Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocabear

The Jetsons is an IP -- and it belongs to Hanna-Barbera, and they sell their IPs in big packages to other theme parks...
right...duh. I wasn't saying LITERALLY Jetsons, but retro-futurist styled cars...which is why I put it in quotes...
so... uber cool retro futurist space age vehicles... Sci Fi Fantasy...which would actually sort of fit the theme of the last Tomorrowland overlay...

21stamps

but maybe classic as in "Jetson's" retro futurist cars... make them electric...add sets and sounds to the speedway and you have an instant classic... moving props. sound effects and a fun score. No IP, just lots of fun....and people would TOTALLY buy the toy versions of the retro cars...along with the retro graphic Ts.
Oh totally, I'm all for the electric idea like others have already stated.
The Jetsons is an IP -- and it belongs to Hanna-Barbera, and they sell their IPs in big packages to other theme parks...
I grew up going to an amusement park where the kid's area was called "Hanna Barbera Land". It had some great attractions! I think now Six Flags owns it. Our local park has Peanuts.( Planet Snoopy)

Figments Friend

In a latest podcast, Jim Hill said that the highly successful Shanghai Tron Coaster might be a possibility for the Tomorrowland Speedway. Tomorrowland would become kind of a gateway to other worlds such as Wreck-it-Ralph and Tron. Of course, if they could ever get Tron 3 off the ground, the coaster might become a reality. Would you give up the Tomorrowland Speedway for the Tron coaster?

Oh heck yeah.....
Would love to see a Tron related Attraction come Stateside.
The land space where the Speedway is I would think would be big enough to fit something substantial ...even if just a 'interactive' dark ride / simulator type of experience.

Not entirely certain if a full blown clone of Shanghai's coaster would be able to be adapted to that particular land plot, or would be feasible, but it would be a great addition in some form somewhere on property.
Of course the outside of the Attraction would likely be completely redesigned to fit in better with WDWs pre-existing Tomorrowland 'look'...but that is typical of most cloned Attractions anyway.
There are always some differences.

I'm a big Tron fan, but I'm saying the above in respects to how it would fit thematically, how it would enhance the Guest experience, and how it would add to the already present MK Attraction lineup.
I see all win here.
I'm seeing the chances of a non-coaster option....but it's still a win in my opinion.

The Speedway is long past its prime.
Time for something more .....appropriate....and exciting to get people pumped about future possibilities.

Bring it on!

'Tron 3 Lives!'
:geek:

-

Last edited:

WDWTank

They need to do something with Adventureland. Do any of the Disney parks have a really nice take on adventureland? It always seems to be the land that they just throw pirates and jungle cruise in and call it a day. I would like to see them re-imagine what an adventureland could be.
Fire Mountain, on the seven seas lagoon :) Guests would enter a winding pathway between pirates and jungle cruise into what appears to be a volcano guarded by an ancient evil :)

WDWTank

For Tomorrowland, a ride-through version of alien encounter to replace stitch :) guests will teleport directly to Clench, but of course something goes terribly wrong. And because it's a ride-through, people won't get confused whether it's scary or not :)

ryguy

Count me in for wanting something different for the speedway. Surely they can find something more futuristic than an outdated toxic ride. Feel bad for the cast members working there, taking years off their lives. Classic example of Disney being lazy and/or cheap by not replacing this dinosaur many moons ago.

What is the concept for a wreck Ralph ride?

mouse_luv

While I would probably prefer new attractions here (not TRON), a Sugar Rush overlay almost makes too much sense . Cheaper than building new and it's aesthetic is colorful and wild enough to match Fantasyland. At the same time the video game angle warrants its proximity to Tomorrowland.

Cars would be a stretch but not out of the question. The Cars aesthetic lends itself more to the rock work in Frontierland though I'm not sure I would like to see it there either.

I said this about adding Sugar Rush Racers in it's place years ago, and then making sure the cars weren't running on lawn mower gas fume spewing engines.

Also, why Tron?! Isn't that what was cheaply done to TT with the 2.0 version over at EPCOT?!

SteamboatJoe

I said this about adding Sugar Rush Racers in it's place years ago, and then making sure the cars weren't running on lawn mower gas fume spewing engines.

Also, why Tron?! Isn't that what was cheaply done to TT with the 2.0 version over at EPCOT?!

I don't get the Tron love either. Maybe its because I've never actually watched the movies. The new ride in Shanghai looks cool but as others have said, they aren't going to stick that same ride right next to an existing dark roller coaster.

Ignohippo

The plans heard about Tron had it going over by/or replacing CoP. There have been other ideas for the Speedway land.

I, for one, would be really unhappy if they ever got rid of the Speedway. I understand it takes up a large plot of land, but I would hope they would re-route it so that they could have 2 or 3 attractions on one large piece of land. There's no reason the Speedway couldn't go around or through whatever is put there, if designed correctly. Kind of like how TTA works around existing attractions.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Would this be the possible replacement to Buzz I hear whispered about every once in a while?
@Magic Feather with Splash going down for refurb this year Aug-November... Could Buzz being turned into a Tron ride be the reason for this push forward as it was explained in that thread? Back to speedway, how soon before anything happens with speedway?

doctornick

Does MK need another coaster? Really?

They are already adding new coasters DHS and Epcot. Variety is the spice of life.

I wouldn't say that MK "needs" another coaster, but I wouldn't have a problem with one. Or really any additional ride.

I do think that they should add another thrilling ride to the park... in Adventureland which lacks that type of experience and arguably lacks a true E-ticket depending on your opinion of MK's POTC (I'd count it as an E, but some don't). Now, I'm not saying it needs a "coaster" but a thrilling ride like Indiana Jones or JTTCOTE (or perhaps whatever Fire Mountain would be) would be a nice addition and would add another dynamic to the park.

...but I'd also add a long, engaging modern take on WRE as a relaxing family ride to Frontierland if I had my way.

DDLand

Does MK need another coaster? Really?

They are already adding new coasters DHS and Epcot. Variety is the spice of life.
DHS is on track to get a single mediocre Family Coaster and Epcot should be getting its' Guardians Attraction. While the two Star Wars Attractions and Flight of Passage should be great and more intense, impressive coasters aren't really in abundance. Guardians should be the first notable add on since Everest.

Magic Kingdom has only 4 coasters, and 3 of them are more on the mild side.

There's certainly room for a new addition, whether Tron or something else.

More critical in my eyes is getting Magic Kingdom something boundary pushing in terms of technology and scope. A true 21st Century Attraction. The other three Walt Disney World Parks will all have cutting edge super E Tickets within a couple years, Magic Kingdom deserves to join their (and IOA's) ranks. Every other Castle Park except Paris has one or will have one soon. Tomorrowland presents an interesting opening to use technology in compelling ways. Magic Kingdom feels old, and needs a shot in the arm.

Tron would fit the bill. That attraction is awesome and would instantly become one of the top rides in Orlando. It's the type of attraction teens and young adults would rave about. So would something along the lines of Battle Escape or Battle for the Sunken Treasure.

They could also modernize Space Mountain

Though I'll once again add my disapproaval for removing the Speedway before other expansion pads have been utilized. Seems like another way to save Disney money and mitigate capacity improvements. Let's add capacity, not trade it.

Magic Kingdom is perhaps Disney's most important Brand, powering billions in revenue and profit. It's time they showered it with the attention it deserves.

Captain Barbossa

Heck no!! Tron is STUPID. I always thought it would be cool if they could incorporate CARS with it. Idk maybe put some faces on them? But it wouldn't work with the theme of Towmorrowland.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand all the hate for the Speedway. Obviously not people who grew up with carburetors and regular gasoline! :p

I have pollution nostalgia!

Anyhoo... What insiders have been saying for TL has been changing constantly for the past half year. And it sounds like no plans have been greenlit yet, so... things can still change.

When the insiders tell us about all these changes in plans, I imagine different groups within WDW competing to put forward their plans. And then a knife fight breaks out.

Daveeeeed

DHS is on track to get a single mediocre Family Coaster and Epcot should be getting its' Guardians Attraction. While the two Star Wars Attractions and Flight of Passage should be great and more intense, impressive coasters aren't really in abundance. Guardians should be the first notable add on since Everest.

Magic Kingdom has only 4 coasters, and 3 of them are more on the mild side.

There's certainly room for a new addition, whether Tron or something else.

More critical in my eyes is getting Magic Kingdom something boundary pushing in terms of technology and scope. A true 21st Century Attraction. The other three Walt Disney World Parks will all have cutting edge super E Tickets within a couple years, Magic Kingdom deserves to join their (and IOA's) ranks. Every other Castle Park except Paris has one or will have one soon. Tomorrowland presents an interesting opening to use technology in compelling ways. Magic Kingdom feels old, and needs a shot in the arm.

Tron would fit the bill. That attraction is awesome and would instantly become one of the top rides in Orlando. It's the type of attraction teens and young adults would rave about. So would something along the lines of Battle Escape or Battle for the Sunken Treasure.

They could also modernize Space Mountain

Though I'll once again add my disapproaval for removing the Speedway before other expansion pads have been utilized. Seems like another way to save Disney money and mitigate capacity improvements. Let's add capacity, not trade it.

Magic Kingdom is perhaps Disney's most important Brand, powering billions in revenue and profit. It's time they showered it with the attention it deserves.
Paris' Pirates is so good it is truly a super-headliner TBH, and the park is so pretty that it makes up for a second one.

Space Mountain: Mission 2 is what The Magic Kingdom misses, an epic thrilling coaster.

There's not a single very thrilling ride in the entire Magic Kingdom.

It's long overdue. The Magic Kingsom needs a dark ride, a very thrilling coaster, and a super-headliner like Indy or Forbidden Journey.

Since all 3 are not going to happen anytime soon (mind you, there has not been an epic scale attraction since Splash Mountain, and then they closed 20k Leagues Under the Sea so we are in a defecit for over 20 years for the most popular park in the world!!!!!!!!!!) I really hope at least one of those 3 happens. Any would be welcome. A super high quality dark ride, a super headliner minor thrill ride, or a very thrilling coaster. Just look at the waits for the thrill rides at the park, capacity is an issue for the demand, but then we're back at the issue of not everyone can enjoy them, so MK truly needs a not that thrilling big ride first, but please don't complain with whatever they chose because MK needs something so darn badly.

It's absurd the amount of time to have to wait for rides at WDW. These rides are good but are not above and beyond attractions... SDMT, Space Mountain, Soarin', Test Track, Rock n' Rollercoaster etc. Meanwhile just down the street while their second tier attractions suffer from the screen problem Universal has so many mind blowing attractions. From Spider-Man to Forbidden Journey. It's a shame that the Magic Kingdom has not gotten a single one since before IOA opened. Pretty sad isn't it? Even though it has over twice of both Universal's parks' attendance combined.

The only reason it's bearable is because we mainly enjoy the park instead of just the rides, and thankfully we book fast passes in advance, but it's still quite crazy when you think about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom