VIDEO - Take a look inside the stunning ballroom of the 'Be Our Guest Restaurant'

Tom

Beta Return
Hold on there mister dramatic sigh.

There are some reasonable concerns that are being flooded by hyperbole here. (On both sides) I agree we shouldn't pass final judgement until it is finished and we check it out in person, but when Disney releases a video and many of the immediate reactions are "that seems a lot smaller than in the movie", there is a discussion that can be had.

Disney can use this feedback for a useful purpose, too. It doesn't have to be taken so personal. "Hey, feedback from the video we posted is that there is a concern for the size of the ballroom. Let's make this alteration to the plans to address that issue."

My questions is, if they are attempting to use forced perspective to push the scale of the ballroom from your vantage point in the restaurant, why on earth are the very first images released to the public from angles that totally break the illusion? My guess is it is to show off the chandelier. Still, you'd think they'd be more careful about that.

I for one am excited to see the end result, and that's why I care about something like this. All the details, including the chandelier and the murals/paintings are all looking awesome. The scale seems to be the only thing of concern at this point.

Not one ounce of "public response" to this media teaser is going to change a single thing they do with the BatB pavilion. If we all write them and say "The dining room is too small," they're not going to tear out walls, rip off the roof, and make it bigger.

It is what it is. Disney doesn't have a gigantic dining room anywhere, except perhaps Ohana (which is pretty gigantic).

This is a behind-the-scenes video. It's not to show what it will look like when finished. It's to generate hype AND appeal to those of us who enjoy seeing things as they're being built. My mom didn't see this video, nor does she even know there's a "media event" taking place at WDW right now - and she's just about as "average person" as it gets.

Only us fans are scrutinizing this stuff and some of them (not "us" because I don't want to be associated with the Debbie Downers) are flailing theirs arms and throwing rotten tomatoes at WDI for something they just don't understand.

Again, as others have said, the ballroom in the movie has no dimensions. It's a giant animated room that grows and shrinks to fit the perspective of the viewer/camera. This is a restaurant in a theme park that is designed to seat X-number of guests at a time. There is absolutely no rule that says it has to be so many feet wide by so many feet long by so many feet tall. To proclaim that "we've been deceived" or that Disney "lied to us about the size of the facility" is about as ludicrous as it gets. Period.

The Duck

Not one ounce of "public response" to this media teaser is going to change a single thing they do with the BatB pavilion. If we all write them and say "The dining room is too small," they're not going to tear out walls, rip off the roof, and make it bigger.

It is what it is. Disney doesn't have a gigantic dining room anywhere, except perhaps Ohana (which is pretty gigantic).

This is a behind-the-scenes video. It's not to show what it will look like when finished. It's to generate hype AND appeal to those of us who enjoy seeing things as they're being built. My mom didn't see this video, nor does she even know there's a "media event" taking place at WDW right now - and she's just about as "average person" as it gets.

Only us fans are scrutinizing this stuff and some of them (not "us" because I don't want to be associated with the Debbie Downers) are flailing theirs arms and throwing rotten tomatoes at WDI for something they just don't understand.

Again, as others have said, the ballroom in the movie has no dimensions. It's a giant animated room that grows and shrinks to fit the perspective of the viewer/camera. This is a restaurant in a theme park that is designed to seat X-number of guests at a time. There is absolutely no rule that says it has to be so many feet wide by so many feet long by so many feet tall. To proclaim that "we've been deceived" or that Disney "lied to us about the size of the facility" is about as ludicrous as it gets. Period.

Agreed completely on both of your posts. I'm waiting (patiently) to see the finished product and even then I'm going to be more critical on the quality of the food than I am about whether the ceiling is true to the film. Some people here may be shocked to learn that the Crystal Palace's windows are made of regular glass instead of genuine crystal and Cinderella doesn't really live in Cinderella Castle. Come on folks! It's just a restaurant. An unfinished restaurant, at that.

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Well I for one look forward to seeing it when it is completed and to eat in such a unique setting at some point next year, and by the sound of it it should be easy to get dining reservations as the whole place is just so awful to so many of you, so thanks, thats appreciated, I'll enjoy it.

LongtimeReader

Allowing for some artistic license doesn't always equal selling out. Sleeping Beauty castle, (in either incarnation) and Cinderella Castle look basically nothing like the film depictions. They're loved and adored nonetheless. If it was a replica of the movie it would somehow be criticized fot lack of imagination or functionality. Visit when it's done, and see how you feel when it's in front of your own two eyes.

Pioneer Hall

Well, many other franchises have fictional animal species as well. Would say a Star Wars Land in Animal Kingdom work considering that there are fictional animal species in Star Wars?

Kali River Rapids has nothing to do with Animals, it is completely about conservation and preventing logging. The park has more than just an animal theme and one of those is conservation.

Map7711

wouldn't something

that big-like the ballroom in the movie-dwarf everything around it? Maybe thats why they had to scale it down?

maxairmike

that big-like the ballroom in the movie-dwarf everything around it? Maybe thats why they had to scale it down?

Exactly. If you want to go by the size of the ballroom presented in the movie, you'd be looking at a space that would probably be closer to one of the convention ballrooms at Coronado length and width, and possibly a higher ceiling. That's not even taking into account kitchen space, assorted cast areas, and the other themed portions of Be Our Guest. To expect something that massive...crazy. That's what forced perspective is for.

pppapazo

Exactly. If you want to go by the size of the ballroom presented in the movie, you'd be looking at a space that would probably be closer to one of the convention ballrooms at Coronado length and width, and possibly a higher ceiling. That's not even taking into account kitchen space, assorted cast areas, and the other themed portions of Be Our Guest. To expect something that massive...crazy. That's what forced perspective is for.

On top of which, the ballroom in the movie didn't have seating throughout. But I can envision some people here being disappointed that the room isn't big enough to eat and dance in.

ChristianG

All I've got to say is that sure, it's not exactly what the movie version looked like, but I still think that once all of the final touches (which they've barely even started yet) are added in and with the proper lighting installed, this place will look really nice.

andre85

So does anyone know how we actually enter the ballroom? How are they going to make it seem we're entering the castle without us, you know, actually entering the castle?

magicallactose

I never expected the restaurant to be as large as the one in the movie (Since it is enormous and probably not feasible in that space). I can understand that.

But I think what is throwing a lot of people off and causing a lot of disappointment is the fact that they cheaped out and did not create a domed ceiling. That is one of the most prominent features of that room in the film. The concept art also clearly shows a domed ceiling. I love Disney, but I am very disappointed at this type of cost-cutting at the expense of final quality.

They had a chance to make an architecturally interesting and unique space, and they squandered it. Take for example some of the interior rooms in Wizarding World of Harry Potter (yes, I know it is non-Disney. But that is a good example of taking something that was created for the screen and making it immersive in reality). There, you can see interesting vaulted ceilings and architectural elements that really sell the reality of it.

I was expecting Disney to create a stunning, space. But alas, what can we do. I'm sure they will still be making a lot of dough from this restaurant.

maxairmike

I never expected the restaurant to be as large as the one in the movie (Since it is enormous and probably not feasible in that space). I can understand that.

But I think what is throwing a lot of people off and causing a lot of disappointment is the fact that they cheaped out and did not create a domed ceiling. That is one of the most prominent features of that room in the film. The concept art also clearly shows a domed ceiling. I love Disney, but I am very disappointed at this type of cost-cutting at the expense of final quality.

They had a chance to make an architecturally interesting and unique space, and they squandered it. Take for example some of the interior rooms in Wizarding World of Harry Potter (yes, I know it is non-Disney. But that is a good example of taking something that was created for the screen and making it immersive in reality). There, you can see interesting vaulted ceilings and architectural elements that really sell the reality of it.

I was expecting Disney to create a stunning, space. But alas, what can we do. I'm sure they will still be making a lot of dough from this restaurant.

I would be willing to bet that the lack of a dome has less to do with "cheaping out" on the place than some other design decisions (sight lines for a higher roof, acoustical issues, etc.).

Animaniac93-98

We've seen a few "inside" looks at the ballroom, but what I'm really interested in seeing is how the West Wing will look. Hopefully we'll be filled in on that soon.

JLW11Hi

The size of the ballroom in the film suggests something pretty large. Those are the dimensions the final room should be trying to replicate. The same illusion as in the movie.

And they by no means have to tear out the roof to make the room seem larger. It can be as simple as pushing the illusion by using some sort of forced perspective. They probably already have these things planned out and you won't be able to see it until you are in the room.

It sure is hard to have a down to earth discussion on these boards sometimes. It's either "OH MY GOD, DISNEY TOTALLY RUINED THIS THING" or "OH MY GOD, ALL YOU PEOPLE EVER DO IS COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING!"

Can we meet in the middle pleeeease??? I love talking about this stuff!

DznyRktekt

This is going to be a great addition to the MK. It should deter a few more people from leaving the park at dinner time to hit Ohana or the World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom