Why is Stitch still there?

FigmentPigments

It makes me very sad I was never able to ride this ride.
I wish you had been able to see it. I only got to ride it a couple of times before it was changed, but it was fantastic. It would be great if it came back especially since people now know how scary it can be and can bypass if needed. This could have been a great addition (especially for teens and adults) in a park where the E ticket rides can have extreme wait times.

FigmentPigments

I agree, but, it had one major problem. Those restraints! If you brought a young child in, ignoring all the warnings because you felt that Disney would always be kid friendly, you had to stay. You couldn't get up and walk out. If a parent didn't listen to the warnings they found themselves in a terrible spot. A screaming kid and no escape. It simply had to be toned down because parents were ready to hang Disney from the highest tree. While I'm sure Stitch has the ability to scare unsuspecting young kids, it isn't as likely because it incorporated a whole lot of gags that kids normally love. Still bad, but not as bad. The restrains are there to prevent people from getting injured stepping over others in the dark or possibly exposed to the sensory affects in a manor that could be harmful.

The original layout was wide open, no surprises or total darkness.
http://extinctdisney.com/MK/mtm.htm#
I'm glad you posted. I never understood why parents would take their children to an attraction that advertises as being scary. But you're explanation helped out; I can see the problem if a parent is restrained and cannot pick up or otherwise comfort their crying child. If the child is restrained and cannot reach mom or dad then that could be a very big problem. Do you think that if the restraints were removed that would solve the most pressing problem? I hear that Hopper and the spiders at the show in Animal Kingdom can be quite intense for younger audiences, but with no restraints it seems like no one is calling for that attraction to be shut down. (I know those are two completely different experiences, but there was little else to compare it with.;))

Goofyernmost

I'm glad you posted. I never understood why parents would take their children to an attraction that advertises as being scary. But you're explanation helped out; I can see the problem if a parent is restrained and cannot pick up or otherwise comfort their crying child. If the child is restrained and cannot reach mom or dad then that could be a very big problem. Do you think that if the restraints were removed that would solve the most pressing problem? I hear that Hopper and the spiders at the show in Animal Kingdom can be quite intense for younger audiences, but with no restraints it seems like no one is calling for that attraction to be shut down. (I know those are two completely different experiences, but there was little else to compare it with.;))
You answered that question yourself... no restraints. If a child gets upset in Bugs Life they can be easily taken out. In fact, I had two of my grandchildren react that way (the boys because apparently the girls were not big ole scaredy cats). No one really likes the restraints, but, they are also a utility. They contain many of the sensory effects that you experience during the show and also since it is very dark in there it prevents people from getting hurt trying to climb over people to leave before the show is over. That procedure would be acceptable if scared kids were involved, but, you know as well as I do that a lot of people would leave just because they think the show was lame. That is the difference with today's culture. When "Mission to Mars" was there it was wide open, people didn't leave, and believe me a lamer show has never been produced. I believe it was called manners and courtesy back then.

Goofyernmost

C'mon, Mission to Mars wasn't at all a lame show, at least back in the day. It sure wouldn't play now, but back then it was the coolest!
Didn't get out much back then did you? ;) Yea, those dropping seat bottoms took my breath away. :jawdrop: It was pretty cool, I will admit because of how novel it was. As you say, it would be laughed out of the park now.

Princess Kaylee

Now, I don't absolutely loathe this attraction like the majority of people on this board, but I really think that it is time for this one to go. I know today's Disney is extremely slow at getting worn out/unpopular attractions replaced, but I still think they would've done something with it by now, considering how widely hated it is. It's been there for over a decade, most people seem to hate it and I don't even think it gets long enough lines to warrant keeping it (I could be wrong about that). I can't imagine it lasting another ten years, even with Disney's tendency to let things rot.

Also, if this attraction were to get replaced, what would you want to see it replaced with? If the building is big enough, I'd like a futuristic, maybe slightly thrilling dark ride, but another show would be nice as well.

Don't get me started on this ride, I hate it. I almost threw up with the smell of "chili" and the restraints left bruises on my shoulders.

Kate F

Original Poster
Don't get me started on this ride, I hate it. I almost threw up with the smell of "chili" and the restraints left bruises on my shoulders.
Yeah, I think the restraints are by far the worst thing about the attraction. I know they're there for a reason, but still...ouch! I don't remember being that bothered by the smell, but I haven't done it in some time, so maybe I've just forgotten how bad it is.

DisneyJunkie

Every single attraction - particularly this current one - that has occupied that location in Tomorrowland has been crap. Just crap. My assumption is they would rather have something, anything in there that people will still check out (mainly because their kids will drag them into it) than let it sit empty while they try and figure out what they could do there.

Djali999

I saw Mission to Mars, Alien, and Stitch in this spot and I don't like any of them. If Disney were willing to pay to connect Stitch and Monsters by a tunnel then both show buildings could be linked together into a ride and solve the problem that Tomorrowland has always had two under attended theaters at its entrance once and for all. Have people enter on one side of the walkway and exit on the other.

As for why Stitch is still there, it has very low approval numbers from guests but actually draws a significant number of people in - more than Alien got, surprisingly. WDW knows it's a problem but they're not willing to move to fix it because there's no larger plan in place for dealing with Tomorrowland.

DisneyChik17

I did this for the first time on Thursday, and it was terrible. Luckily, I knew of the shoulder slamming from Alien, and stopped my restraint higher up, but a lot of people complained of that at the end. Kids were SQUALLING. It was heartbreaking to hear them so terrified knowing they could barely reach a hand to hold for comfort. And then, the gift shop at the end was all Star Wars. I didn't see a single thing that was Stitch. But, all of the seats were full, and abut 50% really seemed to enjoy it. It's not my thing though, I'm more of a Laugh Floor gal...

Fox&Hound

I think it will change when Tomorrowland gets a major overhaul. Stitch could be much better, Speedway and Monsters do not fit (or never did) and even CoP is showing its age (gasp I know it was Walt's baby). Even the restaurants are a mess. I hope they have find a way to use the space better as well- it just feels like a concrete wasteland. I def feel like this and Adventureland need the most love at this time. Maybe once AK and DHS have received significant improvements, MK and Epcot will get some love too. :)

EnergyKing

I think the last decent attraction they had in TL was Delta Flight. Too many kid rides now. Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, Monsters etc. - It seems more Toddler Land than Tomorrowland. If not for Space Mountain and COP I'd probably avoid the land altogether.

brb1006

Am I the only person who used to be scared of this attraction? Maybe it's the way Stitch is portrayed in this attraction that made me scared of him for a few years until I began watching the animated series. Heck Stitch is portrayed much better in the Tokyo version of the Tiki Room.

DfromATX

Am I the only person who used to be scared of this attraction? Maybe it's the way Stitch is portrayed in this attraction that made me scared of him for a few years until I began watching the animated series. Heck Stitch is portrayed much better in the Tokyo version of the Tiki Room.

No, my son was terrified in it. It was on our first trip and Stitch was our very first attraction! That is something we'll never forget and we still laugh about it today. He was 4 then, but he's 13 now.

oneillkat

I'm 17 years old and I'm still absolutely terrified of this ride! It's creepy. I remember bawling my eyes out on it when I was little. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the shoulder restraints. I hate the feeling of being trapped. Stitch is supposed to be a cute, loving Disney character, but the way he is portrayed in this attraction is almost villainous. He isn't supposed to make children cry, and that is exactly what this attraction does! I would not be the slightest bit disappointed if Disney decided to do away with it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
giphy.gif

Brad Bishop

I'm 17 years old and I'm still absolutely terrified of this ride! It's creepy. I remember bawling my eyes out on it when I was little. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the shoulder restraints. I hate the feeling of being trapped. Stitch is supposed to be a cute, loving Disney character, but the way he is portrayed in this attraction is almost villainous. He isn't supposed to make children cry, and that is exactly what this attraction does! I would not be the slightest bit disappointed if Disney decided to do away with it.

Wait.. Didn't Stitch start out as a villain in the beginning of the movie. Wasn't he genetically created to have all of the perfect villain qualities and no remorse but, somehow, a little Hawaiian girl got through to him despite all of that?

oneillkat

Wait.. Didn't Stitch start out as a villain in the beginning of the movie. Wasn't he genetically created to have all of the perfect villain qualities and no remorse but, somehow, a little Hawaiian girl got through to him despite all of that?
Yes, Stitch was created by the "evil genius." I know he's supposed to be mischievous, but when the kids watch him in the movie, they are more apt to see the "cute" side. It's a shock to the kids when they get on the ride and it feels like a horror movie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom