'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

Ariel484

Sorry to crash the thread but this is just great!! I printed it off and would love to know if there is one of these for a 1/2? To bad there's not a training plan esp. for Mom's with small kids. I can run a 5k easy but can't find the time to train for more than about 4-5 miles.
Yep, check out the training section of runDisney.com! The half plans will have you running 30 minutes twice per week with a longer run on the weekends. :)

a2grafix

Another week and another percentage. The Tower 10 miler is now at 72 percent capacity. As well, the Wine and Dine registration has caught up and is at 71 percent.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Helps a lot! Thanks. Now, can I get you to plan the fall football schedule for my school by then?? :)

We took the plunge - DW (whose knees still work right) is doing the 10-miler, DD and I will do the 5K (followed by 5 hours of ice). We are very excited! Thanks to everyone on here for the insight which helped our planning. This is DWs first race, and my first in 20+ years.

a2grafix

Another week and another percentage. As of May 7, runDisney says the Tower 10 miler is now at 78 percent capacity, but for the first time, the Wine and Dine registration has surpassed and is at 80 percent.

runningforit

Another week and another percentage. As of May 7, runDisney says the Tower 10 miler is now at 78 percent capacity, but for the first time, the Wine and Dine registration has surpassed and is at 80 percent.

Pretty slow going! I enjoyed the race last year...but it needed improvement.

So, I was surprised to see the 50% rate increase this year... I am hopeful that it will be such a slow selling event for them that they will think twice before such a huge rate increase in the future. Wishful-thinking....I know.

a2grafix

Pretty slow going! I enjoyed the race last year...but it needed improvement.

So, I was surprised to see the 50% rate increase this year... I am hopeful that it will be such a slow selling event for them that they will think twice before such a huge rate increase in the future. Wishful-thinking....I know.

That seems to be the talk around this forum - the increasing prices of runDisney events. I was hit with sticker shock of entering the Disneyland Half this year - $175 plus tax. Thought the Wine and Dine Half would be lower, but nope. Equally expensive - $175 plus tax. I also purchased two special pins, so both prices came to be $201.xx and some change.

I told myself that this is the year to run the coast to coast with Disney. I'm not entering in the Tower 10 miler. I already did that in 2012. If the rates decrease in the next few years and Disney adds something or rearranges the Tower 10 miler course, I will consider running it again. Last year was fun and it told myself after running 10 miles - what is 3.1 more miles? So, in January I ran my first half marathon.

JustJude

The cost is what's holding us back but with only a week till the next price increase will we bottle it and jump in??? We did wine and dine last year. Seeing the negative feedback on ToT worries me my expectations are too high

Ariel484

The cost is what's holding us back but with only a week till the next price increase will we bottle it and jump in??? We did wine and dine last year. Seeing the negative feedback on ToT worries me my expectations are too high
The W&D got bad reviews its first year too, and from what I hear it has improved since then. I have also heard that people that ran the inaugural 10-miler got a survey to fill out afterward, so I am sure runDisney is aware of the issues. Recently it seems like runDisney IS listening to runner complaints...see: their promise to lower capacity for the insanely-crowded WDW half marathon and their decision to get stricter with corral placement.

I also remember hearing that the humidity was killer during the first ToT weekend, and well...there's not much runDisney can do about that. But I'd be shocked if things don't improve this year overall.

Last edited:

Texas84

These were the only bad points for me:
1) Osceola Blvd (boring)
2) Humidity (can't be helped)
3) Changing tents (nightmare)

But overall, I had a blast! Wish I could do it again. WWoS was fun, the after party was fun, and the people are always great.

a2grafix

I have still yet to see these at a race. Looking forward to seeing them in Oct.

Unless something changes, no you are not. ;)

Take our advice, best to find a men's bathroom to do a quick change in. Those changing tents were super humid and hot, combined with everyone's body heat and the mid-80s, upper 70s and 80-90 percent humidity outside. I was soaked and salty and I needed cooler air. The change tents did not provide.

dreamfinder

Unless something changes, no you are not. ;)

Take our advice, best to find a men's bathroom to do a quick change in. Those changing tents were super humid and hot, combined with everyone's body heat and the mid-80s, upper 70s and 80-90 percent humidity outside. I was soaked and salty and I needed cooler air. The change tents did not provide.

Never said I was going to use them, just wanted to see what all the horror stories were about. More often than not, I change in the open air. Makes all the ladies weak in the knees. = p Bringing a kilt for post run makes it wicked super easy. Strongly recommend looking into one for post race chilling. Just means I can't run it in unless I pack a spare. But if its going to be that nasty again, not worth running in one. Decisions, decisions.

Lulu76

Hi everyone. I am signed up for the ToT 10 miler in October, and I decided to sign up here to find other folks who can give me advice, encouragement and talk me off the proverbial ledge. This will be my first Run Disney event. I am doing ok with increasing distances, but I'm still slower than I'd like to be. After reading all the comments online about the mugginess last year and the unexpected elevations on the overpasses, I've decided that I'm going to train outside in the evening here (Tennessee) so there should be less surprises on race day. Still terrified of sweeper buses and balloon ladies, but I have a suspicion that I will be until I finish the race (however I finish it), so I will use that fear as motivation to get off the couch everyday.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi everyone. I am signed up for the ToT 10 miler in October, and I decided to sign up here to find other folks who can give me advice, encouragement and talk me off the proverbial ledge. This will be my first Run Disney event. I am doing ok with increasing distances, but I'm still slower than I'd like to be. After reading all the comments online about the mugginess last year and the unexpected elevations on the overpasses, I've decided that I'm going to train outside in the evening here (Tennessee) so there should be less surprises on race day. Still terrified of sweeper buses and balloon ladies, but I have a suspicion that I will be until I finish the race (however I finish it), so I will use that fear as motivation to get off the couch everyday.
Congrats for signing up for your first event! What pace and distance are you currently at?

I also see this is your first post - Welcome to WDWMAGIC! :)

fmingo36

Welcome to the site and the running board!
I ran this race last year and it was a good race. Disney knows how to make it fun. Here is a link to my race report.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tower-of-terror-10-mile-race-i-suggest-you-take-the-stairs.852281/
As you can see I take pictures of just about everything.
It definitely was more humid than I would have liked but I made the best of it.

And whatever it takes to motivate you to get that run in... go with it!
I run so I can participate in Disney races. I live for the rare characters opportunities and that's my motivation!

Good Luck with your training!:D

Lulu76

Congrats for signing up for your first event! What pace and distance are you currently at?

I also see this is your first post - Welcome to WDWMAGIC! :)

I can walk with no running at about 18-minutes/mile. I am slowly but surely introducing running in, but I am not Flo Jo or anything like that, so the running isn't really shaving much time off, but we still have nine weeks to go. I did a half-marathon several years ago and totally slacked on my training, never walked more than 6 miles in training and still did the first ten miles in about 2.5 hours (the adrenaline gets you going on race day, and that was Detroit where you have to finish the first 8 miles in two hours because they close the international border), but I was younger and thinner then. I figure with nine weeks I might be OK, plus everyone seems to agree if you get far enough up in your corral that gives you wiggle room with the sweepers. I know someone who finished the half and barely beat the sweepers with an official time of 4:23, which leads me to believe that 16-minute miles isn't as scary as it seems. I think I would be less frightened if I weren't hearing rumors that they don't give medals to folks who get swept anymore. Not that I want to take credit for something I didn't do, but that medal is cool enough to justify the $130 I shelled out for the race.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom