'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

MKCP 1985

Hopefully this race will be supported by the running community. Making the distance a 10 mile run versus a 13 kilometer run might help.

Previously, the personalized race bibs glowed in the dark, which was a nice effect and the finisher medals featured the Hollywood Tower Hotel, with a springing elevator door. Very nice!

tot_medal.jpg

The image is via allears.net, Laura Gilbreath's blog :wave: Actually, her race report is very detailed and informative:
http://land.allears.net/blogs/lauragilbreath/running_with_mickey/tower_of_terror_13k/

dreamfinder

I'm kinda torn. Having a 13k event was pretty cool. I don't know if they will really get that many more people for shifting it to a 10m. If they had problems filling it as a 13k, do they really think that many more people will show up for a 10m? Would have made more sense to me to keep the W&D the same weekend, and then have the ToT race on the other weekend. Moving an established event can be tricky.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm not happy about this. I already had booked a trip for that weekend, as they advertised the W&D 1/2 marathon for that same date.

I'll probably end up running it due to lack of options, but why move W&D, just as it had really gained in popularity, and had the logistics figured out?

Mad Stitch

Would have made more sense to me to keep the W&D the same weekend, and then have the ToT race on the other weekend. Moving an established event can be tricky.

There are people on the Facebook page upset because they have already booked flights and reservations in anticipation of the Wine & Dine race being on its typical weekend. Now they are stuck with this race which they don’t want. They should have left the Wine & Dine race alone, get rid of that Halloween 5K and hold this in its place.

Edit: Fievel beat me as he is a perfect example.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I like the sound of this one. I think 10 miles is a good move for bridging the gap between the 5k and half. So what do you think it will cost?

MKCP 1985

I like the sound of this one. I think 10 miles is a good move for bridging the gap between the 5k and half. So what do you think it will cost?

It *ought* to cost the same as Everest. Everest has the obstacle course and clues books which makes it longer and more expensive to put on than a typical 5K, and this new race is longer but doesn't have the other bells and whistles.

That's just my un-educated opinion. :lol:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
It *ought* to cost the same as Everest. Everest has the obstacle course and clues books which makes it longer and more expensive to put on than a typical 5K, and this new race is longer but doesn't have the other bells and whistles.

That's just my un-educated opinion. :lol:

It won't. I think we all know that.

dreamfinder

There are people on the Facebook page upset because they have already booked flights and reservations in anticipation of the Wine & Dine race being on its typical weekend. Now they are stuck with this race which they don’t want. They should have left the Wine & Dine race alone, get rid of that Halloween 5K and hold this in its place.

Edit: Fievel beat me as he is a perfect example.

Ayup. I forgot that they had already announced the date. Really not cool.

I'm guessing it will be between $100 and $125. 3.1 shorter than a half doesn't save that much on infrastructure. Maybe dropping 1 water and aid station, and a few entertainers. Since they are still planning on having the post party in park I can't see it going down as that is where the costs really are.

Texas84

Don't care what it costs. I'm there! :sohappy:

But changing dates was a bad move. WDW needs to make some accommodations for that.

surfsupdon

I know that I will be there!!

My first "Endurance Race" was the Tower13K, and I ran the following two years after as well.

So I am really looking forward to going back to where I started with running at Disney.

Glad to have the race back.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The cost wouldnt matter to me if I was paying so much to travel down there. What is another $20 or $30, but I would like to know out of curiosity.

Love the medal. LOVE IT!! Must have.

JillC LI

I liked that it was the TOT13K when I ran this just for the symbolism of 13 being a "scary" number, but there's not much difference between 13K and 10 miles - both are a nice middle ground between 5K and Half. I love this medal though - definitely a keeper!

Btw, speaking of medals, I just got this amazing metal medal hanger that says "I did it!" and shows a runner. I hung it in my bedroom and put all my medals on it. Here's an example of another one they sell:
http://www.amazon.com/RACE-BLING-MedalART-Medal-Hanger/dp/B005OY3YJ6/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

Ariel484

I like the sound of this one. I think 10 miles is a good move for bridging the gap between the 5k and half...

I agree...I really like the 10-mile distance, although I also liked how unique the 13k distance was. I need to start trying to convince my husband (a non-runner) to do this with me. ToT is our favorite ride, so here's hoping!

And I agree that it's weird that they moved the W&D to accommodate this race...surely they had this in the works for awhile, so why would they announce the 2012 W&D dates only to change them? :shrug:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We're going to run this, as we are already booked for that time, and we might as well run something as long as we are there. Plus, then we can still claim to have all the current RunDisney medal in our collection (Except the full marathon).

PartOfYourWorld

Definitely going to register for this. Can't pass up running in my favorite park :) Starting to train January so I know I'm all set for September!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom