VIDEO - Take a look inside the stunning ballroom of the 'Be Our Guest Restaurant'

Skipper03

Everyone on here is being so negative.... and you're right, they should have just left it an abandonded ride (20K) with Ariel's Grotto... or better yet, just bulldoze it and start over. ;)

It'll be a nice restaurant, what's the big deal?! With the lighting, animatroics, paint, etc... it will all improve what we're seeing right now.

Turn on the lights at Blue Bayou in Disneyland, and I bet everyone would be unimpressed? Even though it's relatively small, it's still an amazing place to sit down and enjoy a meal.

Tom

Beta Return
The size of the ballroom in the film suggests something pretty large. Those are the dimensions the final room should be trying to replicate. The same illusion as in the movie.

And they by no means have to tear out the roof to make the room seem larger. It can be as simple as pushing the illusion by using some sort of forced perspective. They probably already have these things planned out and you won't be able to see it until you are in the room.

Thinking back, did anyone ever EAT in the ballroom? Didn't the Be Our Guest scene take place in a dining hall? I haven't seen the movie in some time, but the room I'm seeing in these videos looks more like the location Belle and Beast danced than where they had dinner. Maybe it's a hybrid.

Regardless, they'd never be able to build a room of a size relative to the rooms in the movie. But I believe they ARE using forced perspective to make it look larger. The balcony railings are scaled down. The windows will look tall from the floor.

Plus, we can't just assume we're eating dinner in the main ballroom of the castle. This could be one of many rooms in the Beast's castle - perhaps even one we didn't see in the movie, or only saw when it was dark.

jt04

Thinking back, did anyone ever EAT in the ballroom? Didn't the Be Our Guest scene take place in a dining hall? I haven't seen the movie in some time, but the room I'm seeing in these videos looks more like the location Belle and Beast danced than where they had dinner. Maybe it's a hybrid.

Regardless, they'd never be able to build a room of a size relative to the rooms in the movie. But I believe they ARE using forced perspective to make it look larger. The balcony railings are scaled down. The windows will look tall from the floor.

Plus, we can't just assume we're eating dinner in the main ballroom of the castle. This could be one of many rooms in the Beast's castle - perhaps even one we didn't see in the movie, or only saw when it was dark.

Imagineering confirmed there will be three different dining rooms. The one seen in the video, the room where the rose is from the movie and a third room of which I am unsure of the details. So there is much more to the complex than has been revealed so far.

JLW11Hi

I think we can assume they are specifically replicating the ballroom scene where they danced.

By the time everyone is in side eating food, checking out the scenery, and seeing all the effects and music, my guess is the size of the place will feel right. As someone else noted, once you turn on the lights in some of the dark rides and places like the Blue Bayou, the rooms can look much smaller than you originally thought. Lighting will have a big part in the illusion I am sure.

AmongMadPeople

Chris Beatty has said the three rooms will be the ballroom, the west wing (aka rose room), and the gallery. I'm not familiar enough with the spaces presented in the movie to know if there is a gallery in it, or if this is being imagined for the restaurant.

Multiple rooms will be nice for repeat guests if the spaces each have a unique look and feel. I wonder how they'll separate them, if you'll be able to see into one from another, etc.

dreamscometrue

So no one knows how we enter the castle?

I believe the only entrance is in the front, just beyond the bridge if you are entering the expansion via the new castle walls. I know the forced perspective from this point of view created by the castle, rockwork and trees is supposed to give the illusion that the castle is quite far away (Chris Beatty said about a mile). I assume the walk to the dining room(s) will give some sense that you are walking a bit of a distance to get there. (I've been wrong before though. :))

coolbeans14

it looks impressive, and I wonder if they have changed the scale to stop it being too echo-y. just think how noisy it would have been with the domed roof.

wdweric2.0

Yet another thread that makes me question the sanity of many members here.

You are SERIOUSLY looking at the video and saying that it doesn't match the movie or concept art?

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS. It's blatantly obvious that this room has yet to be painted. The entire floor is covered in protective sheeting, meaning they're about to paint the living daylights out of the place.

The video is taken from the balcony where you lose ALL of the forced perspective.

There's even a Sonotube (cardboard tube) around one of the columns holding up the balcony - telling me they're likely going to be casting some faux marble columns in those areas, much like in the "real" ballroom.

Disney never promised ANYTHING, and to say that a piece of concept art was a promise is simply absurd, and beyond reason. Concept art is pure marketing - it's not a blueprint.

This place is going to look fantastic when it's done, just like the rest of Fantasyland will, and just like Storybook Circus does already. All you doom-and-gloomers need to get your heads on straight and look at the glass as being half full for a change. This addition to the MK is epic - and in a 100% positive way.

It makes me so sick to see some of you post such idiotic things. I expect this crap from some members, but there are a few of you in this thread who have literally gone off the deep end.

Steve said it best, and all I can do is reiterate that THEY'RE NOT FINISHED!!!! God forbid Disney toss out a little marketing hype to get people excited about this much-needed and long-time-coming project. 99% of the people who saw all this coverage probably had their jaws hit the floor when they saw how Disney is honoring two of their undeniably best animated classics. But the 1% who haunt these boards have nothing but rejection for something that isn't complete, only because they have no idea what they're looking at, nor have any concept of reality vs. fantasy.

Insert giant *sigh* here.

I second this statement.

DaGoof00

You are SERIOUSLY looking at the video and saying that it doesn't match the movie or concept art?

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS. It's blatantly obvious that this room has yet to be painted. The entire floor is covered in protective sheeting, meaning they're about to paint the living daylights out of the place.

The video is taken from the balcony where you lose ALL of the forced perspective.

There's even a Sonotube (cardboard tube) around one of the columns holding up the balcony - telling me they're likely going to be casting some faux marble columns in those areas, much like in the "real" ballroom.

Disney never promised ANYTHING, and to say that a piece of concept art was a promise is simply absurd, and beyond reason. Concept art is pure marketing - it's not a blueprint.

This place is going to look fantastic when it's done, just like the rest of Fantasyland will, and just like Storybook Circus does already. All you doom-and-gloomers need to get your heads on straight and look at the glass as being half full for a change. This addition to the MK is epic - and in a 100% positive way.

It makes me so sick to see some of you post such idiotic things. I expect this crap from some members, but there are a few of you in this thread who have literally gone off the deep end.

Steve said it best, and all I can do is reiterate that THEY'RE NOT FINISHED!!!! God forbid Disney toss out a little marketing hype to get people excited about this much-needed and long-time-coming project. 99% of the people who saw all this coverage probably had their jaws hit the floor when they saw how Disney is honoring two of their undeniably best animated classics. But the 1% who haunt these boards have nothing but rejection for something that isn't complete, only because they have no idea what they're looking at, nor have any concept of reality vs. fantasy.

WELL SAID!!! Thank you!

dreamscometrue

This (x10)!!!! Omg people!

docandsix

Bingo.

I've been trying to avoid looking at photos and progress reports regarding the expansion, hoping that an element of surprise will await my family and me at our next visit. Glancing briefly at the comments in this thread, however, induced me to succumb to temptation. I decided to review the video and scrutinize the source of the furor.

Holy cats. There's so little to see in that clip, and almost all of it from one angle with a human torso in the way to interfere almost completely with any sense of perspective. I'd say it's nearly impossible to know how the finished product will look, and, to the extent that I can tell anything, I'm fairly impressed as regards its similarity to the concept art and to the scene in the film.

If anything, I'd say it looks at bit too much like a banquet hall used for wedding receptions to suit my tastes as things stand right now, but that's before lighting and color have been inserted.

Let's all reserve judgment for six months or so.

Magenta Panther

I thought the interior looked great. Very reminiscent of the movie, and gorgeous to boot. I don't understand why some people here are upset with it???

It isn't so much (to me anyway) that it is off scale, but more that the ceiling looks a bit off. It isn't domed or vaulted, the mural is too large, and there is no gold overlay, but of course, they could be installing this now for all I know. I can't say that I know Disney will get it perfect, but I can sure hope so!

And also, take into consideration that if the room were "to scale," the acoustics would be terrible. You would be able to hear EVERYTHING constantly. Imagine the awful echo!!! May have been an intentional thing really.

Stupido

Alright, I wasn't going to put my two cents in on this topic yet, but here I go.

First and foremost, I believe that we all need to be aware of what has been pointed out several times, this is still a work in progress, and a long way from being finished.

Beauty and the Beast has been my favorite Disney movie since I was four years old, and I was working as a CP when Disney announced the FLE, so needless to say I am very invested in this ballroom.

Alright, I will admit, I'm slightly disappointed with the ceiling. But, as many people have stated, this is still in progress.. who knows what it will look in 6-8 months when it's slated to open. Only time will tell.

However, the thing that interests me the most is the mural. The mural is suppose to be the forest surrounding the castle, and I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. Issue is though, from the video, it seems so dark and dreary. They spent a long time working on that mural, and as of right now, all the details are lost. I hope when it's in full effect, there will be some amazing lighting system for the mural, highlighting the art. But at the same time, it needs to look natural. A moon light effect, if you will.

Regardless of everything, I'm counting the days until I'm sitting in BOG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom