WED's Think Different Challenge!

ctxak98

Bonus Challenge for Everyone: What gag would you add to the Haunted Mansion?
I would maybe add a ghost trying to take a drink of something and all of it just falling to the ground....because he is a ghost! and He gets mad at himself and keep doing it over and over again!

jdmdisney99

A ghost who appears in a straight jacket who is crazy. The term "Don't lose your head" becomes literal when, using a projection effect, the ghosts head disappears. A sign in front of it says "HELP WANTED! I've lost my head!

BryceM

A foyer in the mansion with two ghosts seated in leather chairs, reading a paper. They turn to look their heads at riders, then they both start to laugh. As they laugh, their heads detach and float to the opposite ghost. Then they return to their normal position before starting the cycle over again.

Matt7187

Well, hello everybody! I have been contacted by @WED99 to be a fill in for the contest. Here is my idea:

The America Story
c1c6383ffae5cbde8beeccb16426ecd0_zpse167c9ea.jpg

Welcome to The America Story! This is a great walk through attraction of American history. It will replace the current show in the theater. Scenes are mixed between screens and AA's.

Facade: The facade will remain the same, but the building will be expanded to fit the attraction.

Queue: This attraction will feature a state of the art queuing system which you will get a "document" that says the time you can come back so you don't have to stand and wait for a walk through attraction!

PreShow: You start by entering the building and walking into a room where you will meet your tour guide, who will be wearing clothing from the 1770's. He/she will then tell you how we will be going on a special journey through history.

Show: First, we see our fore fathers signing the declaration of independence (AA). We then walk through a battle in the American Revolution, specifically the Battle of Concord, where we see up on a hill the troops firing on each other (AA). We then go to a room in England where we see the signing of the treaty of Ghent(AA). After that, we are now in the industrial revolution, where we walk through a factory and see the harsh conditions(AA). We then are struck with another war, where we witness the Battle of Gettysburg (screen) . After that, we see Abe Lincoln giving the Gettysburg Address (AA). We are told the ending of the war, and then we continue. Then we go to a screen room, where we see many tragedies through some years, including the dust bowl, the Great Depression, and the 2 world wars. Then, we go into a room where we see Martin Luther King Jr. Give his most famous speech in AA form. Then we go into another screen room, where we hear "one small step for man, one giant step for mankind" as we see the moon landing on the screen, then we see Nixon resigning over Watergate, the Miracle Olympic hockey team winning in 1980, and then the tragic attack on September 11th. But in the next AA room, we see Barack Obama getting sworn in as the first African American president. Now our guide tells us, "things sure do seem to be looking up for America." We now enter a domed room where we see Fourth of July fireworks and we are all now happy.

THE END!!!

I hope you guys liked it. :)

champdisney

"A Walk with Walt"

This walk through attraction will replace the current "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" at Disney's Hollywood Studios and also take over the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show, connecting the buildings for this magical journey into Walt's extraordinary life. The interactive gallery that features memorabilia and unseen portraits/photos of Walt Disney's life and the early beginnings of the Walt Disney Company will remain untouched. Each party will consist of at least 15 people to keep the lines moving and each party will also be given a codename, for instance. If you're in a party, cast members will give you the name "Team Mickey" or "Team Goofy" etc... and when it is your time, those same cast members will call upon the name of your party as a way to get your party started and situated.

Once your party has been called up, the cast member leads you in front of the "Disney Vault" where guests will then meet their tour guide, who in the storyline of the attraction has an absolute fascination over Walt. After the comedic introduction, the tour guide explains his/hers excitement simply because behind the vaults door lies Walt's most proudest moments of his life as he overcomes hardships and becomes entertainment's most successful man. The overly excited tour guide finally opens up the door of the vault as he invites guests inside into a pitch black room, that is where the tour finally begins.

Story: As everyone has entered the darkened room, your tour guide closes the vault door shut leaving nothing but darkness. The tour guide informs guests to stand tight because in approximately 10 seconds Walt's world will be revealed before your very own eyes. The tour guide has guests countdown from 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... WALLAH! The lights turn on and guests are submerged into the first room titled "Walt's Memory Lane" in that room features a high-definition circle-vision screen that will play a tribute video package of Walt. Afterwards, the tour guide will lead you to the second room titled "Walter E., Who?" in which you'll come across an audio-animatronic child version of Walt horse playing with his older siblings on the family farm. Room three: "World War Walt" will submerge guests on the combat field as you witness Walt haul through as an ambulance driver determined to save the lives of the US soldiers. Room four: "Hollywood Hits Walt" this room will feature more than one scene as opposed to the others, it will feature the moment Walt stepped foot off the train overlooking Hollywood, California to then creating the highly successful Oswald the Lucky Rabbit character to then losing Oswald. Room five: "It All Started With a Mouse" will display the creation of Mickey Mouse and all of Walt's glory, guests will even see another HD circle-vision screen displaying the earliest Mickey shorts. Room six: "Disneyland" will put you right front and center of Walt's dedication day speech. Room seven: "Walt Thanks You!" is a room much like the first room where guests will see more Walt tribute packages combined with current Disney events. To end it, the room goes dark after the clip and moments later a heavenly Walt appears in holographic form talking directly to the guests thanking them: "If it weren't for you, none of this would have been made possible..." As soon as Walt says "none of this" the room brightens up with fountains of water shooting from a lower floor level and a clear shot view of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty's Castle on one side of the room and Walt Disney World's Cinderella's Castle on the other. Walt even thanks the tour guide for taking such interest in him and advises him that in order to accomplish anything in life, you must first follow your own dreams. Walt then leaves off with a goodbye leaving the room to once again blackened in darkness, the happy-go-lucky tour guide opens up the vault door, ending our tour.

This attraction will feature state of the art special effects and audio-animatronic figures along with outstanding audio and original music scores to bring an authentic walk-thru experience of Walt Disney's remarkable life.

ctxak98

So my proposal this week is going to be very different from what I have done in the past. This week has been fun yet challenging because it cannot be an attraction that uses a ride vehicle, so obviously we are limited. I decided to go ahead and combine a bunch of things into one, to make this attraction very unique yet have the appeal to anyone of any age.

http://cdn.mhpbooks.com/uploads/2013/03/sherlock-holmes.jpg

The attraction will be called “Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery Within”. This is going to be a adventure that invites guests into Sherlock Holmes Home for a dinner party, but it soon turns into a full out investigation and mystery when someone suddenly goes missing. This experience will be a mix of a dining experience, a stage show, and a walk through. The attraction will be located in Epcot at the UK area and have 6 shows a day. Yes I know that 6 shows may be limited but its a different kind of attractions so reservations are needed. I wish there wouldnt have to be but due to the show and kind of performance it is, there is a limited number of people it can fit per night.

This attraction is actually inspired by show I went to not long ago called “Sherlock Holmes and a Regrettable Engagement” This show was amazing and it was a murder Mystery type of thing that had us over and they performed a show within an old mansion instead of your typical theatre. This show was engaging and very creative. I was so inspired that I decided Disney could use this, but with even more Magic touches to it. Now my attraction is not the same at all so dont think I just stole a good idea!

So the story goes that Sherlock Holmes and Watson work together and figure out different detective crimes within there secret base '221 B Baker Street”. Now in recent times Sherlock Holmes has been tracked by certain bad guys and he thought it would be a good idea to move in secrecy before anyone finds them. So Dr. Watson, Holmes, Irene and Mrs Hudson have moved to a new location which is an old Victorian Mansion they like to call “The Safe House”. They have been in there for many months and for a long time Mrs. Hudson( who is the maid or cleaning lady basically who watches over watson and holmes like her own) has begged to throw a party to some of her closest friends. Finally Holmes gives in lets her throw a party.

(Now this is where things may get confusing. For each time the show starts it will be like your a guest entering the mansion for cocktail hour. Now upon entering the park you will need to stop by before your reservation to get your invitation! This invitation will have info on whats going on as well as a menu that you and your party must fill out and drop off when you return! Now as soon as you enter the mansion, you hear period music and see Mrs. Hudson and her staff frantic as ever, running around fetching things and inviting you to explore and eat some finger sandwiches.)

Now as soon as all the guests have had proper time to mingle you are ushered to the great hall. Mrs Hudson explains why Holmes is not here yet and that he will be here shortly along with Dr. Watson. The open rooms to explore are the Library, great Hall, Living Room and Foyer. When Watson and Holmes come into the Great Hall by descending the Stairs they are very suspicious.( at this time there are numerous families(or parties) mixed in with “Guests” who are actually dressed to period and part of the show) Now in this part Holmes goes around and locks the door suddenly and closes all the windows. Mrs Hudson not knowing that any of this was going on, demands to know what is going on. Holmes explains that he allowed this party to happen because he knew that someone has been looking for them and has found them. He mentions to them that with there help he can find this guy and get rid of him once and for all but we have to agree not to leave and do exactly as he says.

So Holmes and Watson then explain the rules of what to do when entering a room and what to stay clear of. ( Each room will have seating for guests but it will all be disguised as furniture and not just some theatre seating) Each room adds a new piece to the puzzle as we search the Kitchen, the trophy room, the ballroom, and the office. finally we hear a gunshot. The gunshot came from upstairs. Holmes goes to check it out and guests follow him up the stairs to the music room. Irene is up there scared because she saw someone at the window. She was holding a gun and shot it at the mans figure. Holmes then suggests we all go into the cellar because it will be much safer there. We each take one of the two elevators down to the cellar. (down in the Cellar is where the rest of the Mystery will Unveil. Holmes is suspecting someone in this room with us is the suspect.) At the end Holmes discovers one of the people in the room is Professor Moriarty, One of Sherlocks biggest enemies. Turns out he was there to poison Holmes but his plans failed as we never made it dinner.

I don’t have ALL the details of the story panned out yet and I am thinking the story could even change from month to month or something. But I don’t want to go into too much detail, and I dont really have too much time either! So anyways at the end Mrs. Hudson and everyone thank us for the investigation help and they realize they never fed the guests! And everyone is ushered into the Dining Hall which is located at the back of the Restaurant and every table is labeled by Party name and the food will already be ready and waiting at the tables. While guests eat there meals at the Safe House. Another Group will be starting the show portion. It will be a rotating attraction. There will be two different casts and they switch off and on throughout the day! The cast from yours will join you throughout dinner and stay in character while you eat and meet with each table!

Well thats my idea but due to exams I cannot go into the detail I wish I could! But hope you like it!

Sam Magic

Proposal 1 ; Challenge 2: Sorin over Brazil!

This weeks proposal takes place in a new Brazilian themed land at Animal Kingdom. Due to the limitations required of this weeks challenge I tried thinking of a ride that would entertain and thrill guest while also showcasing a beautiful land. From that this attraction was born, based off a scene in the film Rio, this ride will take guest sorin through the beautiful Brazilian landscape.

HOW IT WORKS
Guest would begin by boarding a hang glider for three people :
6fa6w0.jpg

Once tightly secured to the vehicle it would begin its travel through the Amazon Rain Forest and land in a fictional Rio.

ITS TRAVEL
The ride would go through an artificial re-creation of the Amazon Rainforest, while the forest it far from Rio the rest of the land is based in Rio so I felt there should be a land tie in. The forest itself would be a faithful re-creation of the beautiful rain forest throughout the nation and South American Continent. Plants including unique and colorful flowers, luscious trees, and audioanamotronic animals could be seen from the vehicle. Now the ride would not be just a straight line but rather be a caterpillar line with twist and turns to give the feeling of flying. In order for the ride to go fast the line would slowly descend, making the launch pad higher than the land pad. The line would be two story's high at its peak and 1 story high at the "bottom".

DETAILS
Mist would spray down over the setting in guest and a use of a few screens aligned on the wall would give the effect that the forest stretches on forever.

The Location of this ride would be in a new Brazilian land in between Asia and Africa at DAK. This ride would be the entrance to the land (along with a normal entrance) taking up most of the showbuilding.

CLOSING
Well thats my proposal, thank you for reading and hope you appreciate my idea.

jdmdisney99

MAGICAL MUSIC OF THE MOVIES
This brand new experience takes plafe at a new take of the Hollywood Bowl that appears in one of my new WDHS lands, Highland Avenue. This show, unlike other experiences at the park, doesn't focus on the making of movies, or the visuals themselves, but the music behind the majesty of the movies. Some classic hits are played by an animatronic band while random clips of movies play on screens above. Throughout the show, the band gets better and better at matching a soundtrack with it's actual source film. By the end you have and epic performance. Stagnant fountains around the stage suddenly come alive for the finale and begin to dance and illuminate with the music as a nice touch. Some films featured include;
-Gone With the Wind
-Fantasia
-Mary Poppins
-Sound of Music
-The Muppet Show
-Star Wars
-Indiana Jones
-Titanic
-The Chronicles of Narnia
-The Artist
-Skyfall/James Bond
-Movie Music Magic Finale Arrangement

WED99

Original Poster
@Turtle, The challenge was to make an attraction. I feel you gave me 3 quarters retail and one quarter attraction. I have also noticed something you tend to do when describing rides. You often compare to other attractions (e.g. Imagine the Legend of Jack Sparrow and Poseidon's Fury had a baby). This is a bad habit. If you want your attractions to stand out and have people visualizing them in their heads you need to describe in detail. Back to Gracy Quarters, the idea of having to wait in line to enter the area sounds rather annoying. How exactly do you plan to keep track of the number of people inside? I think a separate line for the walk through only would have sufficed. I'm all for expanding Haunted Mansion but you just missed the target on this one.

@BryceM, Excellent post. The attraction was presented very well and with a couple story adjustments I could imagine it in a Disney park. But, there are still a couple problems. First problem, you didn't explain how the skeleton would work. I assumed it was an AA in which case I would have loved for you to explain how you got a skeleton AA to work! It was a major part of the attraction that I felt had little explanation. The second problem, and biggest problem, is the location. Sure Japan has Samurais and the ride takes place in Japan, but is World Showcase the best spot for it? If you look at all the other World Showcase attractions they celebrate the culture and beauty of each nation, your attraction just has some cursed samurai skeletons. Then again, I couldn't think of anywhere else on property. Nice post.

@Matt7187, "And we are all now happy" Sorry Matt but I'm not. This is one of your most lacking posts in my opinion. First problem, it was unnecessary. American Adventure takes in a lot of people and is a great show, why change it? Second problem, your description is almost not there at all. You told me what each scene was but there was no detail what so ever. Keep in mind you're explaining this to an Australian whose knowledge of American history is pretty much what I can pick up at the Disney parks. For the next challenge I really want you to push your boundaries and take your descriptive writing to the next level. No more of this categories with a basic summary stuff, I wanna see what you can really do! 1 point because I was so harsh.

@ChampDisney, I'm not sure whether I like or hate this. Your descriptive skills were average and you missed the most important chunk of Walt's life (creation of the feature films). The again, I think it could be a cool way for guests to discover Walt's life. The idea of an AA Walt to me is just creepy but. To sum it all up, your presentation and concept was average, but I think a short film would still do him more justice. 1 point because YOLO

@ctxak98, It is most likely due to your exams but this might be one of your least memorable posts. The concept itself is very different and could work, but six shows per day just wouldn't be worth the money it would take to build. As for the show itself, it may be due to your lack of detail in this post but the story just seemed boring. So we eat, walk through a few rooms, investigate a gun shot, then find the bad guy in the cellar? Not really worth the hour or two you're giving up in my opinion. I really expected much more from you.

@Sam4D23, The challenge said guests couldn't be in a ride vehicle. I suggest reading the rules next time. (Worst part is I just wrote you a whole paragraph about how I like the idea then realized it broke the rules)

@jdmdisney99, Although lacking in detail I can fully visualize your show in my head, and it's good. However, I would make some adjustments. I'd ditch the "band slowly gets better" thing. Guests will just think your band sucks. Also to help increase the atmosphere how about some pyrotechnics? Nothing major just a couple fizzes and pops. Well done.

ctxak98

[quote="WED99, post: 5502308, member: 85101
@ctxak98, It is most likely due to your exams but this might be one of your least memorable posts. The concept itself is very different and could work, but six shows per day just wouldn't be worth the money it would take to build. As for the show itself, it may be due to your lack of detail in this post but the story just seemed boring. So we eat, walk through a few rooms, investigate a gun shot, then find the bad guy in the cellar? Not really worth the hour or two you're giving up in my opinion. I really expected much more from you.

.[/quote]
Yeah sorry! This week was rough and I promise its not as boring as it sounds! its actually very entertaining! but I can see why It seemed not worth the money! I will do better next time I promise!

WED99

Original Poster
[quote="WED99, post: 5502308, member: 85101

Yeah sorry! This week was rough and I promise its not as boring as it sounds! its actually very entertaining! but I can see why It seemed not worth the money! I will do better next time I promise![/quote]
You know that cost you a point right?

WED99

Original Poster
Challenge Three: It's Tough to beat a Bug

It's tough to be a bug is the 4-D attraction located under the Tree of Life. This is arguably the best 4-D attraction at any Disney Park due to it's great story, queue, theatre and of course, effects.

Watching a Disney 4D film used to be something special. Something that would have people lining up for hours. Unfortunately, in recent years the 3D gimmick has become overused and lost it's wow factor. Lines on It's Tough to be a Bug average at 5 minutes now. Most people assume 3D is dead and we should move on, I think differently.

This week's challenge requires contestants to create the next gen 4D attraction in the theme park of their choice. Guests must remain in one position during the entire show. I am looking for new types of effects to enhance the experience. Any questions will be answered in the Discussion thread.

Good Luck.

WED99

Original Poster
Bonus Challenge: Happy Criticism Day!

Every now and again I find myself going through the Imagineer forums and pointing out every problem I see, not holding back. I'll be honest, it feels great! So I decided to let all of you experience it for a day. Until Midnight (Australian time) you are all allowed to post without losing points BUT it must be related to criticism.

Whether you are criticizing someone's past idea or replying to some criticism, no points will be deducted. To sweeten this deal even more, everyone who posts a criticism will receive 3 points (limit to 3 points per person).

So go on folks, get nasty! You've only got 20 hours ;)

ctxak98

My criticism response goes to @Alien for his first post on this competition. Although he is no longer in this competition I thought it could help a bit! I think firstly that by Changing Spaceship Earth, you have to remember you are changing one of the last original Parts of Epcot Center. Which if you do, you have to get it right! I felt like his idea was ok but it didn't do anything for me in terms of an overall theme to Epcot and the importance of Communication. If you would have just updated the original and finished off the ending and made it a little different it would have been fine! changing the whole story kind of made me sad! We need some Original Epcot back into Epcot because I feel like it lost its spark of creativity!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom