PHOTOS - Discovery Island expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom underway

MattC

Yeah, the number of walls up right now is crazy. I'm glad the work is being done, but it makes AK less enjoyable for the time being.

SnarkyMonkey

Yes...I think I would leave AK off the itinerary for now. I did the same with MK when new Fantasyland was being built. I'm didn't want to see it all torn up.

RSoxNo1

Yes...I think I would leave AK off the itinerary for now. I did the same with MK when new Fantasyland was being built. I'm didn't want to see it all torn up.
The park doesn't look like it's normal beautiful self, but the biggest thing from an activity standpoint are the Tree of Life Exhibits and Discovery Island trails, parts of which are still visible.

SnarkyMonkey

Don't get me wrong. I am happy to see the walls. I love construction of any kind at WDW.

When I go to WDW, I usually only visit 3 of the parks. So, if one has major construction happening, we leave that one off the list.

gonnichi

There does seem to be a lot of work being done all over the park in anticipation of seeing a lot more guests in AK. I just don't see Avatarland and RoL bringing in thousands of more guests like Harry Potter did. Avatarland will be big enough to absorb a lot of the new guests in my opinion. So these new supporting areas I am hoping are being build because other plans are out there along with Avatarland and RoL. Here is hoping for the best. maybe pandas? lol.

Last edited:

doctornick

There does seem to be a lot of work being done all over the park in anticipation of seeing a lot more guests in AK. I just don't see Avatarland and RoL bringing in thousands of more guests like Harry Potter did. Avatarland will be big enough to absorb a lot of the new guests in my opinion. So these new supporting areas I am hoping are being build because other plans are out there along with Avatarland and RoL. Here is hoping for the best. maybe pandas? lol.

I think one of the things is that they anticipate not just more guests but guests who come to be staying longer, which would necessitate more total capacity. It's a big reason they are expanding dining options, which are relatively limited in DAK compared to other parks.

Kman101

And Africa/Harambe was fairly cramped, in all honesty. They needed to expand it and they are with the new Festival of the Lion King area and the new marketplace being built.

Also, many animal exhibit areas are finally being refurbished. I don't think the park has gotten much refurbishment love.

A lot of this work really needed to be done and I like seeing Animal Kingdom get some needed attention.

You may not like Avatar but if the land and rides are good it won't matter. People will come and will visit. No it may not be Harry Potter levels but it's not like Potter has people lined up to the park entrance anymore, the lands are still popular, the rides are popular, but the wait times are also on par with other rides, so I don't think we need to keep comparing.

Not to mention Rivers of Light as well as a night safari (and how many people who have gone to AK at night remark just how beautiful and well lit it is there at night), and we've had some minor rumors of an Up! presence, but no one else has really elaborated on that.

And Spirit just recently shot down the panda thing. That's not happening.

RandySavage

Trying to visually understand all the changes happening here:
16197407429_4b9ba4e57c_b.jpg

A. I believe there was confirmation that the rear Tree of Life Garden Path was open and net free. Is the front path now open and go all the way from east side to west side (under a root waterfall) or still blocked off?

B. Flame Tree seating area being reworked (expected for Rivers of Light dining)

C. They removed a chunk of the "riverine viewing habitat" for a large, open plaza. Is the riverine habitat north of that still extant or slated for removal?

D. Noticed tons of vegetation removed here so back of buildings is totally open from bridge. Are they building a new shop?

E. Continued planter reduction here or expansion to shop?

F. Pizzafari, any idea of how significant this expansion will be?

G. Starbucks conversion... Any expansion to building?

What have I missed (thought there was a new M&G takeover and a moved lemur habitat)?

Thanks for input.

EPCOTCenterLover

At this point, if I were to visit WDW, I'd skip Animal Kingdom and the Studios. MK would be a must see for New Fantasyland and Epcot only because I love World Showcase at night. Instead, I think I'll skip WDW for a few more years. By then it will be almost ten years since I've visited the place. I might enjoy it all over again.

doctornick

At this point, if I were to visit WDW, I'd skip Animal Kingdom and the Studios. MK would be a must see for New Fantasyland and Epcot only because I love World Showcase at night. Instead, I think I'll skip WDW for a few more years. By then it will be almost ten years since I've visited the place. I might enjoy it all over again.

DAK is not really any worse off than before, except there is no parade. Otherwise, there is just as many attractions open as there has been for years.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I still find plenty to do at DAK. It's DHS that is a shell of a park. Useless to us with young kids as TSMM is now so jerky that your head hurts at the end and we have 2-year olds that can't do the thrill rides.

EPCOTCenterLover

I get what you're saying, but to me, DAK is about atmosphere too. Especially with so few attractions, with walls everywhere, it just wouldn't feel the same.

MySmallWorldof4

DHS is useless for the most part for my family. Not too much to do with young kids anymore. There are only so many times you can see the Disney Junior show. Little Mermaid has gotten a bit old. I also thought TSMM was not as smooth my last trip. I miss the old Animation Studio Tour where you could actually watch animators making movies. I remember being there when they were making "Brother Bear". It was so cool to listen to the animator giving the tour and talking about how they made an animated feature. He had seemed so pleased with his job. Yep, but then came the axe. Sad.

Fable McCloud

They should jut call all the parks "Construction Land!" for all the work they're doing. I know it'll be worth it, but I hate seeing all the walls and cranes in peoples vacation photos. I just feel like the magic is partially ruined for first time vacationers who have to see scrims around the castle or walls everywhere.

Rescue Ranger

Geez....I hope AK isn't that bad. I will be there end of April. One of my favorite things to do is literally just relaxing in the park taking in the lush peaceful atmosphere.

By then, will there still be walls surrounding you wherever you go? Have any lush areas and water features been removed? I can go to the other parks for concrete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom