Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrzyKtty

Wouldn't it be cool if they modified it just slightly, but kept the theme of allowing children to drive the same? Use electric and futuristic designs like others have said. But also give it the illusion that it was hovering? That way the children could experience the sci-fi aspect of driving a hover/flying car?

stitch1donald2

This is a great thread to read... I've been to WDW probably closing in on 20x (first in 1973 when I was 12). We would usually go 4-5 days a visit before kids and when our kids were little (now they are 18 and 19). Was on the space coast last week and went for a day (definitely not the best time of year for a quick visit). My $.02...
- Tomorrowland Speedway badly needs a refresh and the idea of an electric and more futuristic looking car would be great. How about some of that self-driving technology that's on the road right now. Let the drivers change lanes (if google can have cars driving on regular streets and well mapped and regulated track should be doable). The attraction is still popular and probably more so if you can get rid of the fumes.
- I haven't been on COP for years and even when it's open seasonally it seems like nobody really goes on it. Can't something else go there?
- last week was crowded, we got our FP+ the morning we went (spur of the moment trip on a cool day and went to EPCOT during the day) and got decent ones for that night (Pirates, Buzz and HM). Unfortunately aside from that we weren't able to get on any other attractions due to wait times. Stitch closed at 6p even though all the other attractions had waits of 50-120 minutes (make sense of that for me). There really wasn't time to wait in line for anything decent w/o risking missing our FP window.

Completely agree that right now MK seems to have even more appeal relative to the other parks (maybe Avatar will help that). EPCOT Innoventions West if closed, nobody wants to go on Ellen's Energy Adventure (which I'm good with but it's too long). I like DHS and attractions like Indiana Jones do suck up the crowds and don't have the long wait... I don't know if something like that would suit MK though?
Really think doing at least a refresh on Speedway would help(its still popular if can tell by wait times)...the Wreck it Ralph/Sugar Rush wrap, electric cars and to make more current, maybe some sort of game tie-in...think PokemonGo where some sort of electronic badges/icons or something are sought throughout points on ride to spice it up a bit(cars still on some sort of track system for safety of course). It is essentially a kids/parents ride and that kind of game/search thing is more relevant nowadays but still fun and good for any age...thrill rides are great but it is also nice to have those "family bonding" type rides.

KrzyKtty

If there really wanted something to showcase technology they could develop digital photo paper wrap? That way you design your own Candy Crush car like in the movie. You make your design, then it is uploaded onto the wrap which changes the visuals of the car.

Kids would love that. The technology is already there to build off of. Probably not able to put it into production tomorrow, but in the next 5 years? Sure.

CaptainAmerica

Again, as I said in another thread, this is a unique attraction that makes Disney World unique.
Come on, man, give me a break. I enjoy the Speedway too but it's not anywhere near a "unique" attraction. It's the exact opposite.

Zoomer's Gas n' Go at Lake Compounce, Antique Cars at Story Land, Wild Wheelz at Six Flags New England, Cadillac Cars at Cedar Point, Sunoco Turnpike at Dutch Wonderland, Twin Turnpike at Hershey Park, and on and on. There's a ride like that at dozens of amusement parks.

MotherOfBirds

There's FAILING Jim Hill again WITH HIS FALLING RATINGS and his FAKE NEWS. Sad!

No Tron, no how. We have the BEST people working on Tomorrowland. Just terrific. You are going to love Tomorrowland in 2021. Believe me.

In all honesty, they considered it and said no.
Every single noun and verb in this post hurts me.

larandtra

Wait times on the Speedway are very misleading. It is a slow loader and thus makes for more of a wait and right now the MK needs more attractions to move crowds. Progress is inevitable just like losing 20K, Snow White, Mr Toad, etc. And the TL area needs a reimagine. Thats why I am of the mind that plans to do more "family" oriented mid level attractions vs one mega coaster huge draw type things are more likely. I think the speedway is nostalgia, but, planned correctly with the right attractions, there could be great new experiences with younger children that will create just as memorable experiences, while also moving the crowds more efficiently.

rd805

I don't get the Tron love either. Maybe its because I've never actually watched the movies. The new ride in Shanghai looks cool but as others have said, they aren't going to stick that same ride right next to an existing dark roller coaster.

The tron coaster is nothing like Space Mountain.

ToTBellHop

Ha! Jim was the first person to speak to Pops abandoned Legendary Years being resurrected and turned into a value of suites resort. The fans did the same as this Failing Jim. And yet nobody acknowledged that.

You can't be wrong if all you can offer up is Best People and your going to love 2021. Hardly going out on a limb of real knowledge.
I fear you may have misunderstood my post.

I offer plenty of information on new projects coming to WDW. TRON coaster isn't one of them.

What if we pushed for WDW to receive its own novel attractions and not the best hits from other WDW parks.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
regarding the popularity of TRON and whether that makes it a valid IP for Disney to add an attraction, IMO it's something with a simple enough premise that anyone can understand, even if they haven't watched the movies.

You're in a digital land where people ride fast bikes in neon colors and compete against each other. Visually TRON is a spectacle and along with the great soundtrack from Daft Punk, Disney could promote this experience easily.

The Speedway is a relic of the past...even race cars are getting away from purely gasoline engines (not NASCAR, but F1) and our cars are going to be more and more reliant on electric or other power going forward, as well as self driving capabiity. None of that is in our current Speedway.

gustaftp

Highlight of our trip was my 3 year old bouncing with excitement in the drivers seat being able to "drive" a car with his daddy by his side whose foot was on the pedal.
This. As an adult without children, I do not choose to go on the Speedway. However, as a young kid, being able drive a "real" car with my dad was pretty awesome. I wouldn't trade that memory for anything, and that memory repeats itself amongst children and parents every day. It was very special for me.

I wouldn't be against fixing it up, modernizing it, or doing something different with it. But I don't think ditching it is the answer.

ppete1975

Children want to be like their heroes. And as bad as we can be at times and our opinions of ourselves in society, we are their heroes. That's why kids want to be just like us, kids gravitate towards keys, cell phones (my day regular phones), and driving cars!!! (childish excitement not yelling). That's the appeal to this ride, and as an adult the appeal is seeing this in our children or nephews nieces. Updates to it could/should be made but it needs to be cars (not rockets not spaceships) and outside of the gas aspect and some visual improvements and theming.. it works great.
Like many have said about tomorowland and embracing a steam punk or retro feel.. I think they should retro the cars.. maybe the old Disneyland styles..or even Disneyland paris something that look like what we thought future cars would look like in the 50s
JUST CALL BOB GURR!!! HE can fix It :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I fear you may have misunderstood my post.

I offer plenty of information on new projects coming to WDW. TRON coaster isn't one of them.

What if we pushed for WDW to receive its own novel attractions and not the best hits from other WDW parks.

No, no misunderstanding. I saw nothing of substance put out in the post I quoted of yours. What I saw was go to phrases from our President FAKE NEWS, YOUR GOING TO LOVE Jim is hit or miss. Not always right, not always wrong. About as reliable as many I follow when they are speaking to rumors. Still I am not seeing in your post any clarification of what exactly is going to happen in that location. Sustenance to back up the Trump-isms that you threw in there.

ToTBellHop

No, no misunderstanding. I saw nothing of substance put out in the post I quoted of yours. What I saw was go to phrases from our President FAKE NEWS, YOUR GOING TO LOVE Jim is hit or miss. Not always right, not always wrong. About as reliable as many I follow when they are speaking to rumors. Still I am not seeing in your post any clarification of what exactly is going to happen in that location. Sustenance to back up the Trump-isms that you threw in there.
"In all honesty, they considered it and said no."

We are planned to keep a cars attraction as it is popular. But the attraction will change. No more icky smell.

Buried20KLeague

The Shanghai Tron coaster is very popular that is why Disney seems to be looking at it again. They could put it in without Tron 3 being made. They just need a way to get people to buy lots of Tron merchandise.

I would say "popular" depends on your definition of the word.

I spent three days at Shanghai Disneyland last week. I rode Tron probably 8 times over the three days. Never once did it have a line longer than 10 minutes at the MOST. Lines weren't too crazy anywhere in the park... But Tron was consistantly one of the lowest wait times overall. So much so that by 6PM each evening they had cut the ride down to one train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom