The Great Movie Ride Projects/Announcements

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Well, here it is folks, the official beginning of The Great Movie Ride Imagineering Competition. As I get this started, I'm actually on a fairly last minute WDW trip and Disney Wifi is not being my friend at the moment. Needless to say, a live park intro opening I worked on today is not coming to fruition to much consternation.

Anyway, I'm excited that so many of you have joined me on this adventure. This idea totally came about by accident and once the idea clicked, I had a lot of fun planning this out and hope you enjoy it as well.

To recap on how this will work: Each week we'll take a look at a new film from different time periods, genres, etc. This will mainly be a way to generate some fun discussion on films you may or may not have seen, and if you haven't seen them, pique your curiosity a little to check them out. After reviewing a little about the film, we'll use some piece of each to direct us in our WDW challenge for the week.

The little side mid-week project Trailer Tuesday, will of course be released on Tuesdays, with a reminder of how/what/when to handle it.

Each week projects will be reviewed for Best Picture, Best Art Direction and Best Original Screenplay.

Lets get started!

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster

Scene 1 Act a Fool

So our first trip into the movies, takes us to the 1980's. This film starred some comedy regulars from that period with the likes of Mel Brooks, John Candy, Rick Moranis (and some other guy that would one day be president when we needed him most) and the voice talents of Joan Rivers. This is one of the all time spoof films (long before the Scary Movie franchise) with a humorous take on Star Wars, and a little Planet of the Apes and Star Trek thrown in there.

I am of course talking about Spaceballs. Let's take a look.

So this is one of those films that can be hit or miss with folks. The jokes either click or they don't and you usually know from the very start what with the super long battleship opening I used for the 1st GMR Trailer. Even if you aren't a huge fan, any Star Wars fan should get a chuckle out of some of the jokes. Oddly enough, some of George Lucas' companies actually assisted with sound and effects.

So what do we do with Spaceballs for an Imagineering challenge? This week is going to be a little different in that our challenge will not be a true representation or piece of the film. There was a challenge planned, but after seeing some discussion, the writers when back to the drawing board and changed things up a bit to tap into what your studios are all about. The coming weeks we'll get a little closer to the film action for our challenges.

In the film, the Spaceballs have their own planet, Planet Spaceball. In essence, each of your studio teams will be creating your own Planet Spaceball, but on a much smaller scale. You will be picking one IP and creating a mini, 2 attraction land for the IP you choose. We are not looking for a sprawled out 11 acre land like Toy Story Land, but something on a smaller scale that won't overwhelm a theme park.

A few clarifiers:
(1) The IP you choose, must be a product that your Studio was actually responsible for. Now I realize that a couple of you have a much smaller portfolio than others, but the few IP's you do have are pretty stellar.
(2) You will not be required to include the hunt for oxygen in your land, but at least one of your two attractions will somehow need to involve a water ride of some sort.
(3) No need to worry about fit/placement in a park. Just let your imaginations run wild with the little mini-land you are creating and keep it small enough that it could be incorporated into a Disney theme park.
(4) Project due 7/8 at midnight PST

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Disney Dad

Last edited:

D Hulk

Scene 1 Act a Fool

So our first trip into the movies, takes us to the 1980's. This film starred some comedy regulars from that period with the likes of Mel Brooks, John Candy, Rick Moranis and the voice talents of Joan Rivers. This is one of the all time spoof films (long before the Scary Movie franchise) with a humorous take on Star Wars, and a little Planet of the Apes and Star Trek thrown in there.

I am of course talking about Spaceballs. Let's take a look.

So this is one of those films that can be hit or miss with folks. The jokes either click or they don't and you usually know from the very start what with the super long battleship opening I used for the 1st GMR Trailer. Even if you aren't a huge fan, any Star Wars fan should get a chuckle out of some of the jokes. Oddly enough, some of George Lucas' companies actually assisted with sound and effects.

So what do we do with Spaceballs for an Imagineering challenge? This week is going to be a little different in that our challenge will not be a true representation or piece of the film. There was a challenge planned, but after seeing some discussion, the writers when back to the drawing board and changed things up a bit to tap into what your studios are all about. The coming weeks we'll get a little closer to the film action for our challenges.

In the film, the Spaceballs have their own planet, Planet Spaceball. In essence, each of your studio teams will be creating your own Planet Spaceball, but on a much smaller scale. You will be picking one IP and creating a mini, 2 attraction land for the IP you choose. We are not looking for a sprawled out 11 acre land like Toy Story Land, but something on a smaller scale that won't overwhelm a theme park.

A few clarifiers:
(1) The IP you choose, must be a product that your Studio was actually responsible for. Now I realize that a couple of you have a much smaller portfolio than others, but the few IP's you do have are pretty stellar.
(2) You will not be required to include the hunt for oxygen in your land, but at least one of your two attractions will somehow need to involve a water ride of some sort.
(3) No need to worry about fit/placement in a park. Just let your imaginations run wild with the little mini-land you are creating and keep it small enough that it could be incorporated into a Disney theme park.
(4) Project due 7/8 at midnight PST

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Disney Dad

Either you are a genius, @Disney Dad 3000, or just remarkably lucky! Today is not only the 30th anniversary of Spaceballs, it's also Mel Brooks' 91st birthday!

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster

Just a friendly reminder that Scene 1 projects are due 7/8 at midnight PST. I think most of you are moving along, but just in case, the studio execs don't want you going over budget :). Really looking forward to the results especially the water ride component. Seems we'll possibly be getting some interesting takes on IPs with that requirement.
Any questions about the few criteria and awards don't hesitate to ask.

Also will be posting Trailer Tuesday bonus prompt a day early this week due to holiday.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster

*****TRAILER TUESDAY******
(On a monday)

Scene 1 Act a Fool
In homage to our movie of the week, Spaceballs, your Trailer Tuesday prompt will be to propose a new spoof film for studio execs to review.Keeping it within the family, your film proposal should be centered around any or all of the MCU films.
The style, characters/names, story, etc is entirely up to you, but obviously interesting enough to warrant possibly being green lit for production.
Similar to the 1 sentence competition, you can use 1-3 sentences to provide your pitch along with 1 stock or or original piece of artwork if you so choose. Maximum of 3 entries per studio (1 per person) so if you are strapped for time this week helping your studio with the main project. This is a great way to pitch in and have a little fun with a topic.

5 points per entry will be awarded with one film proposal being selected to head to production and earning a 10 point bonus for their studio.

Please post all entries here in the project thread and include your studio name just to help keep things straight. Entries due by 7/6 5pm PST.

Last edited:

D Hulk

For Trailer Tuesday, Pixar Studios presents...

IMG_2551.JPG

GREAT LAKES AVENGERS
A motley team of inept Avengers fanboys in Milwaukee "misassembles" to battle an imminent/derivative alien invasion masterminded by D-list supervillain Maelstrom. Though a spoof of the original Avengers film, Great Lakes Avengers IS a genuine Marvel property which takes place in the MCU, allowing for recruitment cameos galore (they all say "No,"...or "I am Groot"). Starring Mr. Immortal, Flatman, Big Bertha, Doorman, Dinah Soar, a very irritated Hawkeye, and - best of all - Squirrel Girl!!!

Lora Baines Bradley

For Trailer Tuesday, Pixar Studios presents...

View attachment 213485
GREAT LAKES AVENGERS
A motley team of inept Avengers fanboys in Milwaukee "misassembles" to battle an imminent/derivative alien invasion masterminded by D-list supervillain Maelstrom. Though a spoof of the original Avengers film, Great Lakes Avengers IS a genuine Marvel property which takes place in the MCU, allowing for recruitment cameos galore (they all say "No,"...or "I am Groot"). Starring Mr. Immortal, Flatman, Big Bertha, Doorman, Dinah Soar, a very irritated Hawkeye, and - best of all - Squirrel Girl!!!

Lol! This was the idea I was going to use! Just a Squirrel Girl film though, since she's my favorite. Great minds think alike. ;)

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Lol! This was the idea I was going to use! Just a Squirrel Girl film though, since she's my favorite. Great minds think alike. ;)

No worries! Still time to post and there are a number of great marvel characters waiting to have their names/powers spoofed. Sounds like yours is slightly different anyway and any entry is a good entry. I'm personally looking forward to the Iron Pants movie.

Lora Baines Bradley

Marvel Studios proudly presents...

THE VISION AND THE SCARLET WITCH!

tumblr_o2olnt4auk1qdcj3zo1_1280.jpg

A spoof on the superhero and romance genres, join Vision and Wanda as they desperately try to sustain a relationship while constantly on other sides of the world. There is no true villain, just a series of unfortunate circumstances: they try to have dinner in Paris, but that darn Ultron is revived; a day is set for sightseeing in NYC, but Spider-Man needs Vision for his science project, and so on. Can they make this long distance thing work, and will they ever be able to set a wedding date?

kmbmw777

In association with Pixar Studios, kmbmw777 presents...
Captain Britain
Captbrit.jpg

Brian Braddock’s rich parents refuse to let him leave to serve his country, and they even pay off the draft agents to reject him.
Brian, unflustered, subjects himself to government testing similar to Steve Rogers, and becomes the majestic Captain Britain!
Similar to Steve Rogers, he fights in World War II, and leads the British to victory against an Artificial Intelligence named MASTERMIND who is controlling the air and sea attacks on the United Kingdom!

spacemt354

Chili's
Marvel Studios presents....

Spider-Ham
60541-3499-93536-1-peter-porker-the-sp.jpg

Joining Captain Americat, Iron Mouse, and the Punfisher, Spider-Ham is a lovable anthropomorphic character that goes by the name Peter Porker, and has to balance being a regular teenage pig, along with being a superhero. When Dr. Octopaws' experiment goes horribly wrong, Spider-Ham and his friends must bind together in order to defeat the menacing villain. Music will be by Elmer Bernstein, with cameo appearances by Julie Hagerty, Rick Moranis, and William Shatner featured as Buck Murdock .

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Trailer Tuesday
Just a reminder to send any desired entries in today. I've extended timeline for entry to 12EST/PST in case any travel stragglers want to get in.
Great easy and quick way to contribute to your team if you are unable to help on the main project this week.

On a side note happy to announce that you are not stuck with my lone opinion all season and at varying points will have guest judging from @AimYourBrent, @RMichael21 and possibly 1-2 others.

FigmentPigments

Pixar Studios proudly presents

The Pet Avengers!
latest
As surprising as this sounds, this was an actual thing a while back, but would make an excellent spoof of Disney's own Palace Pets (tales of the various pets of the Disney princesses), but appealing to the male demographic as well.

Follow Lockjaw as he meets his various friends (seriously, the frog has a part of Thor's hammer :hilarious:)while searching for the the six Infinity stones, and over the course of several movies they are transported back to the age of the Dinosaurs and travel to alternate dimensions where (GASP!) they don't have Pet Avengers.

This first movie, simply entitled The Pet Avengers, will focus on the team coming together and through the power of
LOVE, FRIENDSHIP, and TEAMWORK, save the world.

Poe Dameron

Lucasfilm Ltd. presents

Howard the Duck 2: The Duckpire Strikes Back
Howard_the_Duck_screenshot.jpg

Seeing an opportunity to cash in on the wild success of Howard the Duck in 1986, the long overdue sequel will finally be released in 2020. They made Howard an offer he couldn't refuse, and he must join forces with the ducks of Duckworld in order to stop the Dark Overlord from taking over the world, again.

spacemt354

Chili's
Lucasfilm Ltd. presents

Howard the Duck 2: The Duckpire Strikes Back
Howard_the_Duck_screenshot.jpg

Seeing an opportunity to cash in on the wild success of Howard the Duck in 1986, the long overdue sequel will finally be released in 2020. They made Howard an offer he couldn't refuse, and he must join forces with the ducks of Duckworld in order to stop the Dark Overlord from taking over the world, again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom