'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

Mr mom

Hi everyone. I am signed up for the ToT 10 miler in October, and I decided to sign up here to find other folks who can give me advice, encouragement and talk me off the proverbial ledge. This will be my first Run Disney event. I am doing ok with increasing distances, but I'm still slower than I'd like to be. After reading all the comments online about the mugginess last year and the unexpected elevations on the overpasses, I've decided that I'm going to train outside in the evening here (Tennessee) so there should be less surprises on race day. Still terrified of sweeper buses and balloon ladies, but I have a suspicion that I will be until I finish the race (however I finish it), so I will use that fear as motivation to get off the couch everyday.

welcome welcome

Ariel484

Just had to post this, I finally get the good feel, that all you long time runners talk about, while doing my 6.5 mile training run this weekend, I finally broke through on mile 5 and just enjoyed the run! It was amazing while yes my shins still hurt it was like a whole new world!
Awesome! Glad you had a great run :)

Ariel484

Question for the folks that ran this last year (and something I'll be curious to hear from those of you doing it this year): what did you eat AFTER the race? I'm curious to know what food places are open during the Villians Bash. :) I'm thinking about doing this race next year and the runDisney snackboxes are not going to be enough for me post-run.

Texas84

Question for the folks that ran this last year (and something I'll be curious to hear from those of you doing it this year): what did you eat AFTER the race? I'm curious to know what food places are open during the Villians Bash. :) I'm thinking about doing this race next year and the runDisney snackboxes are not going to be enough for me post-run.

All I remember is Backlot Express, most of the kiosks/stands, and the Sunset Blvd quick service area. I didn't feel like a big meal after that heat and humidity last year. Got me the biggest fountain Coke I could find and a vanilla soft serve to cool down then we went to Sunset later to snack on healthy stuff.

Ariel484

All I remember is Backlot Express, most of the kiosks/stands, and the Sunset Blvd quick service area. I didn't feel like a big meal after that heat and humidity last year. Got me the biggest fountain Coke I could find and a vanilla soft serve to cool down then we went to Sunset later to snack on healthy stuff.
Thanks! Just glad to know there are some food areas open and I don't have to pack something. :) I could totally go for a giant Coke right now...

a2grafix

Yeah, I echo Texas. All I remember after the "humidity fun run" at night was that I was soaked, sticky and needed fluids. The post snack boxes were nice, but didn't eat everything in them that night. Didn't have a big meal but know that I drank water, had some fruit from the fruit stand on Sunset Boulevard, and ate a huge ice cream cone at 3am during the villains bash.

The following morning woke up late at Shades of Green and ate a late brunch at the Garden Galley. Hit the spot. As for my legs and feet, that's another story. I was walking like my old man with several band-aids on my feet.

a2grafix

Tower 10 miler runners, your finishers medal and lanyard. Medal looks the same as 2012, but lanyard has Stitch in bellhop Hollywood Tower costume. Medal glows in the dark, too.

2013-08-30_12-33-43_107.jpg

DanStat

I am running the TOT 10-miler, but I think I've made a mistake...

In January for the half, we stayed at Pop Century. I just assumed that because we had race transportation there, we'd have transportation anywhere. For October, I booked at Coronado Springs with a free dining PIN. However, it appears that CSR isn't a "host resort" and does not have transportation to/from the expo/race. Anyone else been in this predicament before? Are taxis available?

fmingo36

In January for the half, we stayed at Pop Century. I just assumed that because we had race transportation there, we'd have transportation anywhere. For October, I booked at Coronado Springs with a free dining PIN. However, it appears that CSR isn't a "host resort" and does not have transportation to/from the expo/race. Anyone else been in this predicament before? Are taxis available?

You can always take a Disney bus to DTD and then to a host resort to get to the race but you'll have issues with getting back to the resort after the race since the buses stop to non-host resorts before the after-party ends. Taxis are available and probably your best bet for race transportation.

dreamfinder

As fmingo36 said, you options to/from a non host resort are somewhat limited. Getting to/from the Expo, I believe the normal DHS->WWoS bus will still be running, otherwise you would need to get to one of the host resorts. Easiest from DHS/Epcot, just go the BC/YC (most likely going to be at their conference center), MK go to the Poly or WL. But from any park/DTD you could go to any of the host resorts.

To the start isn't terrible, either just hang out at DHS for a few hours once the park closes at 6PM, hang out at Epcot and then walk over (scheduled to close at 10PM) or once again, transfer to one of the host resorts. Getting home, your best bet will really be a taxi. I'd keep the numbers handy in your speed dial in case there aren't any hanging around.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
You can always take a Disney bus to DTD and then to a host resort to get to the race but you'll have issues with getting back to the resort after the race since the buses stop to non-host resorts before the after-party ends. Taxis are available and probably your best bet for race transportation.
We did this once when we race the Everest Challenge. We had to go to CBR to go to the expo, and then back to CBR, to a park, and then our resort. After the race, we went to All Star Sports, then took a bus to downtown Disney.

We got lucky, and the driver figured since we were in race clothes with medals around our necks that it wasn't our final destination. When nobody was about to load at DD, he asked us where we were going and drove us there.

Joshua&CalebDad

Just had to post this, I finally get the good feel, that all you long time runners talk about, while doing my 6.5 mile training run this weekend, I finally broke through on mile 5 and just enjoyed the run! It was amazing while yes my shins still hurt it was like a whole new world!

I know the feeling. My longest run to date was 7 miles, last Saturday, and it didn't go well. On top of that, I didn't run at all this past week due two back to back bee stings on the same leg that caused my right leg to swell pretty severely. Had to go on a regimen of steroids to get back to normal.

A father and son team, from my Church, who are running the 10 miler with me invited me to do a 9 mile run with them tonight. I was terrified after being off a week and my last run going so badly, but it went great. It was a slower pace but I felt great the whole way through. 10 Miler finish line here I come.

yelena's aunt

Anybody else annoyed that we are 24 days out and still no waivers/final race instructions, etc. which will be posted approximately one month prior to race?

a2grafix

Last edited:

dreamfinder

I do like the staggered wave start times. Was this something they did at the DLR 1/2 as well? 2 mins apart, then 3, then 4 as it goes through the 10 waves.

And just to clarify, the waiver that @a2grafix posted is the packet pickup authorization form, the waivers are still AWOL.

PaulaT

Anyone know what the medallions for the 5k look like or the shirts? We have never done a family 5k before and we are super excited or our kids to join us. My hubby and I did the Everest 5k in May and had a great time and my oldest daughter and I are signed up for the Princess 10k in Feb. So excited to do the happy haunted 5k with my whole family

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom