November '71 Found Footage

Walt Disney1955

It's kind of like the USA is becoming germaphobic as a whole. "Drink from a water fountain? NEVER!" "Twist the knobs on a faucet?? NEVER!" Plus the anti-bacterial gel that is applied before eating instead of just going to the restroom to wash your hands, etc.

I remember the water fountains everywhere and how great it was when you found a chilled fountain. That was refreshing. Not any longer. Everything's in bottles.

Right, and I mean that goes for everything. Baseball stadiums, hockey arenas, movie theatres, parks, etc. People wonder how we survived when we weren't carrying a bottle of water with us..........well, there were always plenty of water fountains.

bjlc57

I find it amazing just how animated the Jungle cruise was.. and I do take umbrage with what they did not show on that ride..

NonnaT

Love the bell bottoms, the Ladies in pant suits and skirts with shoes, not sneakers, and the Gentlemen in slacks, tucked in shirts, and belts.
I remember that tube tops were in style for teens and young women and were banned as being "too risqué".
There was no outside food allowed, unless you brought an MDs note that you were a diabetic.
We got dressed "up" to go, wearing our very best "casual resort" wear. My husband and I went with my parents and had a wonderful time...
The only time we saw a crowd was at "rope drop" (not sure it was called that then) waiting for the gates to open. Once in the park, I don't remember any long waits or crazy crowds.
Sasparilla (sp?) at Diamond Horseshoe and lunch at LTT.
Nostalgia... How it colors our memories, and how I wish I could have that one day back with my parents again.
Thanks so much for sharing @PhotoDave219

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'll add I only saw 10 strollers. It was nice to see kids walking with their parents holding hands in most cases.

I was fortunate to attend WDW the year it opened and I was small. You must keep into perspective that guests with small children, didn't really know what they were walking into long before the internet and Disney Guide Books. We stopped for the day on the way down to Ft. Lauderdale. At the time this was filmed the MK was just in its launch phase and during the school year. It was a one day park. No way could my toddlers/preschoolers have walked our full 2 week vacations when they were young. A day in a park that wasn't fully developed yet I could understand the walking.

OliveMcFly

Maybe I've overlooked something but do we have a section in the forums for classic Disney? Not just a thread but a section all it's own about anything Disney history. I think I'd spend most of my time on this topic.

blueboxdoctor

Love the bell bottoms, the Ladies in pant suits and skirts with shoes, not sneakers, and the Gentlemen in slacks, tucked in shirts, and belts.
I remember that tube tops were in style for teens and young women and were banned as being "too risqué".
There was no outside food allowed, unless you brought an MDs note that you were a diabetic.
@PhotoDave219

Is there really an issue wearing sneakers compared to shoes? I mean, I wouldn't want to wear a tucked in button up shirt at WDW, especially in the hotter months (or long pants for that matter). It is nice you can bring in outside food now. Not that I do it often, but it does help make it more affordable for some people.

blueboxdoctor

the thing with water was that there were more water fountains. For whatever reason water fountains have gone the way of the phone booth in our world. I was born in 1980, I can remember a lot more water fountains everywhere. In 1955 Walt had a choice to decide whether or not to turn off the water for the toilets or for the water fountains that day due to the plumbing. He chose the fountains. It was a big fuss on opening day. Obviously the problem got fixed but it also meant that people had to buy pop just to have a drink. This wouldn't be an issue nowadays as people would be carrying water bottles.

I mean, it is kind of disgusting. You know kids and others end up getting their mouth on the actual faucet. Though, I don't know if they have them in WDW, but there are newer fountains that drop the water down into your water bottle. I doubt they have them there because they want to sell more water, but those are pretty neat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom