The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 8 Redemption Duel
Take Two for the Tree

Welcome to a special 48 hour Redemption Duel!

trelee837011.jpg

Introducing the players of this Redemption Duel:
@IAmNotAHufflepuff

and @spacemt354 voted out at the last Imagineer's Council.

For this challenge, our two competitors will be tasked with designing a new experience inside the Tree of Life! It can be a new show, a restaurant or anything you desire! There's no need to go into extraordinary detail, but I want to see what you both come up with!

Episode 8 Redemption Duel is due Monday, March 7th at 8:00 PM EST! You may use no more than 15 images and must have at least 5 sentences.

Imagineers Ready? GO!

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Take Two for the Tree

Welcome to a special 48 hour Redemption Duel!

View attachment 133292

Introducing the players of this Redemption Duel:
@IAmNotAHufflepuff

and @spacemt354 voted out at the last Imagineer's Council.

For this challenge, our two competitors will be tasked with designing a new experience inside the Tree of Life! It can be a new show, a restaurant or anything you desire! There's no need to go into extraordinary detail, but I want to see what you both come up with!

Episode 8 Redemption Duel is due Monday, March 7th at 8:00 PM EST! You may use no more than 15 images and must have at least 5 sentences.

Imagineers Ready? GO!

Quick question..

When determining the results, which factor will be more important, realism or creativity? I got this crazy idea brewing in my head, but it would require a lot of digging. ;)

RMichael21

Original Poster
Quick question..

When determining the results, which factor will be more important, realism or creativity? I got this crazy idea brewing in my head, but it would require a lot of digging. ;)
I'd honestly like to see some creativity with this one. Obviously, don't go and demolish the tree and do something else, but everything else is fair game. ;):p
Also if there's no need to go into extraordinary detail...does that mean detail is frowned upon in a review?

Usually the RI duels are 24 hours so to me this seems a little counter-intuitive if we are given extra time but don't need detail.
Well, if you want to add detail you can, but I figured that Redemption Duels are never really that detail filled. I know you're always used to using detail space, so I wanted to let you know. However, if you really want to, I look forward to reading what you submit. But, I know it's your spring break, so I really don't want you to stress over this. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
I'd honestly like to see some creativity with this one. Obviously, don't go and demolish the tree and do something else, but everything else is fair game. ;):p

Well, if you want to add detail you can, but I figured that Redemption Duels are never really that detail filled. I know you're always used to using detail space, so I wanted to let you know. However, if you really want to, I look forward to reading what you submit. But, I know it's your spring break, so I really don't want you to stress over this. :)
Well there has never been a redemption duel technically:p

But yeah that's fine...if a good idea comes to me...detail away:bookworm:...however at this point I am struggling to even come up with an idea:grumpy: So let me get that down first:eek:

IAmNotAHufflepuff

@IAmNotAHufflepuff's Submission:

treeoflifewallpaper-010.jpg

Guests were surprised when Disney announced the closure of It’s Tough to Be A Bug on November 14th, 2016. However, the reported replacement would prove to be even more spectacular.

Massive amounts of digging were done around the Tree of Life. After being barricaded for almost 3 years, a new,thrilling attraction opened its gates to the world.

Without further ado, here is…

Root Caverns

QUEUE:

The queue almost remains the same as the previous incarnation.

Its-Tough-to-be-a-Bug_Full_22293.jpg

Guests weave around the tranquil oasis around the Tree of Life. Minus the long-gone bug posters, nothing has really seemed to change. The real differences begin when we enter the former show building.

PRESHOW:

Guests enter what was formerly part of the standby area of It’s Tough to Be a Bug. It seems we are inside one of the massive roots of the tree. Cave drawings of nature are present around the root interior. A large branch rests above.

Suddenly, a high quality projection of Rafiki walks on to the branch. Being the primal environmentalist he is, Rafiki tells guests he will use his mystical powers to shrink them to smaller than bug size so they “can have a better appreciation of nature” by exploring the caves underneath the roots.

With a touch of his stick, in a tremendous act of special effects, the room appears to grow to a larger size right in front of you! The preshow ends and we enter the loading area.

TECH DETAILS:

Now, most of you are probably asking: Is there enough space for this grand E-ticket to replace a theater show?

The answer is no. But, Imagineers have found a way around this… Creating the world’s first entirely underground coaster! After all, what’s better than having a coaster themed around underground animals actually takes place underground? By use of heavy quality layering and natural cloaking, the construction and re-beatification of the area was possible.

The ride technology itself isn’t too advanced. If anything, the ride is sort of like Space Mountain, a dark wild mouse coaster, only a little more intense.

The height requirement for this attraction is 48 inches.

VECHICLES:

The vehicles look like well-rusted mine carts, only moving by Rafiki’s magic. Each mine cart can seat 12 people, four rows of three. The mine carts are designed to handle the zippy turns and drops the ride contains.

1_2d_mc-unwrapped-3d.png

RIDE EXPERIENCE:

After boarding the mine carts, the vehicles immediately take a 15 foot drop into the tunnels. What follows is a dark segment with twisty turns and short drops, setting the stage for what is to come.

Inching towards a tunnel opening, a large insect moves into the tunnel, snapping its mandibles at us. Its appearance is non-threatening but it still intimidates us. The carts zip down another drop into another room.

20100112_6130.jpg

This just happens to be the home of a giant mole. We can see the large animatronic face of the mole poke through the tunnel wall, scavenging for food.

mole-resting-in-mud.jpg

Our carts bank down another drop, deeper into the abyss. In the next scene, a massive chipmunk and her babies are seen, the mother nurturing her babies in this deep underground environment.

The mine carts move into the beginning of the climax, into an opening of a large ant hill. We see dozens of large, projected ants moving around, finding food and going about their business.

The carts speed up and rush up a 30 foot hill. We finally see the large animatronic queen ant, the biggest figure in the ride. Instead of being an intimidating monster like some people portray her to be, she just goes through her life, sitting at her nest controlling the ant mound.

neoniger10.jpg

Suddenly, the voice of Rafiki cries out that the mound is collapsing and we should escape.

Thus begins the most thrilling part of the attraction. We turn, drop, and rise attempting to escape the collapsing ant hill. None of the turns are un-banked, preventing serious nausea during this segment.

The only way to escape is a 150 foot vertical lift hill, taking us back to where our journey started. Cars inch upwards vertically as Rafiki tells us that even the smallest and most isolated creatures have a part to play in the world.

fahrenheit3.jpg

Envision this in an underground chamber

After summiting the lift hill, the cart takes a slow turn and enters the disembarking dock. You may think after this the experience is over, but you’re wrong.

CAVERN TRAILS:

From here, you can either exit through the jungles or walk through further cave systems. Here, you get to see the animals you encountered on the ride at normal size.

Moles, worms, bugs, spiders, and a large bat habitat are all present here. Although tiny, these animals never really had proper representation at Disney’s Animal Kingdom until now. The exhibit takes up the space of the former theater, while the ride resides underground.

bat-12-medium.jpg

CONCLUSION:

By use of family thrills, groundbreaking world firsts, and animal encounters, Root Caverns is a deserving replacement to It’s Tough To Be A Bug, and shows the awesome Imagineering capabilities of Disney.

We hope to see you soon at..

Animal_Kingdom2LARGE.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-7_17-5-17.jpeg
    upload_2016-3-7_17-5-17.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 66

spacemt354

Chili's
Take Two for the Tree

Since every challenge from now on may be my swan song in this competition, if I go out, I want to go out with a bang, doing something that I actually enjoy... and something I think could be a great addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom. This magnificent theme park is built on a sense of exploration and discovery....a vision of the circle of life here on earth...and a journey through time to explore all of earth's creatures leading to how humanity interacts with wildlife in the contemporary era.

But where did all this come from? And how did we begin?

In my view, one of the missing pieces to Disney's Animal Kingdom has been a slow moving historical attraction inside the park icon that ventures to discover life itself, why we exist, and why we should try and co-exist together as one. Something that combines all the thematic elements of the theme park and seeks to answer paramount questions of life, earth, and our place on this planet.

As part of the research, I wanted to try and find background music that truly fit the feel of the park and blended in seamlessly with the surrounding ambiance. So if you'd like while reading, this is the theme music I picked out...I really like this track, and drawing with the music playing was pretty cool...it felt like this was real. :happy:

Without further ado, my Redemption Island attraction for inside the Tree of Life is entitled:

"New Life"

Attraction Backstory
The Tree of Life has been a symbol for unity and harmony at Disney's Animal Kingdom for almost two decades now, and with the re-branding of the park (Rivers of Light, Pandora, and so on) WDI felt it best to remove the mixed reviewed "It's Tough to Be a Bug" from the Tree of Life and literally uproot the backstory to the tree.

The Tree of Life is now a gateway to exploration. An omnipresent being, it has the capability of traveling back through time and showing life's journey at any point. It breeds "New Life" and can open up new ideas for how we share the planet, and that sparked the inspiration for this new attraction.

Attraction Blueprint

New Life will take guests on a journey back to the dawn of life on earth and how we came to be, ending with the message of communal appreciation of humans and wildlife, and we all share this earth together

This water-based dark ride attraction will require an extensive overhaul of the ground level of the Tree of Life, structurally raising and lowering the land within the roots of the tree in order to fit an attraction inside. In addition, the oil rig interior of the tree trunk will be plastered over and a DNA Helix type support beam that sends the boats spiraling up in the climax of the attraction, will also be installed.

The ride vehicles will hold 4x4 guests for a total of 16 guests per boat. And the left side of the tree will be edited to include a larger waterfall in which the boats will sail down as they gaze out at the beautiful theme park landscape after the ascent up the tree.

Attraction Queue

The queue will be altered slightly from the It's Tough to be a Bug layout, in order to accommodate the terrain changes around the tree. However, the guests will be among the breath-taking surroundings of the Tree of Life, which with the park open later with the addition of the Rivers of Life show, will offer an incredibly unique approach to the attraction during the day and night.

You weave in and out of the wild switchbacks until you approach a small cave-like entrance to the massive Tree of Life. Inside is cold, dark, and magnificently detailed. Roots on the walls give an indication of the age of the tree, and the background music adds to the environment an anticipatory emotion to the guests as they travel further, deep within the roots.

Loading Area

The roots become more dense and you hear the rustling of water up ahead. Water, an essential ingredient for life, up ahead on the horizon as you board time-traveling boats and begin a quest through life's journey.

The ride features next gen visual effects, such as planets rising from the ground, 360 degree lighting and angles that create a visceral ride experience inside the Tree of Life.

Your adventure is narrated by Mother Nature herself, voiced by Julie Andrews

Scene 1 - Abiogenesis

Scene Description
Your boats wade into the night
As billions of stars shine around you at every sight.
Out of the darkness comes a light
Could be the start of life, and it just might.

Narrator: Our journey begins around four billion years ago after the inception of the big bang and the start of our ever expanding universe. With all the star systems in our galaxy and known universe, why Earth? Why is there life on Earth, and what could have caused such a cascade of events to lead to the modern organisms that populate the planet today? The answer may lie in Abiogenesis, the natural process of life arising from non-living matter, such as the organic compounds that radiated out from the big bang itself. This planet was blessed from the beginning. Perfect habitable zone and the start of life, but our journey wasn't over yet.​

Scene 2 - Origin of Water

Scene Description
You've seen the start and time travels on
To the origin of a substance that without, all life would be gone.

Narrator: The origin of water on Earth is not well understood, but its importance is paramount for life. The creatures of the past dwelled in this aquatic environment, and adapted to the harsher atmosphere of infant earth. The moon was closer, the stars were brighter, and the earth itself would soon grow thanks to additional cosmic elements that shaped the future of all who live on this planet.

Scene 3 - Meteorite Bombardment

Scene Description
The high carbon atmosphere of the air
Was about to send the earth a scare
With your boats swiftly approaching the sight
A meteorite shower blasts in, bold and bright

Narrator: The late heavy bombardment, also known as the lunar cataclysm, would shape the life on earth for eons to come. Extinction level events have occurred throughout time and without warning, and have altered the ecosystems of this world to the habitable environment we live in today, and also explains the shape and craters of the moon we see in the night-sky.

Scene 4 - Photosynthesis

Scene Description
The earth has evolved to emit O2
Which helps give life to myself and you
Your boats teeter along for something you don't want to miss
The evolution of Photosynthesis

Narrator: As the earth shaped its atmospheric contents, the process of living plants to adapt to photosynthetic elements became apparent. Taking light energy from the sun to synthesize sugars and carbon dioxide, these growing plants emit oxygen to the atmosphere, spawning the capability for eukaryotic life to evolve from the simple life the earth once had.

Scene 5 - Eukaryotic Organisms and the Birth of Life

Scene Description
The path to life takes a leap
And the expansion will be steep
Your boats turn the corner to the next part
To see how life is a piece of art.

Narrator: The road to multicellular life evolves with our changing world. The eukaryotic organism offers a jumping off point for all multicellular organisms that inhabit the planet today. The essential form of life, is the same in all of us, whether we are from different species, backgrounds, or anything, we must understand that we are here on this planet together, and we are meant to co-exist as one.

Scene 6 - The Cambrian Explosion and the Code for Life

Scene Description
The genetic building block
Functioning around the clock
It makes us who are are and defines our traits
Continue your tour and find out what it creates

Narrator: We've come to Cambrian Explosion, an evolutionary turning point in our planet's history as biodiversity expands the horizons and populates our world with eclectic forms of DNA. The DNA that will genetically design all of earth's creatures and give them the traits we know today.

Scene 7 - The Climax and Ascent Up the Tree of Life

Scene Description
Your boats turn vertically and begin to ascend
As projections around you swirl as you bend
Climb up the trunk to the New Age
You're just about to turn the page...

(The music swells as you see the history of species and evolution to the current day all around you in a visceral experience as you ascend up the DNA shaped helix.)

Narrator: Our planet has evolves millions of species over the billions of years in its existence, and we as humans, are one of the lucky inhabitants of this planet. We have evolved, farther than any being in history, to a level of climatic being on this planet. We must strive to preserve our planet, and build a better future for not only our species but for all of the biodiverse species on the planet.

(You reach the peak of the Tree of Life and look out onto the theme park from above as you see the current day earth in all of its beauty and wonder.)

Narrator: We are the future and this is our journey...to a New Life

(Your ride vehicles swoop down for a small drop (not getting the guests wet like Kali) and the ride ends with a quaint and picturesque view of the Discovery Island walking trails from the boats.)

Narrator: Thank you for journeying with us and we hope you enjoy your wild day at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Guests disembark and head towards Discovery Island with (hopefully) a newfound sense of appreciate for not only their planet, but for its inhabitants as well.

Thank you for reading the presentation!:)

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Take Two for the Tree

Since every challenge from now on may be my swan song in this competition, if I go out, I want to go out with a bang, doing something that I actually enjoy... and something I think could be a great addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom. This magnificent theme park is built on a sense of exploration and discovery....a vision of the circle of life here on earth...and a journey through time to explore all of earth's creatures leading to how humanity interacts with wildlife in the contemporary era.

But where did all this come from? And how did we begin?

In my view, one of the missing pieces to Disney's Animal Kingdom has been a slow moving historical attraction inside the park icon that ventures to discover life itself, why we exist, and why we should try and co-exist together as one. Something that combines all the thematic elements of the theme park and seeks to answer paramount questions of life, earth, and our place on this planet.

As part of the research, I wanted to try and find background music that truly fit the feel of the park and blended in seamlessly with the surrounding ambiance. So if you'd like while reading, this is the theme music I picked out...I really like this track, and drawing with the music playing was pretty cool...it felt like this was real. :happy:

Without further ado, my Redemption Island attraction for inside the Tree of Life is entitled:

"New Life"

Attraction Backstory
The Tree of Life has been a symbol for unity and harmony at Disney's Animal Kingdom for almost two decades now, and with the re-branding of the park (Rivers of Light, Pandora, and so on) WDI felt it best to remove the mixed reviewed "It's Tough to Be a Bug" from the Tree of Life and literally uproot the backstory to the tree.

The Tree of Life is now a gateway to exploration. An omnipresent being, it has the capability of traveling back through time and showing life's journey at any point. It breeds "New Life" and can open up new ideas for how we share the planet, and that sparked the inspiration for this new attraction.

Attraction Blueprint

New Life will take guests on a journey back to the dawn of life on earth and how we came to be, ending with the message of communal appreciation of humans and wildlife, and we all share this earth together

This water-based dark ride attraction will require an extensive overhaul of the ground level of the Tree of Life, structurally raising and lowering the land within the roots of the tree in order to fit an attraction inside. In addition, the oil rig interior of the tree trunk will be plastered over and a DNA Helix type support beam that sends the boats spiraling up in the climax of the attraction, will also be installed.

The ride vehicles will hold 4x4 guests for a total of 16 guests per boat. And the left side of the tree will be edited to include a larger waterfall in which the boats will sail down as they gaze out at the beautiful theme park landscape after the ascent up the tree.

Attraction Queue

The queue will be altered slightly from the It's Tough to be a Bug layout, in order to accommodate the terrain changes around the tree. However, the guests will be among the breath-taking surroundings of the Tree of Life, which with the park open later with the addition of the Rivers of Life show, will offer an incredibly unique approach to the attraction during the day and night.

You weave in and out of the wild switchbacks until you approach a small cave-like entrance to the massive Tree of Life. Inside is cold, dark, and magnificently detailed. Roots on the walls give an indication of the age of the tree, and the background music adds to the environment an anticipatory emotion to the guests as they travel further, deep within the roots.

Loading Area

The roots become more dense and you hear the rustling of water up ahead. Water, an essential ingredient for life, up ahead on the horizon as you board time-traveling boats and begin a quest through life's journey.

The ride features next gen visual effects, such as planets rising from the ground, 360 degree lighting and angles that create a visceral ride experience inside the Tree of Life.

Your adventure is narrated by Mother Nature herself, voiced by Julie Andrews

Scene 1 - Abiogenesis

Scene Description
Your boats wade into the night
As billions of stars shine around you at every sight.
Out of the darkness comes a light
Could be the start of life, and it just might.

Narrator: Our journey begins around four billion years ago after the inception of the big bang and the start of our ever expanding universe. With all the star systems in our galaxy and known universe, why Earth? Why is there life on Earth, and what could have caused such a cascade of events to lead to the modern organisms that populate the planet today? The answer may lie in Abiogenesis, the natural process of life arising from non-living matter, such as the organic compounds that radiated out from the big bang itself. This planet was blessed from the beginning. Perfect habitable zone and the start of life, but our journey wasn't over yet.​

Scene 2 - Origin of Water

Scene Description
You've seen the start and time travels on
To the origin of a substance that without, all life would be gone.

Narrator: The origin of water on Earth is not well understood, but its importance is paramount for life. The creatures of the past dwelled in this aquatic environment, and adapted to the harsher atmosphere of infant earth. The moon was closer, the stars were brighter, and the earth itself would soon grow thanks to additional cosmic elements that shaped the future of all who live on this planet.

Scene 3 - Meteorite Bombardment

Scene Description
The high carbon atmosphere of the air
Was about to send the earth a scare
With your boats swiftly approaching the sight
A meteorite shower blasts in, bold and bright

Narrator: The late heavy bombardment, also known as the lunar cataclysm, would shape the life on earth for eons to come. Extinction level events have occurred throughout time and without warning, and have altered the ecosystems of this world to the habitable environment we live in today, and also explains the shape and craters of the moon we see in the night-sky.

Scene 4 - Photosynthesis

Scene Description
The earth has evolved to emit O2
Which helps give life to myself and you
Your boats teeter along for something you don't want to miss
The evolution of Photosynthesis

Narrator: As the earth shaped its atmospheric contents, the process of living plants to adapt to photosynthetic elements became apparent. Taking light energy from the sun to synthesize sugars and carbon dioxide, these growing plants emit oxygen to the atmosphere, spawning the capability for eukaryotic life to evolve from the simple life the earth once had.

Scene 5 - Eukaryotic Organisms and the Birth of Life

Scene Description
The path to life takes a leap
And the expansion will be steep
Your boats turn the corner to the next part
To see how life is a piece of art.

Narrator: The road to multicellular life evolves with our changing world. The eukaryotic organism offers a jumping off point for all multicellular organisms that inhabit the planet today. The essential form of life, is the same in all of us, whether we are from different species, backgrounds, or anything, we must understand that we are here on this planet together, and we are meant to co-exist as one.

Scene 6 - The Cambrian Explosion and the Code for Life

Scene Description
The genetic building block
Functioning around the clock
It makes us who are are and defines our traits
Continue your tour and find out what it creates

Narrator: We've come to Cambrian Explosion, an evolutionary turning point in our planet's history as biodiversity expands the horizons and populates our world with eclectic forms of DNA. The DNA that will genetically design all of earth's creatures and give them the traits we know today.

Scene 7 - The Climax and Ascent Up the Tree of Life

Scene Description
Your boats turn vertically and begin to ascend
As projections around you swirl as you bend
Climb up the trunk to the New Age
You're just about to turn the page...

(The music swells as you see the history of species and evolution to the current day all around you in a visceral experience as you ascend up the DNA shaped helix.)

Narrator: Our planet has evolves millions of species over the billions of years in its existence, and we as humans, are one of the lucky inhabitants of this planet. We have evolved, farther than any being in history, to a level of climatic being on this planet. We must strive to preserve our planet, and build a better future for not only our species but for all of the biodiverse species on the planet.

(You reach the peak of the Tree of Life and look out onto the theme park from above as you see the current day earth in all of its beauty and wonder.)

Narrator: We are the future and this is our journey...to a New Life

(Your ride vehicles swoop down for a small drop (not getting the guests wet like Kali) and the ride ends with a quaint and picturesque view of the Discovery Island walking trails from the boats.)

Narrator: Thank you for journeying with us and we hope you enjoy your wild day at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Guests disembark and head towards Discovery Island with (hopefully) a newfound sense of appreciate for not only their planet, but for its inhabitants as well.

Thank you for reading the presentation!:)

Welp, I'm toast.. :p

Let see who wins..

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Yes because history of the MR's construction, it was lighting error caused a Great Northern Railway train to overshoot the platform at King's Cross and plummet in the works, a boiler explosion that killed a driver and his assistant, Euston to come down during excavation, and the Fleet sewers to burst and flood the excavation site.

Good god, I think we just found the real life Series of Unfortunate Events! :p

RMichael21

Original Poster
Results

This means that @IAmNotAHufflepuff has been eliminated from The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island and has become the second member of the jury alongside @tcool123 . You've been a great competitor Puff, thanks for playing!

In addition, @spacemt354 stays alive on Redemption Island and will receive his next shot at Redemption in the next episode. Congrats!

IAmNotAHufflepuff

@IAmNotAHufflepuff I just wanted to say you did very well especially for your first comp!

Part of me was just joking around with the Drake and Josh twitch:D but the other part was actually twitching because you had a really awesome project!

Seriously, if this was a straight-up comp...I could easily see you in the finals with all the work you put in!

Thanks! :D

That's why I'm not all that fond with the whole murder mystery thing in SYWTBAI 13. It seems to focus more on the killing than the actual Imagineering.. I prefer straight up comps, nothing is more fair than "may the best Imagineer win".

MonorailRed

Applebees
Thanks! :D

That's why I'm not all that fond with the whole murder mystery thing in SYWTBAI 13. It seems to focus more on the killing than the actual Imagineering.. I prefer straight up comps, nothing is more fair than "may the best Imagineer win".

I'll actually second this.

Honestly, I think " straight up comps" really bring out more killer concepts and submissions. Instead of just focusing on strategy.

Nothing against TSI or SYWTBAI though guys!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom