WDW Resort Big Plans & Projects Before the 50th

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
In studying that map of CBR, are they really removing almost two whole "islands" for a DVC? Wow they are really shrinking CBR. But, why? Why not just build the DVC in the empty lot across from Trinidad South?
From the sounds of it on other threads, CBR plans are still being finalized and that this is the first phase of this resorts refurb.

P_Radden

Original Poster
From the sounds of it on other threads, CBR plans are still being finalized and that this is the first phase of this resorts refurb.

There are other plans for the land across from Trinidad south
Although it is a large building, I imagine the CBR south transfer station will have more to it than what is seen on the permit, i.e. parking lot, bus zone, guest access, etc. If it becomes somewhat of a T&TC2 (just maybe without the ticket booth), that could become a very busy area.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think their problem with hotel rooms was that they had too much "deluxe" inventory because guests don't see the value at those price points as built. They're fixing that by converting deluxe to DVC and taking a new strategy for increasing revenue at nondeluxe hotels. The gondolas and the proximity of the new hotels to parks is part of that strategy....something totally lost when they built the AK resort. I guess the upscale resort(s) in the DHS/Epcot area are targeted at an older audience and the higher prices they might be willing to pay to be close to SWL and EPCOT festivals. If the new EPCOT resort has direct access to a park like the GC, the festivals will be right on the doorstep.
I'm not sure the problem was too much inventory at the deluxe resorts but rather too high price points. The rooms were eventually getting sold. I also think that converting deluxe rooms to DVC is less about filling rooms that were going vacant and more about spreading costs to operate the resorts to DVC members. It makes the remaining rooms that much more profitable when half the overhead cost is covered by DVC. CBR adding DVC will allow a portion of the costs of the new gondola to be covered by DVC dues just like BLT, Poly and VGF owners pay a portion of the operating costs of the resort monorail line.

I think you are correct that it's all about increasing revenues. The gondola project is just the tip of the plan to reinvent the resort classes and make more from existing resorts. They are taking moderate rooms away from CBR and replacing them with DVC rooms. The remaining rooms at CBR will almost be guaranteed to see an increase in price due to the gondolas. AoA and Pop already had prices higher than the all stars. That disparity is almost guaranteed to grow. CSR is getting 500 new rooms and at least some will be suites and concierge level rooms. The bulk of the original nearly 2,000 rooms will still be around but will likely get a new higher price point after they are refurbed too. Mr Spirit also hinted at a possible new resort right next to EPCOT which will be high end deluxe and DVC. I don't think we will see any new resorts at the value price level. These days it's all about per guest spending.

I think it makes a lot of sense to do all of this by the time SWL opens since these resorts are the closest non-deluxe resorts in proximity to DHS. If they really tackle updating EPCOT in the years following SWL opening that area will be in really high demand for the better part of a decade.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not sure the problem was too much inventory at the deluxe resorts but rather too high price points. The rooms were eventually getting sold. I also think that converting deluxe rooms to DVC is less about filling rooms that were going vacant and more about spreading costs to operate the resorts to DVC members. It makes the remaining rooms that much more profitable when half the overhead cost is covered by DVC. CBR adding DVC will allow a portion of the costs of the new gondola to be covered by DVC dues just like BLT, Poly and VGF owners pay a portion of the operating costs of the resort monorail line.

I think you are correct that it's all about increasing revenues. The gondola project is just the tip of the plan to reinvent the resort classes and make more from existing resorts. They are taking moderate rooms away from CBR and replacing them with DVC rooms. The remaining rooms at CBR will almost be guaranteed to see an increase in price due to the gondolas. AoA and Pop already had prices higher than the all stars. That disparity is almost guaranteed to grow. CSR is getting 500 new rooms and at least some will be suites and concierge level rooms. The bulk of the original nearly 2,000 rooms will still be around but will likely get a new higher price point after they are refurbed too. Mr Spirit also hinted at a possible new resort right next to EPCOT which will be high end deluxe and DVC. I don't think we will see any new resorts at the value price level. These days it's all about per guest spending.

I think it makes a lot of sense to do all of this by the time SWL opens since these resorts are the closest non-deluxe resorts in proximity to DHS. If they really tackle updating EPCOT in the years following SWL opening that area will be in really high demand for the better part of a decade.

You mean ALL the cost of the resort is borne by DVC. Making CRO insanely profitable. It's always amazed me that housekeeping dues in Orlando are 4x the cost of a similar property in Manhattan with Daily housekeeping. Unless of course DVC is actually paying the entire housekeeping nut and using creative accountants to hide that fact

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You mean ALL the cost of the resort is borne by DVC. Making CRO insanely profitable. It's always amazed me that housekeeping dues in Orlando are 4x the cost of a similar property in Manhattan with Daily housekeeping. Unless of course DVC is actually paying the entire housekeeping nut and using creative accountants to hide that fact
They aren't paying all of the cost. We've been down this road before. All of the expenses are audited by an independent public accounting firm. There's no way that a large number of people are colluding to help charge more to DVC owners. There would be no incentive either for those individuals. Also remember that DVC is a separate division from the hotels. Why would an accountant or even senior management at DVC care to make the hotels more profitable. They aren't getting credit for that.

Tin foil hats and conspiracy theory aside, they do share the costs of common amenities like transportation, parking lots, pools and in some cases Bell Services. I'm assuming the allocation is based on the number of rooms each side uses in a given year. Since DVC is 95%+ full they take a nice chunk of the common costs, probably not over 50% but still a decent amount of money. Let's take BLT for an example. Owners will pay $1.8M for transportation for 2017. That covers a portion of the monorail, buses and boat. They didn't add extra buses or monorails when BLT was built and there is no dedicated DVC transportation so the CR has reduced their overall costs by $1.8M by having DVC owners pay for a portion of the transportation expenses. That's pure profit for CR. This also applies to things like real estate taxes, security, certain maintenance items related to shared common areas, etc...It allows the hotels to increase profits by shifting some of the fixed costs to the DVC side.

WildcatDen

Hardly actually for the 50th though is it? More like proposed projects for the next six years. Perhaps rename the thread?

Not that there aren't plans for each park for 2021.
Serpico has been fairly quiet in 2017, but your "Plans for 2021" comment matches what was last discussed. If it is not cut or drastically reduced even the most hard core doom and gloomer will be hard pressed to complain

Kamikaze

DAK turning 20 next year blows my mind. I was 16 when they opened...well 15 years, 11 months :D

I was at DAK's preview week. Can't believe it was 19 years ago. I vividly remember being in the first ever public ITTBAB, and riding the Discovery River Boats with the dragon rocks working.

And on KS and they had CMs playing the roles of the poachers and wardens. Actual live CMs.

OliveMcFly

I was at DAK's preview week. Can't believe it was 19 years ago. I vividly remember being in the first ever public ITTBAB, and riding the Discovery River Boats with the dragon rocks working.

And on KS and they had CMs playing the roles of the poachers and wardens. Actual live CMs.
We were just talking about the original boat ride. I remember seeing the DAK preview in MK.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney builds during down times in anticipation of a higher number of guests in years coming out of a "downturn". They are obviously looking at the current dip in attendance as a "downturn", and I think it's been publicly stated that they (DIS) are expecting an uptick in guests with SWL in 2019/2020 and with the 50th anniversary in 2021. And, as has been stated in many threads here, hotel occupancy is around 90%. The bean counters obviously believe they can add more non-DVC rooms and keep occupancy numbers high enough to ensure a healthy profit margin for the resorts for years to come.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's also been stated that DIS is looking to do away with the Value/Moderate/Deluxe classifications and instead have area-based resort classifications. This will allow DIS to implement a demand-based pricing model for hotels, presumably allowing for a higher profit margin on the exact same rooms because they will be free of the "shackles" that come along with the current resort classifications. Look for any resort near DHS to be priced higher come 2019, Epcot area resorts to be priced higher during F&W (at a minimum), MK area resorts priced higher from September thru the end of the year, etc.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Disney builds during down times in anticipation of a higher number of guests in years coming out of a "downturn". They are obviously looking at the current dip in attendance as a "downturn", and I think it's been publicly stated that they (DIS) are expecting an uptick in guests with SWL in 2019/2020 and with the 50th anniversary in 2021. And, as has been stated in many threads here, hotel occupancy is around 90%. The bean counters obviously believe they can add more non-DVC rooms and keep occupancy numbers high enough to ensure a healthy profit margin for the resorts for years to come.
I agree totally. I remember going in 2013 and seeing the SDMT being built, which is around the time I started following threads on here. From the video game to the video's disney shared for months online, built up so much excitement for my family when we ween back in 2014. And it was worth the wait for my 3 nephews when we went back. One can say that Disney is always building something or refurbishing something else... But its the anticipation of whats to come, whats going to be new, with all your favorites the next time you go. With so much being added to all the parks over the next 4 years, I would tend to believe that an increase in visitor traffic leads more towards the build up adding more rooms. Same goes to infrastructure updates being happening now, because the traffic will soon increase. Pro-active vs. Re-active. Lets prepare for something thats about to get a whole lot busier and bigger.

doctornick

Since it was more general stuff leading up to the 50th, I though I'd put this post from @Magic Feather here

When it comes to EPCOT, Rat/BatB should not be one of the 50th offerings. In EPCOT, expect a not GotG FW and not Rat WS project. AK will still get things, but by far the short end of the stick (as long as a certain proposal doesn't get through). HS will get a few things non TSL/ SWE. And Mk will get the bulk.

So, prior to the 50th (in addition to Pandora, Toy Story, Star Wars, Mickey LPS ride), perhaps we'd see the GotG ride and Ratatouille open in Epcot. I'm guessing that would be in the 2020 timeframe for an opening

For the 50th itself, s/he indicates that they would be other Epcot offerings (a new country maybe? or other country getting a ride? FW improvements, at least with Innoventions?) . DHS might get other stuff and maybe something at DAK.

What would "the bulk" be at MK? A new potential ride in Tomorrowland has been hinted, in addition to a Stitch replacement. Quite possibly a new light parade and/or fireworks show. Perhaps new attention turned back to Frontierland for an attraction?

Magic Feather

Since it was more general stuff leading up to the 50th, I though I'd put this post from @Magic Feather here

So, prior to the 50th (in addition to Pandora, Toy Story, Star Wars, Mickey LPS ride), perhaps we'd see the GotG ride and Ratatouille open in Epcot. I'm guessing that would be in the 2020 timeframe for an opening

For the 50th itself, s/he indicates that they would be other Epcot offerings (a new country maybe? or other country getting a ride? FW improvements, at least with Innoventions?) . DHS might get other stuff and maybe something at DAK.

What would "the bulk" be at MK? A new potential ride in Tomorrowland has been hinted, in addition to a Stitch replacement. Quite possibly a new light parade and/or fireworks show. Perhaps new attention turned back to Frontierland for an attraction?
The bulk will be plussing and refurbs. Lots and lots of plussing and refurbs. (At MK) Like how DL got a new Yeti and Hatbox.

doctornick

The bulk will be plussing and refurbs. Lots and lots of plussing and refurbs. (At MK) Like how DL got a new Yeti and Hatbox.

Okay, that wouldn't be bad thing though not as splashy as new rides for most guests. Hopefully that will include a big refurb for Space (and for that matter for the TTA as it passes through that building). Certainly, there are updates for HM, BTMRR, and PPF that could be done just by bringing over DL stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom