Water park hours reduced for summer 2016

IMFearless

How often is Typhoon Lagoon open early for extra charge events? I seem to recall surfing lessons being sold for a pretty penny early in the morning a few years ago. Could it be that Disney intends to up sell these additional fee events prior to park opening?

raven

Maybe while they are at it, they can change the names of the water parks. Typhoon always seems to be closed for bad weather and Blizard gets closed due to the cold. Kind of an oxymoron to me.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If that's true, explain why the DVC resorts, namely BCV and BWV, haven't received renovations in years while the value resorts always seem to be in excellent shape. The benefits DVC members are getting this year are very rare. Other than discounts and the ocassional special event, Disney in no way bows to DVC members.

Also, Blizzard Beach is not included in the DVC only events. Just Typhoon Lagoon. And they're only a few of them. That alone is not a good reason for consistently closing the parks earlier every evening in July.

Because the values are the 'Gateway Drug' to Pixie dust addiction, So it's a lot easier to maintain only your lowest priced hotels so the guests assume when they 'step up' they will get same experience.

Biff215

If that's true, explain why the DVC resorts, namely BCV and BWV, haven't received renovations in years while the value resorts always seem to be in excellent shape. The benefits DVC members are getting this year are very rare. Other than discounts and the ocassional special event, Disney in no way bows to DVC members.

Also, Blizzard Beach is not included in the DVC only events. Just Typhoon Lagoon. And they're only a few of them. That alone is not a good reason for consistently closing the parks earlier every evening in July.
BCV and BWV are getting renovated as we speak. Granted they were needed years ago in my opinion, but It is on schedule according to DVC's new plan (soft goods every 7, full reno every 14). Also keep in mind the DVC owners are paying for these through their dues, so they may occur on a different interval than Disney's other resorts. We have stayed a night or two here or there at the values before DVC stays, and never have I thought they were in any better shape (nor did I want to stay again in the future).

Blizzard was never lit nor set up the same way as Typhoon for night events. I have been relatively happy with the perks offered by DVC through the years. No, they're not always the same and can be limited, but I never bought in counting on them either. I see them as a bonus.

StarWarsGirl

BCV and BWV are getting renovated as we speak. Granted they were needed years ago in my opinion, but It is on schedule according to DVC's new plan (soft goods every 7, full reno every 14). Also keep in mind the DVC owners are paying for these through their dues, so they may occur on a different interval than Disney's other resorts. We have stayed a night or two here or there at the values before DVC stays, and never have I thought they were in any better shape (nor did I want to stay again in the future).

Blizzard was never lit nor set up the same way as Typhoon for night events. I have been relatively happy with the perks offered by DVC through the years. No, they're not always the same and can be limited, but I never bought in counting on them either. I see them as a bonus.
They were needed years ago. BCV you can tell for years needed it. Carpet coming up, glass missing in the cabinets. It was shameful. The room I stayed in at Pop several years ago was in better shape than the rooms at BCV or BWV. Food was also better at Pop. Their bus service was even better than BC and BW. I stayed at Pop after years of being used to DVC accommodations and could not find a thing wrong with the accommodations. We stayed at BWV a couple of weeks ago, and the carpet was coming up in the hallways. We have paid enough money for DVC that we expect better.

Besides the Typhoon Lagoon Event, we feel like Disney rarely does anything for us. They can barely keep anything working in their rooms. We've been DVC members for almost 18 years now, and the Typhoon Lagoon Event was the nicest thing DVC has done for us ever. We feel like Disney gives preferential treatment to other guests besides DVC members and have felt that way for years.

Biff215

It's still 5 months until July, who says the hours won't change again like they will for the theme parks? o_O
They certainly could, but @wdwmagic has said the water park hours rarely are changed. I'm betting they at least go back to a 9:00 opening once they see the chaos they create that first week opening at 10.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Wish I could say its a surprise, but when you choose a certain management strategy thats gained you millions its difficult to stop gorging at the trough. Disney used to get around 15 days of my holiday money a year, but with each passing year thats eroded, to the extent we will now give the mouse 5 days money in two years. Thing is Ive discovered there is plenty to see and do beyond the house of the rat, and most of those places seem quite glad of the chance to earn my hard earned money. So like a true capitalist I trade on VFM rather than bitter sweet nostalgia. And if it werent for the fact this years trip is the first as a grandpa theres no way Id be going. the parks are the same e different day.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It also really screws those who have the after 2 pm water park pass. They have stayed open until 8 during the summertime for years now. Just seems like a way to cut 2 hours out of the day to save them some money. Might help boost Aquatica and Wet and Wild this summer with their longer hours.

I'm sure it also has something to do with the volume of lifeguards need. It is one of the few positions offered as FULL TIME entry level and even the CPs are paid more for this assignment. Disney can't just toss anyone new hire in a lifeguard chair. The new hires are taken off sight for a week long training. They are Ellis Lifeguards which has very high standards for emergency removal from water, rotations, breaks, 1, 2 & 3 CPR and rescue breathing. The volume of pools and 2 large water parks, a private pool with open water at that retreat it is a training heavy Cast position and they have to pay Ellis for their written testing and lifeguard certificate and then their are the audits by Ellis. Ellis also this year scheduled a certification class aboard a cruise ship for those CMs guarding aboard. Knocking off two hours a day at a waterpark certainly cuts the overhead while still bringing in relatively the same revenue.

Disney several years ago changed their refurbishment schedule. One park would go down in the fall the other winter but both originally were open for the holidays. That saved a chunk of change too.

COProgressFan

I agree with what others have said. Closing earlier isn't a big issue, especially if it is to make sure the park is in good shape or for extra maintenance (Summit Plummit and Slush Gusher have been down quite a bit recently). But in July in Florida...you need to open at 9 am. Although this won't personally affect me because I never make it over to a waterpark (or any park) before 10 am anyway, I still think it should open at 9am.

Delayed opening is nothing but a money move. Sad but par for the course...

Though I don't agree with it, I can at least see them closing early, IF the crowds aren't there. However, it is a great disservice to those who did take advantage of the later evenings. Just like how it can be fun to be in a seemingly empty MK in the last hour of operation, it's also a lot of fun to be in one of the water parks relatively late. You can get a lot done in that last hour or two. And lest we forget its still ungodly hot in the summer at 8pm.

As far as morning -- I agree, this is cost-cutting, plain and simple. It's going to be a lot harder to get a few good slides in before the crowds arrive, if everyone is getting there at 10am. (With an earlier opening, arrivals would be more staggered over a couple hours).

Remember this is the same group of people who think its a great idea to route every single dripping wet, tired resort guest through a bus to Epcot at Typhoon Lagoon park close. Sometimes I think they're just completely tone deaf to guest concerns.

emcclay

I was told by a co-worker that other far away projects are behind which is the cause for hours being cut across property.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was told by a co-worker that other far away projects are behind which is the cause for hours being cut across property.

As usual executive's ill advised overseas projects draining resources from domestic parks. Eisner with DLP and now Iger with DLP/SDL both money sinks from now until eternity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom