PHOTOS - Discovery Island expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom underway

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
That last photo....why can't they find someone to employee that can actually match or at least come close to matching concrete colors anymore?

xstech25

/\ I have a feeling that's going to be fixed and rather quickly. I know WDI likes to chew out contractors that do shoddy work, specifically on concrete footpath at DAK (someone told me about when they expanded a drain and didn't do a good job on the engravings, WDI made them come back and completely strip out/redo it).

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Pardon my ignorance, but won't the concrete color soon fade in the sunlight and match? Having pretty much 0 construction knowledge, I just assume that it would happen pretty quickly in the Florida sunlight. Assumptions can be dangerous though.

dannyboyindc

That last photo....why can't they find someone to employee that can actually match or at least come close to matching concrete colors anymore?

Are the concrete colors the same throughout the park? I can't remember. That same pic has the lighter color concrete on the left hand side as well.

Gabe1

Are the concrete colors the same throughout the park? I can't remember. That same pic has the lighter color concrete on the left hand side as well.

I'm not sure how they are throughout the park. I don't like the patching that doesn't match the immediate area that they are working on.

I went and pulled another picture from the MK to demonstrate why I hate to see Disney Starting this practice at AK. Take a look at how many different shades are patched up at the MK. With computurized matching of shades it is now possible to even match colors that have faded in the sun.
IMG_0974-1.jpg

Last edited:

Rob562

What is the main plan for all of this? I see an animal exhibit. Is it more walkways and expanding a store. Anything else?

A lot of the walls are just refurbishment of the garden and animal areas around the Tree. I'd presume a lot will go away at the end of September when ITTBAB reopens.

-Rob

Bolt

Lets hope they dont plan to drag this out like the hub project at MK, though I"m guessing that they do.

Its pretty insane to have the centerpiece areas of 2 parks torn up and walled off at the same time.
The centerpiece of MK wasn't the Plaza smoking section, fyi...

Everyone can still see the Castle...

Gabe1

Matching colored concrete is one of the hardest things to do. The proportions have to be perfect. I did concrete work for close to 10 years and this issue is why we always got extra help and poured the entire job all at once.

It is an art and good record keeping of the tint ratios. It is done in my town everytime we have a water main break.

They are not even giving a good effort. They are not even close to same colors let alone shade. At the MK there is some gray, orange, pink, beige, red. They are not close to matching.
IMG_0974-1.jpg

And the Animal Kingdom one. One not even in the same color family.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...4jul2014-discovery-island-expansion/21493.htm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom