November '71 Found Footage

ParentsOf4

Looks like an AARP outing.
The film is reportedly from November 1971.

One thing to keep in mind is that parents generally did not pull their kids out of school the way they do today, while many holidays were viewed as times for get-togethers with extended families, not times for vacations.

Summers were when you'd see a lot of younger children.

In general though, most older videos and photos show crowds where children appear to be ages 10 and above. You just didn't have the diaper brigade or the sea of strollers like you have today.

I have a vague recollection of Disney changing its marketing at the beginning of this century to target a younger crowd, but I'm unsure if that is just my impression or based on fact.

I certainly remember mostly adults or teenagers in the 1990s and before, but I almost never went during the summer months.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks for the look at how it once was. Another thing that stood out was how pristine the streets were. There wasnt a speck of trash seen anywhere. Oh yeah... that was when everyone respected the place and littering was a no no.
We don't see trash all over the place now, despite the rubes that go there not caring about littering.

Brad Bishop

People dressed nicer.

People were no where near as fat as they are today.

There were strollers but very few, children were encouraged to walk on their own as soon as possible.

Bottled water? No you never saw that, people didn't need 3 gallons of water a piece to go to MK. People just didn't bring in huge bags of supplies with them. Usually the camera people were the only ones carrying much, 35 MM hanging from their neck and a film/lens bag.

Don't be fooled there were big crowds at times. I went a few times over spring break and it was crowded. I remember a 2 hour wait for the jungle cruise and space mountain was like an hour and a half.

All good points. I remember when bottled water first started showing up in stores in the mid-late 1980s (and being popular - water has always been there) and how I, along with a lot of other folks, wondered, "Why are you paying for water when you can just get it out of the tap/water fountain/etc??" The general consensus at the time was that water in bottles was "better/healthier for you."

The strollers/bags is another good point. Going to the MK wasn't a hiking expedition that you wondered whether you'd make it through (thus the supplies/stroller), you just went and enjoyed the day. If the kid got tired parents would typically just toss them up on their shoulders.

One thing that is really noticeable is how foliage has grown up all around the park and really made the place look great.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the look at how it once was. Another thing that stood out was how pristine the streets were. There wasnt a speck of trash seen anywhere. Oh yeah... that was when everyone respected the place and littering was a no no.
This guy kept people straight.

giphy.gif

disneyflush

I have a vague recollection of Disney changing its marketing at the beginning of this century to target a younger crowd, but I'm unsure if that is just my impression or based on fact.

I certainly remember mostly adults or teenagers in the 1990s and before, but I almost never went during the summer months.

I think when the Disney Channel launched on T.V. in 1983 it presented the younger crowd with a completely new way to consume the brand and live with it. Young audiences found a home and a voice with 'Good Morning, Mickey', 'Mouseterpiece Theater', and 'Donald Duck Presents'. Their vacation requests probably got a lot more vocal about going to visit Mickey and pals as what consistently entertained them day in and day out changed to Disney content.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I also meant to comment that having only been to MK after the Skyway's removal, it's a bit weird seeing how very visible it once was.
I loved that ride when I was little. This is absolutely great to see. Maybe a year or so ago I saw a whole walkthrough from the mid 70's and it was great. It's always great to see 20,000 Leagues again as well. That's a ride I really liked as a kid too.

brb1006

The film is reportedly from November 1971.

One thing to keep in mind is that parents generally did not pull their kids out of school the way they do today, while many holidays were viewed as times for get-togethers with extended families, not times for vacations.

Summers were when you'd see a lot of younger children.

In general though, most older videos and photos show crowds where children appear to be ages 10 and above. You just didn't have the diaper brigade or the sea of strollers like you have today.

Speaking of Disney and Children, when did the whole obsession of "Disney Princess" at least for girls began anyway?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Speaking of Disney and Children, when did the whole obsession of "Disney Princess" at least for girls began anyway?
The Disney Princess brand of today began in the late 90s, and in fact it premiered alongside a long forgotten boys' counterpart called Disney Adventurers

brb1006

The Disney Princess brand of today began in the late 90s, and in fact it premiered alongside a long forgotten boys' counterpart called Disney Adventurers
I never heard of Disney Adventurers is that where it focuses on the Disney Princes.

brb1006

It consisted of Tarzan, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Aladdin, and Hercules
Oh yeah, now I sorta remember the brand now boy was it short-lived. Didn't Disney create a similar brand called "Disney Villains" that focused on the Disney Villains I always felt it only showed up during the Fall/Halloween seasons.

Magenta Panther

Here's a couple from 1978 that are more like I remember:

Plenty of crowds. Plenty of people dressed in average street clothes. Plenty of children.

But very few young enough to be in strollers.

WDW was a place for your 8 or 10 or 12 year-old, not your 3 or 4 or 5 year old.

And that's the way it ought to be. I always tell friends of mine who inquire about children and WDW NOT to bring along infants or toddlers or any kid below the age of 6 at least. The place is too overwhelming for them and they'll just get tired and cranky and obnoxious. Sometimes the people I tell that to look shocked, like Disney parks are supposed to be for the very young, with adults just going along for the ride. Wow. Just, wow...

s8film40

I think the lack of stroller could also be due to the type of strollers available back then. Strollers now have large amounts of storage space in them. Older strollers were simply something for the child to ride in and not very many had the large storage areas like the ones today. I think many parents are inclined to take a stroller more for the cart to push their stuff around than for it's intended purpose.

Also, one thing I find interesting and something I really never thought about is it's kind of amazing that they just got this park built and open and then it was time to decorate for Christmas. They probably only had a little over a month of the undecorated park.

Tom Morrow

I actually think the park looks way better now. For one thing, where you mostly see just fields of regular grass and a few trees in the video, today they are filled with lush, detailed landscaping. I don't feel like there are less trees at all.

Yeah, but the real world was a different story. People littered and polluted way more in the 70's than now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And that's the way it ought to be. I always tell friends of mine who inquire about children and WDW NOT to bring along infants or toddlers or any kid below the age of 6 at least. The place is too overwhelming for them and they'll just get tired and cranky and obnoxious. Sometimes the people I tell that to look shocked, like Disney parks are supposed to be for the very young, with adults just going along for the ride. Wow. Just, wow...
For you maybe.

Meanwhile, many others have a different opinion.

Kids under 6 is not a problem. Parents pushing kids under 6 like they were navy Seals on a training opp are.

My youngest made more that a dozen trips to WDW before she cracked the ripe old age of 1 and we never had a problem because we took things at her pace.

Brad Bishop

I went to WDW in 1990 (I had been many times before but it was sort of a cut-off date), then to DL in 1996 and again in 1997.. I didn't go back until 2007 to WDW and seeing the little girls dressed up as princesses was just so bizarre to me. When I was a kid and we went in the 1970s and 1980s it was shorts and shirt. No one dressed up. When I saw the little girls dressed up as princesses (a whole bunch of them, all over the place) I thought about how miserable I'd be if I were to dress up as a kid. I remember asking my sister about it and she said that, yeah, it seemed like it'd be hot and itchy to wear that stuff all day.

Apparently the little girls are into it. I don't fault them or their parents for it. They're having a good time. It just struck me as really strange to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom