Peter Pan Queue

WDWLover#1

I can't speak for the condition it's in because I haven't visited DLP since the mid 90's when it was brand spanking new, but the rides are vastly different. DLP's is very similar to Disneyland, and both are superior to WDW's.

DLP starts out in a very similar manner to WDW's with the nursery and overhead of London (I would perhaps give WDW's a little credit for its London scene for feeling more 3-dimensional here but that's where WDW's advantages begin and end). It changes drastically as soon as you get to the flight over Neverland island scene. Here you get an entire room dedicated to just flying around a lovely island sculpture of neverland, traveling around the perimeter. Not to mention the neat looking and well lit star field surrounding it (I'm assuming it's fiber optics or something). Afterwards you get a really nice starry tunnel acting as a transition and from there on the scenes play out quite differently. The set pieces are still based on the same characters and scenes from the movie, but each scene is larger and more detailed than WDW's with better looking and better moving figures. They're better separated into specific scenes as well. I realize that for WDW's they were trying to be creative and make it seem like a gradual transition as if you were coming in for a landing from far above (which is why the figures are small and there's a kind of forced perspective at work), but the result is IMHO a bit awkward and everything feels like a cramped mishmash (seeing a forced perspective scene at the angles you do also completely ruins the desired effect). I'll take the versions at Disneyland/DLP with their more segmented scenes and transitions. The size of sets and characters does increase once you get to the skull rock scene, but the scenes are still far behind in detail and technology compared to the ones at DL/DLP.

I'll also mention that there are numerous newer fiber optic effects that are missing at WDW's but present at DLP. An example of WDW's outdated tech. The Mermaid Lagoon scene is one such example. Disneyland Paris has an advantage over even Disneyland in this regard, the part where Tinkerbell sprinkles the pirate ship with pixie dust is covered with a large curtain of fiber optic lighting (I wonder if the upcoming refurb for DL's 60th will finally add in the fiber optic effects, or perhaps digital mapping or something).

Along with that, the soundtrack at WDW's is a singular slow instrumental loop of the "You Can Fly" song. It's dreamy and not unpleasant, but it can't compare to the diverse and better paced/choreographed soundtrack used for Disneyland/DLP's. There's an actual buildup to the "You Can Fly" song as you first take flight just like the movie, and the song changes dramatically throughout the ride (they also mix in "Pirates Life is a Wonderful Life" for more diversity). The pace of the song used at DL/DLP in the beginning captures the thrill of flying far better than the slow and dreamlike feel of WDW's. WDW's dreamy version of the song is better suited for either the queue or nursery. Though i'd be in favor of mixing in my favorite song in the movie for a new queue, Second Star to the Right.

Here's the soundtrack used for the Disneyland and DLP version-

WDW's soundtrack is largely composed of a loop of the first 25 seconds with minor variations in the percussion and instruments depending on the scene (the tempo of the music doesn't really change at all). Past that point you can hear where the music becomes far more diverse and better paced to the events of the ride than WDW.

Also, while not necessarily an advantage, WDW's version uses a somewhat different type of ride system. It continually loads very much like an omnimover. DL/DLP stops whenever it loads or unloads more like a traditional dark ride. I'm unsure whether time has changed this, DLP's used to feel faster and a bit more thrilling, as if it were being allowed to run at variable speeds throughout the ride. Given that it wasn't a continuous loader, I would imagine there's some truth to this and i'd give it another advantage there. While I don't know if changing WDW's ride system to match the ones from DL/DLP would help capacity any, I would imagine altering the vehicles to support DLP's two-row seating WOULD help things considerably.

Being at DLP last year I can confirm that what you're saying is true. DLP ride system, and the ride itself, is fantastic and is what I remember as a kid. Because it took about seven years before I ever stepped in a disney park again, I remember in 2012 at wdw being a bit dissapointed with PPF. It just was a bit jerky and didn't feel like I thought it did. But then going to DLP a year later and riding that one I saw that was the version that I remembered with the longer stretch over London(which is weird and quite cool seeing my home city like that) and the finale scene with the fiber optic ship. It was so (sorry for the cliche term but it's true) magical. So I hope improvements are made in wdw.

WDWLover#1

The only thing I noticed that was different about Disneyland Paris' version is the queue: most noticeably the fact that there was graffiti all over it.
There was none when I went and is not currently present in the DLP fan community so it might've been an isolated incident. However DLP maintenance isn't as great as the american parks.

Mike S

That's what multiple CM's working the ride told me. I talked with them for about 15 minutes about it
Multiple CM's (one of which I personally know) also have my brother believing Disney is simply focusing on Shanghai right now and all the focus will soon shift to WDW and they also say Cars Land is coming :rolleyes: My point being, don't always trust CM's. We'll just wait and see.

Last edited:

Rob562

So will the ride close for any of the queue project? I'd imagine it would have too.

Theoretically they could block off the old walkway past Columbia Harbor House and set up a temporary queue in that space while the entire current Pan queue is closed for work. The walkway past the new bathrooms would handle all the foot traffic. Perhaps such a walkway closure could be roped into the upcoming refurb closure of the Yankee Trader shop, too...

-Rob

Pixie VaVoom

...World Showcase is nowhere near as optimistic as Small World. Plus, EPCOT needs something new in general. I wouldn't mind IASW coming since little kids have little to do in that area of the park anyways (Gran Fiesta Tour, Maelstrom and the Norway play area are about it - none of the CircleVision films scream kid-friendly beyond not being offensive. IASW is character-free and fits the message of World Showcase perfectly. Why get rid of what's become a marquee ride completely?

I would have to agree with you. I think it would give quite a nice summation to the whole "world showcase" theme !!

Bocabear

I remember hearing something a while back about them not being able to do anything with the ride system or they would have to upgrade the whole thing to current ADA standards which would require a massive rebuild with belts and harnesses and redundant safety systems, huge emergency exit platforms etc that the ride would lose all of it's charm and be more like taking a ride in a cage... or so I was told at the time...

mikeh

I remember hearing something a while back about them not being able to do anything with the ride system or they would have to upgrade the whole thing to current ADA standards which would require a massive rebuild with belts and harnesses and redundant safety systems, huge emergency exit platforms etc that the ride would lose all of it's charm and be more like taking a ride in a cage... or so I was told at the time...

Knowing the ride and ADA, I believe this is true

Pixie VaVoom

I've long said that Peter Pan's Flight is the most overrated attraction in WDW. I would expect that any refurbishment to it would result in Mine Train type figures which would be a huge upgrade. The best thing the attraction has going for it is the ride system. Keep that (or something in place) and upgrade the show scenes.

As for Fantasyland in general, I actually think it's a small world is a bad fit for Fantasyland. It's separated in California from their 1984 redo and is used as a transition attraction to Toontown. In Florida it's across from a classic (albeit an overrated one as stated above). Personally, I think that Fantasyland should only be for characaters from Disney animation. They have 70+ years of stories to fill out the land, and more or less any of the European fairytales fit in thematically.

Just like people complain that character based attractions don't belong in Epcot, I think the opposite is true in Fantasyland.

As the former mayor of Boston would say, "Give me the keys and I'll get the job done." I'd move it's a small world to the Odyssey area, I'd level the building expanding that area for Tangled, Frozen, and probably a larger Princess Meet and Greet area. This would open the prime real estate of Fairytale Hall to return to a dark ride, like it should be.

I don't know why, but my darling husband (age 65) just LOVES the Peter Pan Ride. I had to Fastpass it on our January trip. His only trip to Orlando. He still talks about it. I think it was the first ride that he rode with his tiny diabetic daughter, when she was 5. I mean I think it is cute, and all, but give me the Big Thunder - anyday !!

Pixie VaVoom

Sleeping Beauty or Mary Poppins! Philharmagic and the old bathrooms could be used to expand PPF. Move it to Town Square. The tents and signage for Storybook Circus could be removed for a show. Use part of the Speedway for an Alice dark ride... the other half as a Tomorrowland expansion entrance with Sugar Rush RSR-style attraction, Tron show, upgraded Flying Saucers and a new time travel E ticket. There's room behind the Speedway. Tomorrowland gets a redo in general. Adventureland gets Indy and Fire Mountain. Frontierland gets Western River Expedition and Geyser Mountain. Liberty Square gets Sleepy Hollow. MK is pretty much set after that!

Can we get back something like "alien encounter"???? PLEASE ?????

flyerjab

I was on the ride yesterday and those walls outside did finally pop up. That ride really needs it. The people were lined out into the open area beyond the queu. I can't believe how that ride consistently draws in people. Isn't that the original incarnation of the ride in WDW?

RSoxNo1

Peter Pan is a ride that deserves a major rebuild. The Imagineers could leave its storyline intact - the original Imagineers nailed it perfectly. But the use of new tech and new AAs, plus an expansion of the ride track, could change this little dark ride into something extraordinary.

On the other hand, TDO's idea of a rebuild would probably mean it'd rip out everything and replace it with screens.

Forget I said anything...
Using existing buildings, there's not a whole lot of room to expand the ride track unless they take out Columbia Harbor House or PhilharMagic.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I've never been able to go on the ride because the wait was to long, but I hope the update will be good!

Beeline for the queue when the nightly fireworks are going off. I waited about three minutes doing this. :) You miss the fireworks, but... if you wanna ride without waiting an hour, it's the best time.

Using existing buildings, there's not a whole lot of room to expand the ride track unless they take out Columbia Harbor House or PhilharMagic.

But could they at least upgrade the ride vehicles to the double row ones?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom