienced kids crying, have not had my tender little shoulders injured, been bothered by a scented air burp or a couple of drops of water simulating spit. Sometimes I think that the worst thing that can happen to us is to grow up. Things that we thought were fun as kids now arouse our indignation and identify it as obnoxious. So you apparently have taken the proper path when one doesn't like something. You are no longer going to go to it. That doesn't give anyone the license to condemn something just because they don't like it for whatever that reason might be. Go to something else and leave Stitch alone. In the words of the song... "Just walk on by". Instead of trying to see the humor and the technology just go on over and stand in a three hour line to see some college kids dressed up as princesses. Now that would be worth the time.
Me not liking it does not mean I am not allowed to condemn it. I condemn it because I know it was nothing more then a cheesy overlay to try and home in on the newest movie. Yes the ride prior was scary, but it was unique in that it was a new experience totally designed by Disney. In a way SGE almost does a disservice to Stitch, because honestly the movie deserves better then the overlay it received. They could have put real money in the project, but oh who cares, people are going to ride it and children will love it. Children love a lot of things, do not make them quality for a Disney park.

Matt_Black

I condemn it because I know it was nothing more then a cheesy overlay to try and home in on the newest movie. ... They could have put real money in the project, but oh who cares, people are going to ride it and children will love it.

You know the Stitch animatronic is one of the most advanced, if not THE most, that they've ever designed, yes?

Matt_Black

That makes the ride a marvel? One amazing factor does not make the ride.

No, but you're acting like it's something the half-a... uh half-heineyed over a weekend, when that is not the case. The execution of the attraction may ultimately be wanting, and I don't dispute that (you bring in one of the Kids in the Hall to do voice work and you DON'T have him say anything funny?!?), but I think you're doing a disservice to the people who worked very hard on it to try and make it the best it could be with what they had to work with.

Goofyernmost

Me not liking it does not mean I am not allowed to condemn it. I condemn it because I know it was nothing more then a cheesy overlay to try and home in on the newest movie. Yes the ride prior was scary, but it was unique in that it was a new experience totally designed by Disney. In a way SGE almost does a disservice to Stitch, because honestly the movie deserves better then the overlay it received. They could have put real money in the project, but oh who cares, people are going to ride it and children will love it. Children love a lot of things, do not make them quality for a Disney park.
Not sure what you mean by "real money". Top of the line Anamatronics, special effect setups designed, I'm sure with difficulty, and a lot of changes. Hardly and overlay any more then Alien was an overlay of Mission to Mars. Alien was not really a good placement in MK. Parents would expect something that didn't scare the life out of a small child. Alien went over the line on that one. At least, Stitch injected humor into a show that would be a way to lighten the moment (alien had very little of that). I know that the oft repeated quote is that Walt wanted his parks to be for everyone, but, along with that came the realization and responsibility to know your audience. Alien did not do that.

Disney did take the opportunity based on the popularity of the movie to move Stitch into the space after massive complaints from parents about Alien. Alien wasn't removed for a quick buck. No ever went to WDW and bought a ticket because they just couldn't wait to see either Alien or Stitch. Both were just something else to do, if you wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom