WED's Think Different Challenge!

Turtle

Final Challenge: 1955

In case you all forgot, this is the Think Different Challenge. It's all about Thinking Different (No copyright intended Apple ;) ). I really wanted to emphasis this for the final challenge and stretch you guys to your limits.

I've read a lot of your guys posts. You're great at presenting these extravagant high tech E-Ticket rides that are almost impractical, so what if this wasn't an option? What if you were sitting in Walt's office in 1953 and he told you he wants you to design him an opening day dark ride for Disneyland. How would you do it? Well that's your final challenge, give Walt his dark ride!

Keep in mind the following things. Technology in 1953 was limited compared to today. If you want to include something more high tech than the original AA figures or a moving vehicle then you have to prove that it existed! If you don't, you will be ranked lower. Another thing to note, Disneyland was built on a budget. Around $17 million (You could have built 12 Disneylands for the same amount it took to build Radiator Springs Racers!), so money is an important factor to remember. If you present an over the top ride that is much too long and complicated you will be ranked lower.

So to summarize, you have to design a simple dark ride (story and location up to you) that meets Walt's standards and does not exceed what was possible in 1953. It is due 30/6.

Oh and one last thing. It has come to my attention that it is almost impossible for @jdmdisney99 to lose, I realized this would be unfair and might affect the amount of effort other contestants put into the challenge. So I decided the winner of this challenge wins the entire competition, the points then decide second and third.

Good Luck!
my entry is a dark ride themed to Dumbo using a ride vehicle and cardboard cut-outs, Walt. i don't have time to write a proposal so I'd rather fail with bad content than fail with nothing!

WED99

Original Poster
Wow, this is embarrassing. It seems I've made a mistake. Last week when I did the rankings I was at an airport just about to leave so I was in quite the rush. I seem to have mixed it around a fair bit. I noticed it while scrolling through and have made changes. I apologize for any inconvenience but it shouldn't be a problem since winner of this challenge takes the gold :)

Sam Magic

WED Enterprises

Disneyland dark ride concept: The chicken dumpling gang

This ride is based on a wanna-be gang of thieves that fail at every attempt of robbery in Frontier Land on Tom Sawyer island.

The ride vehicle is styled like New Orleans carriage with fake horses pulling it through the ride. They can fit twelve guest and a total of six carts allow over 72 guest at a time.

The ride has over 7 scenes that tell the unique and humorous story of the gang. In the first scene we are introduced to the gangs members: Dandy, Handy, and Sammy as they start a shooting at the local salon. After having to pay or be hung they decide to pay by stealing money. In scene two we see them fail at trying to rob the town bank because Dandy forgets to grab the money, In scene three they try to rob a train but also fail because they can't run fast enough to catch it. In scene four they try to rob a store but they take the items rather than the money. Then on their way back to town they run into Indians for scene five. After being beaten up by the indians they return to town where they are to be locked up in prison for not paying the town in scene Six. In the end we see the gang having to raise chickens as a penalty. Audio animatronics would portray the gang and other characters. Audio recordings would play for the shootings, yelling, and assorted sound effects. The gang would also be featured around the land playing jokes on guest. This ride would bring more humor and interest into Frontier Land.

This weeks project was a true challenge and a branching from my comfort zone so I would like to thank WE'D for all the challenges and wish everyone good luck.

WED99

Original Poster
I wanna start by saying congratulations on making it this far. I know I'm not the friendliest of judges but some of you have really embraced that and shown me what you are really capable of.

@Turtle - You did explain to me you had no time and I understand, it's a shame but good job on finishing. I'm afraid after that Walt might feel slightly insulted and tell you to get out :p

@Sam4D23 - I like the original story. It offers much potential, something Walt would appreciate. I can picture it working with the technology available which is great. My main problem with it is the location. Tom Sawyer Island was based on the Mark Twain novel "Tom Sawyer", so putting a dark ride there that is unrelated is something I feel Walt would not be fond of. I think the fake horse pulled carriages is a great feature, however jdmdisney did post it in his post first so I have to give him the credit, sorry (not accusing you of plagiarism just playing it safe). Well done!

@jdmdisney99 - This pitch started strong, I thought it could have been your best work, then out of no where it plummeted. I feel like your main dark ride is only getting started when you bring it to a close. It sounded like a nice concept. The horse carriages would have been great and the fast paced action could have made it a hit, but that missing climax really ruined you on this one. The rest of the area was fine, however two shops with the same merchandise wouldn't have been the best use of money back then. Well done, I just wish you could have finished stronger. 1 point for the horse idea.

WED99

Original Poster
The final rankings are....

1st - @Sam4D23 (Winner!)
2nd - @jdmdisney99 (40 points)
3rd - @Turtle (20 points)

Well done to all of you and thanks to everyone who competed. Judging turned out to be a lot harder than I expected so I look forward to returning to competing! Once again, well done and thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom