PHOTOS - Discovery Island expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom underway

LL2WDW

Geez....I hope AK isn't that bad. I will be there end of April. One of my favorite things to do is literally just relaxing in the park taking in the lush peaceful atmosphere.

By then, will there still be walls surrounding you wherever you go? Have any lush areas and water features been removed? I can go to the other parks for concrete.

I was at DAK on Sunday, and the walls did not ruin my experience. Now, there are definitely a lot of walls when you first come on to Discovery Island. It's narrow and boxed in, but once you pass this zone, it's smooth sailing. It continues to be a relaxing, lush environment. Just temper your expectations for the arrival, get past the walls, all is good.

Rob562

Trying to visually understand all the changes happening here:
16197407429_4b9ba4e57c_b.jpg

A. I believe there was confirmation that the rear Tree of Life Garden Path was open and net free. Is the front path now open and go all the way from east side to west side (under a root waterfall) or still blocked off?

B. Flame Tree seating area being reworked (expected for Rivers of Light dining)

C. They removed a chunk of the "riverine viewing habitat" for a large, open plaza. Is the riverine habitat north of that still extant or slated for removal?

D. Noticed tons of vegetation removed here so back of buildings is totally open from bridge. Are they building a new shop?

E. Continued planter reduction here or expansion to shop?

F. Pizzafari, any idea of how significant this expansion will be?

G. Starbucks conversion... Any expansion to building?

What have I missed (thought there was a new M&G takeover and a moved lemur habitat)?

Thanks for input.

I can really only speak to D, F and G.

D) If I'm not mistaken this is where the new cotton-top tamarin exhibit was built and they're expanding the store outward to counteract the loss of Creature Comforts to Starbucks.

F) The rumor was that a new full service location was going into the back of Pizzafari. At first it was just going to be taking over part of the existing restaurant, but then they started clearing land.
At one point I put forth the idle speculation that perhaps it was to be a Signature dining location, since AK is the only park that doesn't have any kind of a 2-DDP-credit location.

G) I don't recall reading anything about major changes to the Creature Comforts building changing to Starbucks other than the interior and some exterior color scheme changes.

-Rob

Jane Doe

We were at Animal Kingdom on Monday, if I was making a once in a lifetime trip and had paid full whack for Animal Kingdom I'd be livid. I don't think that Disney finally rectifying years of under investment in the parks is going to be much of a consolation.

Jon81uk

We were at Animal Kingdom on Monday, if I was making a once in a lifetime trip and had paid full whack for Animal Kingdom I'd be livid. I don't think that Disney finally rectifying years of under investment in the parks is going to be much of a consolation.

But the attraction count at DAK hasn't changed in several years. All attractions are open, just a couple of store closures really and some walls in the centre of the park. Once you get on the Safari you wouldn't notice anything.

Hollywood Studios on the other hand has actually closed three attractions (Backlot, Jack Sprarrow & American Idol) with no replacements....

mm52200

But the attraction count at DAK hasn't changed in several years. All attractions are open, just a couple of store closures really and some walls in the centre of the park. Once you get on the Safari you wouldn't notice anything.

Hollywood Studios on the other hand has actually closed three attractions (Backlot, Jack Sprarrow & American Idol) with no replacements....
Agree with you on Animal Kingdom and DHS, but also both parks lost parades which I think is just in really poor taste. Technically though DHS did add and keep the Frozen Sing A Long show...but I don't think that really makes up for the lost capacity of three attractions.

RSoxNo1

Wasn't everything open except Flame Tree BBQ?

Jon81uk

Agree with you on Animal Kingdom and DHS, but also both parks lost parades which I think is just in really poor taste. Technically though DHS did add and keep the Frozen Sing A Long show...but I don't think that really makes up for the lost capacity of three attractions.

I don't think a parade will be coming back to Animal Kingdom, the paths are too narrow for it to work well. But once the work is done on Discovery Island I expect to see street entertainment / mini-parades.

mm52200

I don't think a parade will be coming back to Animal Kingdom, the paths are too narrow for it to work well. But once the work is done on Discovery Island I expect to see street entertainment / mini-parades.
I mean it worked for 12 years but as long some form of major daytime entertainment comes back that'd be fine.

Jon81uk

I mean it worked for 12 years but as long some form of major daytime entertainment comes back that'd be fine.

Personally, I don't think it did work that well, I remember it being crowded, crammed in and difficult to get around the park if you didn't want to see that parade. The other parks have pavements or alternative pathways that DAK just doesn't have. Of course with the pathway widening they might be able to stage a parade again easier, but it just didn't feel like there was enough room to me.

DHS on the other hand, has the space to do a parade and really needs to bring it back!

JLipnick

I would love for some version of the tapestry of nations parade to come to AK. i always loved that parade at EPCOT and I think it (with some minor changes) would fit in well at AK. it wouldn't have to be too long as most of the costumes and floats were copied over and over in order to make the parade make it all the way around WS lagoon before ending. so perhaps a mini version? thoughts?

SnarkyMonkey

But you don't have to go to AK during your vacation. There is plenty of other things to do. So, if you know there's major construction in the park and that this would be disappointing to you, don't go there.

I would love for some version of the tapestry of nations parade to come to AK. i always loved that parade at EPCOT and I think it (with some minor changes) would fit in well at AK. it wouldn't have to be too long as most of the costumes and floats were copied over and over in order to make the parade make it all the way around WS lagoon before ending. so perhaps a mini version? thoughts?

I think this is a great idea!! I would love to see a parade there.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
My wife and I are pulling an all dayer and hitting all the parks but Animal Kingdom. I really see no value in wasting time at that park even with a park hopper. There are maybe 2 attractions I would want to ride. Avatar Land can't some soon enough!

Jane Doe

Thing is not everyone reads these boards and if you haven't visited for a few years you'll be greeted by a view of cranes from the car park, walls at the entrance and walls all around the park, a clear view of the construction of the bamboo climbing frame for the chimps being carried out and the parade (which we have always enjoyed more than any other), gone. The quietness of the park being out of season meant that our FP+s were virtually redundant but the planning ahead that you have to do now meant that you had to make your choice of park and FPs sixty days out. The loss of the Flame Tree Barbecue has had a large knock on effect, even for a quiet day, the remaining counter service restaurants were packed out. It makes little difference to me but surely you can understand that some folk would be a bit ed off with the appearance of a premium park who charge premium prices?

SnarkyMonkey

Thing is not everyone reads these boards and if you haven't visited for a few years you'll be greeted by a view of cranes from the car park, walls at the entrance and walls all around the park, a clear view of the construction of the bamboo climbing frame for the chimps being carried out and the parade (which we have always enjoyed more than any other), gone. The quietness of the park being out of season meant that our FP+s were virtually redundant but the planning ahead that you have to do now meant that you had to make your choice of park and FPs sixty days out. The loss of the Flame Tree Barbecue has had a large knock on effect, even for a quiet day, the remaining counter service restaurants were packed out. It makes little difference to me but surely you can understand that some folk would be a bit ****ed off with the appearance of a premium park who charge premium prices?

Disney makes their closures widely known. You don't have to visit these boards to find this stuff out. Like you say, it is apparent from the parking lot, even.

Jon81uk

And an Animal Program cast member cries.
Sorry Bolt:(!! We both just are not a fan of Dinosaurs and Yeti and Rapids will be closed for refurbishment so its hard to justify the time, unless we do then we will make it over there

Ummmm, Dinosaurs, Yetis & Rapids aren't animal program?
There is plenty to do at AK that isn't rides, two walking trails where you can spend 10 minutes each watching gorillas and tigers let alone all the birds, bats, rats and other animals. you also have Rafiki's planet watch, all of the discovery island animals and three shows to watch.

Bolt

Ummmm, Dinosaurs, Yetis & Rapids aren't animal program?
There is plenty to do at AK that isn't rides, two walking trails where you can spend 10 minutes each watching gorillas and tigers let alone all the birds, bats, rats and other animals. you also have Rafiki's planet watch, all of the discovery island animals and three shows to watch.
Way more than 10 minutes, too.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, Feb 1. The area in front of The Tree of Life has been walled off for some time. Light poles with speakers have been seen above the construction wall. Here is a view of the work behind the wall, as seen from the shelter on the left side. The new area is bounded by large "tree roots" and a bamboo picket fence as seen elsewhere in the park. A cast member in the shelter said the kangaroos and other animals that were seen here have been removed during this phase of construction.

IMG_4690.JPG

From an elevated area closer to the Tree of Life, looking down into the new construction. The large brown forms beyond the chain link fence are the new "tree roots." The building in the background is Disney Outfitters.

IMG_4691.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom