Why is Stitch still there?

DfromATX

Me not liking it does not mean I am not allowed to condemn it. I condemn it because I know it was nothing more then a cheesy overlay to try and home in on the newest movie. Yes the ride prior was scary, but it was unique in that it was a new experience totally designed by Disney. In a way SGE almost does a disservice to Stitch, because honestly the movie deserves better then the overlay it received. They could have put real money in the project, but oh who cares, people are going to ride it and children will love it. Children love a lot of things, do not make them quality for a Disney park.

I wish I could have experienced the previous attraction at least once, but that was before my Disney time. And, what's wrong with being a little scary?

Tony the Tigger

I wish I could have experienced the previous attraction at least once, but that was before my Disney time. And, what's wrong with being a little scary?

I went on it a couple of times. For children, it was definitely more than a little scary. It could be very very scary. And especially since you can't move in those chairs LOL.

Brad Bishop

All you had to do was attended "Journey to Mars" originally in that location to know how advanced both of the attractions (Alien and Stitch) that followed it are. It was a very good use of space and design. Mars was the most unimpressive show that ever existed, yet, because it was different it was popular, at least for awhile.

I remember riding that as a kid. I also remember thinking, even back in the 1970s, how lame it was. That being said, I recognize that they were trying to do something different with it which was cool. The downside is that they've just retreaded it twice now.. I don't remember if it were ever Mission to the Moon in Florida.. I kind of remember that but I may be thinking of Disneyland.

I'd kind of like to see them gut it and come up with some new experience. It doesn't have to be a ride - maybe just some interactive attraction (though I don't have a great opinion of those) but something different would be nice.

FigmentForver96

Not sure what you mean by "real money". Top of the line Anamatronics, special effect setups designed, I'm sure with difficulty, and a lot of changes. Hardly and overlay any more then Alien was an overlay of Mission to Mars. Alien was not really a good placement in MK. Parents would expect something that didn't scare the life out of a small child. Alien went over the line on that one. At least, Stitch injected humor into a show that would be a way to lighten the moment (alien had very little of that). I know that the oft repeated quote is that Walt wanted his parks to be for everyone, but, along with that came the realization and responsibility to know your audience. Alien did not do that.

Disney did take the opportunity based on the popularity of the movie to move Stitch into the space after massive complaints from parents about Alien. Alien wasn't removed for a quick buck. No ever went to WDW and bought a ticket because they just couldn't wait to see either Alien or Stitch. Both were just something else to do, if you wanted.
When I say "real "money" I simply mean higher quality. More money to make the ride have a better quality. Stitch as a IP I honestly do not have problem with being in Tomorrowland, I like Stitch. But an expensive AA does not make the ride great. Some of the effects are ok but it's just not innovative not a step up to what one would expect from Disney. There did not seem to be a lot of thought that went into it, and yes I'm sure the ride did cost a lot of money to reimagine. That doesn't make it good, and can still lead It to feeling cheap.

halltd

The ride was pretty intense for a Disney attraction. It was not the best thing ever for those who looking for a good ride for smaller kids.
If they were looking for an attraction for smaller kids, they shouldn't have gone to Alien Encounter. I really don't get the argument that it has to be "for everyone" just because it's at Disney. Not everyone rides Tower of Terror. Not everyone rides Rock N Rollercoaster. Not everyone rides Test Track or Mission: Space. Not everyone needed to ride Alien Encounter.

That attraction was amazing in its production, execution, and guest experience. My mom almost peed her pants she was so convinced an alien was loose in the room. To me, that means it was effective!

I miss it so dearly. It's probably the biggest thing I miss from "Disney history"...only slightly more than the train at Fort Wilderness. :)

Goofyernmost

The ride was pretty intense for a Disney attraction. It was not the best thing ever for those who looking for a good ride for smaller kids.
That is true. I will address that further below.
When I say "real "money" I simply mean higher quality. More money to make the ride have a better quality. Stitch as a IP I honestly do not have problem with being in Tomorrowland, I like Stitch. But an expensive AA does not make the ride great. Some of the effects are ok but it's just not innovative not a step up to what one would expect from Disney. There did not seem to be a lot of thought that went into it, and yes I'm sure the ride did cost a lot of money to reimagine. That doesn't make it good, and can still lead It to feeling cheap.
I do get what you're saying, but, how does one measure quality and cheap? Is it quality of internal actions or just story line. Cheap was "mission to mars" (btw, mission to the moon was there very briefly) Quality? Well, that was up to the individual. I thought it was different and for what it was worth, pretty good. I never saw it as either low quality story-wise or cheap. It was a unique Disney experience as was Alien and now Stitch. It isn't the best show that they ever produced, but, it is far from the worst one.
If they were looking for an attraction for smaller kids, they shouldn't have gone to Alien Encounter. I really don't get the argument that it has to be "for everyone" just because it's at Disney. Not everyone rides Tower of Terror. Not everyone rides Rock N Rollercoaster. Not everyone rides Test Track or Mission: Space. Not everyone needed to ride Alien Encounter.

That attraction was amazing in its production, execution, and guest experience. My mom almost peed her pants she was so convinced an alien was loose in the room. To me, that means it was effective!

I miss it so dearly. It's probably the biggest thing I miss from "Disney history"...only slightly more than the train at Fort Wilderness. :)
It's not really a matter of who should go to it, it is a matter of who WILL go to it. Another point is that this attraction was/is in Magic Kingdom. A mere stones throw from Fantasyland. The question is how many people would anticipate something that intense to be in MK. There-in lies the problem.

On an intellectual level it doesn't have to be something for everyone, but, Disney has created itself a reputation, that if you cannot entertain them, at least don't scare the pants off of them. The idea that an adult woman would be that scared, is a sign of two things. One was it was way too realistic for general consumption and that really was the reason that it went away. And two, it was too intense. I'm saying that out of what I have heard other people say. I went to it many times and although I found it entertaining, nothing about it scared me because first, it's a show (not real) and second, to my knowledge we don't have very many captive aliens floating about.
Yes, I am aware that a number of our population would not agree with that statement. Just shows that one cannot please everyone.

FigmentForver96

Oh I loved the ride, I was a bit younger when it was around but it was an absolute must-do every single time we went.

captainmoch

I feel like AE shouldn't have been in MK. It'd probably be pretty popular and still there today if it was in DL (which has a more aware, local fanbase, that is also used to more "PG-13" rides in it's castle park, with IJA and such already there) or DHS (which is where scarier rides often go). Especially if they actually used the Alien IP like originally planned. Any parent with half an idea of what that movie is would know not to bring their child on it, especially if they're in a park like DHS that also has the Tower of Terror and other scary rides.

But yeah, having the scariest Disney attraction ever be at the very front and center of Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom, arguably the least intense Disney park on this planet, was probably a bad idea.

Kate F

Original Poster
Okay, so I completely understand that Stitch is not at the top of the priority list for the parks right now and agree that Disney should not focus on the MK until they are finished fixing up DHS, DAK, and Epcot. Those parks really need the attention, but I do think there are a few attractions in the MK that have gotten a bit stale (or are just not good) and need to be heavily updated or replaced with something else, and Stitch is one of them. The reason I made this thread is because I feel like Stitch has been here long enough for what it is and I am ready to see something better go in its spot. I know it probably won't happen for awhile though.

I never got to experience Alien Encounter, so I can't say whether I think it was a better attraction than Stitch, even though based on what I've heard, I'm sure it was. Was a show that scary appropriate for the MK? Probably not, but I don't really see the problem in having one attraction in the park geared specifically towards teens and adults. If it was too scary for some people, they could've just skipped it. I do agree that it would've fit much better in DHS though.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Okay, so I completely understand that Stitch is not at the top of the priority list for the parks right now and agree that Disney should not focus on the MK until they are finished fixing up DHS, DAK, and Epcot. Those parks really need the attention, but I do think there are a few attractions in the MK that have gotten a bit stale (or are just not good) and need to be heavily updated or replaced with something else, and Stitch is one of them. The reason I made this thread is because I feel like Stitch has been here long enough for what it is and I am ready to see something better go in its spot. I know it probably won't happen for awhile though.

I never got to experience Alien Encounter, so I can't say whether I think it was a better attraction than Stitch, even though based on what I've heard, I'm sure it was. Was a show that scary appropriate for the MK? Probably not, but I don't really see the problem in having one attraction in the park geared specifically towards teens and adults. If it was too scary for some people, they could've just skipped it. I do agree that it would've fit much better in DHS though.
I agree, but, it had one major problem. Those restraints! If you brought a young child in, ignoring all the warnings because you felt that Disney would always be kid friendly, you had to stay. You couldn't get up and walk out. If a parent didn't listen to the warnings they found themselves in a terrible spot. A screaming kid and no escape. It simply had to be toned down because parents were ready to hang Disney from the highest tree. While I'm sure Stitch has the ability to scare unsuspecting young kids, it isn't as likely because it incorporated a whole lot of gags that kids normally love. Still bad, but not as bad. The restrains are there to prevent people from getting injured stepping over others in the dark or possibly exposed to the sensory affects in a manor that could be harmful.

The original layout was wide open, no surprises or total darkness.
http://extinctdisney.com/MK/mtm.htm#

Csmith041177

I think the attraction is still there because the character of Stitch is still popular. I think most would agree that the ride itself is terrible (and I have Disney colored glasses that makes it hard for me to say that about any attraction). However, just because there is an association there with Stitch, it still appeals to kids. I really wish they would do something different with the space.

blueboxdoctor

I rarely see anything resembling a line for it. I did it once and it was very forgettable. However, I don't see them addressing it anytime soon. It's not really a big themed building (like Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain) that could be a big, empty ride. Plus, it may be cheap to maintain and they could get some solid revenue from the gift shop (as others have mentioned). Does that mean I think it should still be there? No, not really, but I'm also still trying to get used to the new voice over on the TTA, which is still awful compared to the previous one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom