Water park hours reduced for summer 2016

rael ramone

The thing about water parks... the guests have this pesky habit of not enjoying the water attractions carrying their wallets...
(not counting guests w/ the Mouse Arrest Band connected to a credit card).

I imagine the way they are set up (lots of waiting for single person slides, a small amount of retail away from the action and just quick service food), they probably feel it doesn't give them the per guest spending that contributes sufficiently towards the Buyback Fund.

cmoliver68

Wasn't there something sent out a couple of months ago where the water parks were going to host special events for DVC members? Maybe this is the reason for closing early.

raven

Wasn't there something sent out a couple of months ago where the water parks were going to host special events for DVC members? Maybe this is the reason for closing early.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Once again, the mouse bows to the higher paying guests.

culturenthrills

It also really screws those who have the after 2 pm water park pass. They have stayed open until 8 during the summertime for years now. Just seems like a way to cut 2 hours out of the day to save them some money. Might help boost Aquatica and Wet and Wild this summer with their longer hours.

raven

It also really screws those who have the after 2 pm water park pass. They have stayed open until 8 during the summertime for years now. Just seems like a way to cut 2 hours out of the day to save them some money. Might help boost Aquatica and Wet and Wild this summer with their longer hours.
I think Wet N Wild still has the "pay for a day, go all year" perk. Closing in a year but those slides are amazing!

prberk

I think Wet N Wild still has the "pay for a day, go all year" perk. Closing in a year but those slides are amazing!

Is Wet-n-Wild closing? That has been in Florida for generations.

(Now that you mention it, maybe I did see something about it closing.)

When is it closing and why?

maxairmike

Is Wet-n-Wild closing? That has been in Florida for generations.

(Now that you mention it, maybe I did see something about it closing.)

When is it closing and why?

Closing at the end of the year to make way for Volcano Bay up the road next to Cabana Bay (WnW has been operated by Universal for a while now).

I understand that Disney has a continuous habit of modifying theme park hours a couple of weeks or even days in advance. Has Disney historically changed water park hours at all over the past few years or are they mostly just set in stone? Was planning to hit the water parks in august and I too noticed the shortened hours.

71jason

Normally I'm quick to jump on the Mouse, but in this case, water parks just don't stay busy past 6. The after-2 pm passholders get the shaft--assuming that's still a ticket option--but for the most part, most guests won't be around to notice the early close.

Biff215

Just to clarify, I'm not excusing or justifying the cut, just pointing out that the cast might benefit on those later evenings. Blizzard was never lit the way Typhoon was when I was there, but it's equally hard to find things like straws in the sand which is why they eliminated them there years back.

As others have pointed out, the parks tend to empty out around dinner. Still a shame for those who arrive in the afternoon or who want to get their money's worth, especially at today's prices (used to get in for $15 with my cast discount years ago). I just feel like the 10:00 opening will be a disaster with crowds, and I hope that will lead them to at least add back that hour.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I understand that Disney has a continuous habit of modifying theme park hours a couple of weeks or even days in advance. Has Disney historically changed water park hours at all over the past few years or are they mostly just set in stone? Was planning to hit the water parks in august and I too noticed the shortened hours.
That is certainly the case with the 4 main parks, but the water parks, not so much.

hpyhnt 1000

I could give them closing at 7 for safety and most guests having left already, but not the 10am opening. It's Florida, in the summer, at the biggest tourist resort in the world - you should open at 9am.

StarWarsGirl

Wouldn't surprise me.

Once again, the mouse bows to the higher paying guests.
If that's true, explain why the DVC resorts, namely BCV and BWV, haven't received renovations in years while the value resorts always seem to be in excellent shape. The benefits DVC members are getting this year are very rare. Other than discounts and the ocassional special event, Disney in no way bows to DVC members.

Also, Blizzard Beach is not included in the DVC only events. Just Typhoon Lagoon. And they're only a few of them. That alone is not a good reason for consistently closing the parks earlier every evening in July.

StarWarsGirl

I agree with what others have said. Closing earlier isn't a big issue, especially if it is to make sure the park is in good shape or for extra maintenance (Summit Plummit and Slush Gusher have been down quite a bit recently). But in July in Florida...you need to open at 9 am. Although this won't personally affect me because I never make it over to a waterpark (or any park) before 10 am anyway, I still think it should open at 9am.

sWANNISAX

There are only 4 dates I think during the summer that had the party and it was from 8 to 12. I was lucky to be there last year for one and it was pretty awesome. Only thing no open was crush and gusher for some reason.

My Premium annual expires this summer and I'm not renewing. I've had water park access the last two years and have enjoyed it but its not worth the plus the way i use it. I was however waking up earlier for the water park than the actual park because the only way to do it and not wait in massive lines was to be there at rope drop and run to the first slide and then stay ahead of the pack. I was always ready to go by the time it got hot and crowded around 11:30. That first hour or 9-10 was the best! This is a real shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom