Water park hours reduced for summer 2016

Biff215

As a former Blizzard lifeguard, I can understand closing an hour early in the evening. We typically stayed 30-60 minutes past closing and were responsible for getting the park ready for the next day (chairs, small trash, river nets, etc). Doing this in the dark wasn't nearly as effective/efficient, so I'm sure the cast will appreciate the daylight.

I imagine the early closing will affect a much smaller number of guests who stay that late, and Disney might actually benefit as they may leave to eat dinner at more expensive places. But opening at 10:00 during the hottest months is crazy. I would honestly feel like I was wasting valuable vacation time waiting for it to open, as I certainly don't want a big breakfast before a water park day. The lines at the gate will be a ton of fun, I'll choose to be set up at Stormalong Bay by 9:00 and save the $50!

ToTBellHop

As a former Blizzard lifeguard, I can understand closing an hour early in the evening. We typically stayed 30-60 minutes past closing and were responsible for getting the park ready for the next day (chairs, small trash, river nets, etc). Doing this in the dark wasn't nearly as effective/efficient, so I'm sure the cast will appreciate the daylight.

I imagine the early closing will affect a much smaller number of guests who stay that late, and Disney might actually benefit as they may leave to eat dinner at more expensive places. But opening at 10:00 during the hottest months is crazy. I would honestly feel like I was wasting valuable vacation time waiting for it to open, as I certainly don't want a big breakfast before a water park day. The lines at the gate will be a ton of fun, I'll choose to be set up at Stormalong Bay by 9:00 and save the $50!
Agreed! What a waste of the one comfortable (relatively) hour of the normal park hours!

culturenthrills

Only in Orlando would a waterpark close this early, in other parts of the country many waterparks stay open until 9-10 at night. It was already ridiculous that they would close at 8.

mm121

Wow, that's a big cut. To open at 10am in the summer seems really late. All this will do is make the park more crowded at opening as I suspect there will be a crush of people there for 10am. And the 8pm closing is always nice in the summer too. It's still sunny, and ridiculously hot in July.

As Disney has a history of posting limited hours and then expanding them later, I wonder if hours will be officially extended as we get closer to summer.
thats really dumb, i like getting to waterparks early in the day before it gets too hot, and it takes alittle while to get in get things in the locker etc so i could see this making sense if the gates opened at say 9 but then not turn the rides on till 9:30 could maybe be ok, though hard to explain to kids wanting to run right in.

summer is the one time of year when its approriate to have longer hours.
in the winter its not warm enough to got before 10/11am

i just hate paying the same rate for less time, as it feels like then you MUSt get there at opening to get your moneys worth.

also opening later makes it harder to do a quick morning waterpark visit before the other parks, or to visit the waterparks as a way to cool off and relax from the other parks, basically meaning you have to plan a special day to do the waterpark as its harder to combine it with other activies

BRING BACK RIVER COUNTRY.

Just felt that was appropriate. I love the water parks, but it amazes me they were even open til 9 PM in the first place!
would be great to see a return of river county, though I'd bring it back as an adult spa rather than a waterpark, use the tech and design techniques from disney springs to make it look natural, yet make it water seperated from the lake to avoid the brain omeba

it has lights so theres no reason they should have to clean in the dark, at least typhoon has lots of lights

could the change of hours be to make it easier for them to rent the park afterhours for exclusive private parties?

Only in Orlando would a waterpark close this early, in other parts of the country many waterparks stay open until 9-10 at night. It was already ridiculous that they would close at 8.
10 seems a bit late but 7 is definitely way too early especially in the peak of summer, at least stay open till 8:30/9

do the parks ever have hours on the half or are they always on the direct hour?
These are really short summer hours (10 to 7) for a water park.

totally especially in the summer when its light out till like 9

mm121

Is this a move to try to take away crowds from the other parks?

by requiring that people go in the middle of the day?

especially since even more of DHS will be shutdown by summer

optjay

Is this a move to try to take away crowds from the other parks?[/B]

by requiring that people go in the middle of the day?

especially since even more of DHS will be shutdown by summer

More like to steer people and their money towards spending at The Springs, while Disney spends less operating a park

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Might have seen this in 2017 when there is a legitimate chance the water parks could take a hit in attendance due to Volcano Bay opening, but it would seem odd to shorten hours for the 2016 season...

prberk

What no @ford91exploder yet? How long has this thread been open....;) :D

I am sure he will be along. But in the meantime, suffice it to say that this demonstrates his primary thesis: that Disney continues to trim customer experience while continuing to prime the pump on prices. It is not the Disney many of us knew that built the organization that benefits from that goodwill as a foundation today. We knew it as a place that went the extra mile, creating loyal customers who set them on a pedestal.

Not everyone who would go to a waterpark is an all-day visitor. Many have paid for it as a "water parks and more" add-on to the multi-day ticket. This means that it is especially useful to have the early and late hours available for a visit before or after the other parks, especially when you consider transportation time or time to change at your hotel as a part of your planning. But trimming the hours of the water parks makes this less valuable as a "hopper option," even though the "water parks and more" park-hopper option has become increasingly more expensive as an add-on recently.

For me I would more likely be attracted to a peaceful sunset at the water park than to be there in the crush of the crowd at mid-day. I think a summer evening at a pool or beach setting is gorgeous. And as for the cast members enjoying the daylight for cleanup, I get that; but I also understand that the place is (or can easily be) well-lit, and no different than the lighting of a fancy themed hotel pool -- the difference being that the customers have paid a hefty price tag to be there before or after (or instead of) time at the theme parks.

Brad Bishop

Shortening hours of a waterpark in the off season can be justified.
Doing it during the hot & humid summer months?
I cannot wait to see how Disney will try to spin this one as a benefit!

That's the thing that I don't get. It's not like they haven't had record-breaking attendance over the last year. I could understand if we were just past an 9/11 or economic downturn event where they really have to cut back but this really only makes sense to me as: "People are going to pay, anyway." (so why bother opening early or staying open later)

Horizons1

Might have seen this in 2017 when there is a legitimate chance the water parks could take a hit in attendance due to Volcano Bay opening, but it would seem odd to shorten hours for the 2016 season...
Maybe Disney feels Volcano Bay will blow everything they have out of the water (HAHAHA! Get it!?!?) and is doing this in preparation of shutting down their water parks completely.

ToTBellHop

Maybe Disney feels Volcano Bay will blow everything they have out of the water (HAHAHA! Get it!?!?) and is doing this in preparation of shutting down their water parks completely.
Or maybe it's just more in a continuing trend of trying to squeeze more money out of guests while spending less to run the resort as a whole (in the face of enhanced investment in new attractions).

mm121

I am sure he will be along. But in the meantime, suffice it to say that this demonstrates his primary thesis: that Disney continues to trim customer experience while continuing to prime the pump on prices. It is not the Disney many of us knew that built the organization that benefits from that goodwill as a foundation today. We knew it as a place that went the extra mile, creating loyal customers who set them on a pedestal.

Not everyone who would go to a waterpark is an all-day visitor. Many have paid for it as a "water parks and more" add-on to the multi-day ticket. This means that it is especially useful to have the early and late hours available for a visit before or after the other parks, especially when you consider transportation time or time to change at your hotel as a part of your planning. But trimming the hours of the water parks makes this less valuable as a "hopper option," even though the "water parks and more" park-hopper option has become increasingly more expensive as an add-on recently.

For me I would more likely be attracted to a peaceful sunset at the water park than to be there in the crush of the crowd at mid-day. I think a summer evening at a pool or beach setting is gorgeous. And as for the cast members enjoying the dayllight for cleanup, I get that; but I also understand that the place is (or can easily be) well-lit, and no different than the lighting of a fancy themed hotel pool -- the difference being that the customers have paid a hefty price tag to be there before or after (or instead of) time at the theme parks.
it definitely affects the short stay hopper guests who dont plan a special day to do the waterparks

as far as lights I havent been to blizzard at night but typhoon is well lit at night definitely more than light enough to do cleanup, and if things dont get done just have a couple people come in in the morning to give the place a final looking over.
Or maybe it's just more in a continuing trend of trying to squeeze more money out of guests while spending less to run the resort as a whole (in the face of enhanced investment in new attractions).

its definitely a money squeeze, but theres really no reason for it as they keep charging more for less. so the only reason is greed.

are they funneling money from wdw to fund projects at the international parks?

CJR

its definitely a money squeeze, but theres really no reason for it as they keep charging more for less. so the only reason is greed.

are they funneling money from wdw to fund projects at the international parks?

And there is a pretty reasonable chance that ticket prices will rise before July.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom