Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWTank

I've heard nothing about replacing Buzz (not that that is a definite answer)
Thank god:) That is most people's go-to ride. They should really take out Stich and move laugh floor to DHS as it needs a show based on comedy. If it ain't broke, don't fix ;)

Scuttle

I'd be for it. It's just too much valuable real estate and the MK needs a people eating E-Ticket BAD. My personal opinion is that Frozen should have gone on the FL side and a new Tomorrowland attraction on the TL side.

matt9112

I suspect girls would enjoy it just as well, too.

Good fit? What show building in your mind will hide that monstrosity from NFL? I agree the speed way needs to be replaced but not with an E ticket. MK is bursting at the seams the wait would be insane and sight lines would be rubbish. They need to plop down 1 or two solid indoor D tickets. Maybe a ride and some themed dedicated M&G space for tomorrow land. Anything massive wI'll clash too hard and do nothing to fix the parks problems.

Scuttle

Good fit? What show building in your mind will hide that monstrosity from NFL? I agree the speed way needs to be replaced but not with an E ticket. MK is bursting at the seams the wait would be insane and sight lines would be rubbish. They need to plop down 1 or two solid indoor D tickets. Maybe a ride and some themed dedicated M&G space for tomorrow land. Anything massive wI'll clash too hard and do nothing to fix the parks problems.
TDO doesn't really care about sight lines anymore/transitions. The 70s-80s TDO era of that type of detail is gone unfortunately. Swan Dolphin, Tangled Tower, contemporary now visible from Liberty Square, Dumbo show building, and Mermaid show building etc. I'm not so sure it'd matter much.

larandtra

You have to keep in mind that changes happen and the Speedway is replaceable and that area made much better use of. in fact all of tomorrowland except SM - COP can be reimagined. The problem is whose idea of the reimagine makes the most sense from a guest standpoint and a company standpoint. The main issue with Tron ( any type of attraction) that some opponents will say is the lack of interest in it here in the States. Tron is very limited in its scope of interest among most people. Even at its peak when it came out originally in the 80s it was OK but not huge. It has more popularity in Japan and Asia than the States, so it takes some convincing to dedicate resources to something that they will have to promote and doesnt promote itself. It is a high risk reward that some seem to be willing to take the risk on while others are not so sure.

CaptainAmerica

I'd be for it. It's just too much valuable real estate and the MK needs a people eating E-Ticket BAD. My personal opinion is that Frozen should have gone on the FL side and a new Tomorrowland attraction on the TL side.
No. This post fundamentally misstates the problem with guest dynamics at the Magic Kingdom. There is no such thing as a "people eating E-ticket" at the Magic Kingdom. It's impossible. Why? Because attendance is a dynamic variable, not a static one. If attendance were constant, new attractions would work exactly as the "people eaters" you're alluding to. However, history has shown that new attractions draw additional guests to the park that more than offset the new capacity, making the park actually feel more crowded. The Magic Kingdom needs three things to alleviate congestion:

1. More minor attractions that will absorb existing guests but not increase attendance at MK. High-capacity meet-and-greets, for example. Just something that gets people into a building and off of the foot paths.

2. Smarter crowd flow patterns. The pinch points in Adventureland and Fantasyland come to mind. The elimination of the nighttime parade was actually a step in the right direction in this regard. Let's hope that the replacement parade comes with a smarter route and/or alternate paths for guests to get around at parade time.

3. Major E-tickets to draw people to the other three parks.

stitch1donald2

In a latest podcast, Jim Hill said that the highly successful Shanghai Tron Coaster might be a possibility for the Tomorrowland Speedway. Tomorrowland would become kind of a gateway to other worlds such as Wreck-it-Ralph and Tron. Of course, if they could ever get Tron 3 off the ground, the coaster might become a reality. Would you give up the Tomorrowland Speedway for the Tron coaster?
hi
My daughter and I were just discussing ideas the other day and with Wreck it Ralph going in to Stitch, the idea of upgrading the Speedway to a Sugar Rush theme would just seem logical....also, if planning in HS to change Tower of Terror to GoTG, almost a better idea or additional would have been to theme Rockin Rollercoaster to GOTG also, especially since soundtrack to movies is such an important part and would go great with the ride.

KrzyKtty

I will love Disney no matter what, but I really hope they don't put IP in Rocking Rollercoaster. As a rocker girl, I loved that ride all those years ago. I'll also be a bit sad if Tower of Terror is scrapped for Guardians. But progress I guess. Probably only a matter of time.

I get this is Disney, but not everything needs to be IP'd into oblivion.

disneygeek90

I was more so trying to negate the claim that the ride would only be enjoyed by boys. :rolleyes:

21stamps

DHS is on track to get a single mediocre Family Coaster and Epcot should be getting its' Guardians Attraction. While the two Star Wars Attractions and Flight of Passage should be great and more intense, impressive coasters aren't really in abundance. Guardians should be the first notable add on since Everest.

Magic Kingdom has only 4 coasters, and 3 of them are more on the mild side.

There's certainly room for a new addition, whether Tron or something else.

More critical in my eyes is getting Magic Kingdom something boundary pushing in terms of technology and scope. A true 21st Century Attraction. The other three Walt Disney World Parks will all have cutting edge super E Tickets within a couple years, Magic Kingdom deserves to join their (and IOA's) ranks. Every other Castle Park except Paris has one or will have one soon. Tomorrowland presents an interesting opening to use technology in compelling ways. Magic Kingdom feels old, and needs a shot in the arm.

Tron would fit the bill. That attraction is awesome and would instantly become one of the top rides in Orlando. It's the type of attraction teens and young adults would rave about. So would something along the lines of Battle Escape or Battle for the Sunken Treasure.

They could also modernize Space Mountain

Though I'll once again add my disapproaval for removing the Speedway before other expansion pads have been utilized. Seems like another way to save Disney money and mitigate capacity improvements. Let's add capacity, not trade it.

Magic Kingdom is perhaps Disney's most important Brand, powering billions in revenue and profit. It's time they showered it with the attention it deserves.

I don't want MK to become anything like Islands of adventure. And that statement has nothing to do with my love of roller coasters, it's just Magic Kingdom should be for all ages to enjoy together.

DDLand

You have to keep in mind that changes happen and the Speedway is replaceable and that area made much better use of. in fact all of tomorrowland except SM - COP can be reimagined. The problem is whose idea of the reimagine makes the most sense from a guest standpoint and a company standpoint. The main issue with Tron ( any type of attraction) that some opponents will say is the lack of interest in it here in the States. Tron is very limited in its scope of interest among most people. Even at its peak when it came out originally in the 80s it was OK but not huge. It has more popularity in Japan and Asia than the States, so it takes some convincing to dedicate resources to something that they will have to promote and doesnt promote itself. It is a high risk reward that some seem to be willing to take the risk on while others are not so sure.
I disagree strongly. This idea of avoiding capacity improvements like the plague is ridiculous. For whatever reason an incredibly underutilized quadrant of prime real estate sites barren behind walls and no one says anything about it, but the area actually entertaining guests is targeted for replacement.

Think more capacity, not the same or even less.

Tron would be successful guaranteed. Maybe the most successful in Magic Kingdom. Guest reaction was always pretty impressive. It's really good.

No. This post fundamentally misstates the problem with guest dynamics at the Magic Kingdom. There is no such thing as a "people eating E-ticket" at the Magic Kingdom. It's impossible. Why? Because attendance is a dynamic variable, not a static one. If attendance were constant, new attractions would work exactly as the "people eaters" you're alluding to. However, history has shown that new attractions draw additional guests to the park that more than offset the new capacity, making the park actually feel more crowded. The Magic Kingdom needs three things to alleviate congestion:

1. More minor attractions that will absorb existing guests but not increase attendance at MK. High-capacity meet-and-greets, for example. Just something that gets people into a building and off of the foot paths.

2. Smarter crowd flow patterns. The pinch points in Adventureland and Fantasyland come to mind. The elimination of the nighttime parade was actually a step in the right direction in this regard. Let's hope that the replacement parade comes with a smarter route and/or alternate paths for guests to get around at parade time.

There has to be diminishing returns. There are not an infinite number of available guests. With each additional attraction added new customers should be less in abundance.

This same thing happened in the late 1990s. Another way to avoid overload would be to avoid IP attractions which do seem to create artificial crowds based off of brand interest.

Magic Kingdom is the perfect candidate for major brand free rides. Many times people will say Epcot is turning into MK 2.0. That doesn't give MK enough credit.

Build. I'll even take attendance increases if variety and diversity of offerings improves. Magic Kingdom is one of their most important brands. Treat it as such.

larandtra

This is one of the most well thought out and stated things I have seen and is more in line with the way things could shape up. The new E draws at Studios and AK will help to bring crowds to those parks and the eventual redeesign of Epcot will be a huge help to patterns. But, the idea of just throwing multiple E rides to MK is preposterous and makes no logical sense. Redesigning TL with more mid level attractions that people will want to do to fill time between FPs for bigger attractions and balancing the park out ( TL and FL both getting much needed improvements and/or attractions) is the key. Thats why I could see Tron as an option in TL even though initially I do not think it will have the "bang" and will probably be looked down upon by some people. Noone says it has to be a coaster but something mid level everyone can enjoy. The thing they have to focus on is cleaning up the "vision" for TL and what it is, rather than a mish mash of things as it is now. Loosely tied, but, really not streamlined and focused. Great post from Captain America.

KrzyKtty

If Disney made Tron work in Disneyland Shanghai, I am sure they could do it in MK. However, MK is one of a kind, because it is a part of Disney World. Each park has its own identity in my opinion. Disneyland Shanghai has no choice but to find a way to fit everything in one parks, because that is all they have. MK is different.

In my opinion, MK is the park for families to ride things together, younger children included. Even the highest height requirements my 2nd grader can meet. HS is the theme park that seems to try to appeal to some of the older crowd along with Epcot. When my husband and I went to WDW alone for our honeymoon, we didn't even spend a full day in MK. Now with two young children, we spend two days there.

Now like I said, I'm not saying that Tron can't work there. It probably could, but I don't think it will help lines.

KrzyKtty

I disagree. "Boys"- Space, Buzz, MILF, Pirates, HM, Splash, BTTM (Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Frontierland) just to name a few. There is way more "boy" stuff in MK than there is for " Girls" (if you're into stereotypes)
I agree. My son is looking forward to CRT more than my 3 year old girl. Mostly because he is old enough to know how awesome it could be. He said if his sister gets to be a princess, then he gets to be her knight.

I was gushing with "awww" right up until the fighting started again 30 seconds later. :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom