'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

Ariel484

W&D would be my choice. I like the night races and I love the medal for this race. I like also really being in Disney that time of year; the weather is usually good and I love being at Disney for Food & Wine Festival.
The other thing is that the W&D and the Princess do not seem to have as many participants as the WDW 1/2 in January. I believe their were 27,000 runners-that's way too crowded for me.
Actually I think the Princess numbers are closer to the WDW Half now. :( Will be curious to see how many people run the W&D this year.

DisneyRunner

With the official statement from runDisney regarding next year's marathon weekend, maybe I would be interested in the 10k and half. Then do a coast 2 coast medal for the Dumbo Double Dare. The 10k medal would be Minnie Mouse. I like Minnie.:) I guess I have to decide quickly, April 9 is not to far off.

dreamfinder

Didn't it sell out almost immediately last year? Maybe word got out that the race has issues?

Based on posts from the start of this thread, Feb 14th was when registration opened last year, and it sold out on April 20th. So just about 2 months, 55 days to be exact to sell out.

I think that this year reg opened on Feb 12th. Last year, on April 3rd, 78% full. This year on April 3rd, 67% full. So it is going a bit slower than last year. Which isn't terribly surprising. Inaugural events, and those for anniversaries always seem to book up faster. Throw in the cost increase, the nasty heat they had last year, and I believe it. There is a chance that reg speeds up, especially now that people have seen the plans/costs for Marathon weekend and can better plan the rest of the year, but I think we will see this staying open til mid May, early June this year.

Lexxweb

Can someone quote my post and let me know if you can walk the second half of this marathon? I can run about 5 miles, but I'm not sure if I'll be up to par come October to run a whole 10 miles. The course just seems too interesting not to experience!

Ariel484

Can someone quote my post and let me know if you can walk the second half of this marathon? I can run about 5 miles, but I'm not sure if I'll be up to par come October to run a whole 10 miles. The course just seems too interesting not to experience!
You can run/walk the whole thing if you want as long as you keep a 16:00/mile pace.

BUT...it's only April. Find a training plan, commit to following it, and I bet you'll surprise yourself come race day...er...night. If you can run 5 miles now you can definitely run 10 in a few months, as long as you train.

You say you really want to "experience" the course, so make it your goal to be well-enough prepared that you can fully soak in everything and not spend the entire 10 miles worrying about whether you'll be swept (because they DO sweep)/finish/make it out alive.

Jeff Galloway is the official runDisney training consultant, and as race day gets closer he'll post training plans. Here's last year's beginner training plan: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/Galloway/TOT12beg.pdf
This one might be more your speed since you have some experience running: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/Galloway/TOT12fin.pdf

In the meantime, find a local 10K race to run so that you can submit a time to runDisney for corral placement.

Good luck! :)

Lexxweb

You can run/walk the whole thing if you want as long as you keep a 16:00/mile pace.

BUT...it's only April. Find a training plan, commit to following it, and I bet you'll surprise yourself come race day...er...night. If you can run 5 miles now you can definitely run 10 in a few months, as long as you train.

You say you really want to "experience" the course, so make it your goal to be well-enough prepared that you can fully soak in everything and not spend the entire 10 miles worrying about whether you'll be swept (because they DO sweep)/finish/make it out alive.

Jeff Galloway is the official runDisney training consultant, and as race day gets closer he'll post training plans. Here's last year's beginner training plan: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/Galloway/TOT12beg.pdf
This one might be more your speed since you have some experience running: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/Galloway/TOT12fin.pdf

In the meantime, find a local 10K race to run so that you can submit a time to runDisney for corral placement.

Thank you so much! I've heard horror stories of people getting swept up in a Disney bus because they didn't stay within their pace bracket. I'd be so embarrassed. I'm lazy, so I'll probably run 5 and fast-walk the second 5. The second half of the race is all I'm really interested in, running through nothing to get to DHS sounds like the boring part.
Thanks again! :D

Kristia

Thank you so much! I've heard horror stories of people getting swept up in a Disney bus because they didn't stay within their pace bracket. I'd be so embarrassed. I'm lazy, so I'll probably run 5 and fast-walk the second 5. The second half of the race is all I'm really interested in, running through nothing to get to DHS sounds like the boring part.
Thanks again! :D
The 16:00 min/mile pace clock doesn't start until the last person crosses the start line. That last person has to keep a 16 min mile or be swept. That means people who cross the start line before that last person have a little extra wiggle room in that pace. I totally agree with Shannon. If you train, you can easily be ready for 10 miles by Oct.

Mad Stitch

I think that would be too much stress for me! :D

Na, it's motivation. During the marathon as I was making the turn off of Osceola, onto World Drive on my way to the Studios when I saw the sweepers making their way towards the WWoS. They were still a good 5 miles behind me but just the sight of them made me and everyone else around me pick up the pace.

Texas84

Na, it's motivation. During the marathon as I was making the turn off of Osceola, onto World Drive on my way to the Studios when I saw the sweepers making their way towards the WWoS. They were still a good 5 miles behind me but just the sight of them made me and everyone else around me pick up the pace.

Ha. We were right behind you. Freaked us out a bit.

DisneyRunner

It was scary for me to see the tail end of the race on Osceola, as I was making my way back to DHS. I knew I was a few miles ahead of those people, but I couldn't stop thinking their not too far behind me.

I thought this year Disney added more spots to this race maybe that's why it taking so long to fill up. I am almost done with my couch to 5 k training. My pace is 11/min. Hopefully I will be able to run a 5k when I am done.

Kristia

Ha. We were right behind you. Freaked us out a bit.
I guess we were behind you guys. We came out of WWoS and made the turn off Victory Way, there was no one left coming the opposite way. It was very disconcerting! I didn't see the sweepers, but they couldn't have been too far behind us. :eek:

6laurac

Sorry to crash the thread but this is just great!! I printed it off and would love to know if there is one of these for a 1/2? To bad there's not a training plan esp. for Mom's with small kids. I can run a 5k easy but can't find the time to train for more than about 4-5 miles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom