November '71 Found Footage

Seabasealpha1

I've actually speculated pretty seriously about purchasing a new/used Super 8 camera and running around WDW taking video of my family...the biggest issues I foresee are finding a camera in good working order and the price of film and processing...seems like its getting harder to find somewhere to get it processed...

Cool post! I've seen a lot of these films they've restored...seems like such a simpler and richer time...

Cool post! I've seen a lot of these films they've restored...seems like such a simpler and richer time...

I think everyone is revising the history of the 1970’s. It was not a simpler time. In fact, it was probably equal to the issues of today. Does anyone remember any of the following: the 1973 Oil crisis (unable to get gas, odd/even days), ongoing Vietnam war (Kent State shootings), Munich Massacre at the 1972 Olympics, skyjack Sunday, Watergate scandal, Stagflation.

The 1970s were perhaps the worst decade of most industrialized countries' economic performance since the Great Depression. The average annual inflation rate from 1900 to 1970 was approximately 2.5%. From 1970-1979, however, the average rate was 7.06%, and topped out at 13.29% in December 1979.

Seabasealpha1

I think everyone is revising the history of the 1970’s. It was not a simpler time. In fact, it was probably equal to the issues of today. Does anyone remember any of the following: the 1973 Oil crisis (unable to get gas, odd/even days), ongoing Vietnam war (Kent State shootings), Munich Massacre at the 1972 Olympics, skyjack Sunday, Watergate scandal, Stagflation.

The 1970s were perhaps the worst decade of most industrialized countries' economic performance since the Great Depression. The average annual inflation rate from 1900 to 1970 was approximately 2.5%. From 1970-1979, however, the average rate was 7.06%, and topped out at 13.29% in December 1979.
I guess I should have said that "simpler time" was more so directed at the theme parks...:)

Brad Bishop

I remember all of that. People were mainly just holding on / pushing through it.

The even/odd days sucked.

Also note that there was a general malaise throughout the country (Carter even has his famous malaise speech where I think he said something to the effect of, "Get used to it - this is as good as it gets." - go to YouTube to find it).

danyoung56

I've actually speculated pretty seriously about purchasing a new/used Super 8 camera and running around WDW taking video of my family...

Nope - if you were using Super 8, you would not be taking video - you'd be FILMING. Sorry for the rant, but I'm a video professional, and it's been a pet peeve of mine when people use these words interchangeably. No one who uses a cell phone camera to record their vacations has ever FILMED anyone. They aren't even TAPING them. They're RECORDING them, or SHOOTING them.

I know I can't expect everyone to use the right terminology all the time. But these terms are used so often so incorrectly that it makes me crazy! And don't get me started on weather or traffic reporters who say things like "Pan the camera in to get a better look". PAN is LEFT or RIGHT. ZOOM is in or out. TILT is up or down. But I digress . . . . .

Seabasealpha1

Nope - if you were using Super 8, you would not be taking video - you'd be FILMING. Sorry for the rant, but I'm a video professional, and it's been a pet peeve of mine when people use these words interchangeably. No one who uses a cell phone camera to record their vacations has ever FILMED anyone. They aren't even TAPING them. They're RECORDING them, or SHOOTING them.

I know I can't expect everyone to use the right terminology all the time. But these terms are used so often so incorrectly that it makes me crazy! And don't get me started on weather or traffic reporters who say things like "Pan the camera in to get a better look". PAN is LEFT or RIGHT. ZOOM is in or out. TILT is up or down. But I digress . . . . .

I guess it depends on what you're taught too...I took a lot of "Video" in college. I have a degree in digital media production with a specialization in audio. In audio we don't differentiate between digital and tape or vinyl...audio is audio... The same state of mind was used in my video classes as well...no differentiation based upon what type of media you were using...

Sorry for the party foul... ;)

danyoung56

I guess it depends on what you're taught too...I took a lot of "Video" in college. I have a degree in digital media production with a specialization in audio. In audio we don't differentiate between digital and tape or vinyl...audio is audio... The same state of mind was used in my video classes as well...no differentiation based upon what type of media you were using...

I agree with most of what you said. But I think a lot of lay-people use the terminology wrong. It doesn't really matter to most people, but it really bothers me to hear people talking about filming their vacation when there was no film involved. As far as audio, you don't go out and "tape" something with your i-phone - you "record" it. But people still say "tape", which in my world is incorrect.

Seabasealpha1

I agree with most of what you said. But I think a lot of lay-people use the terminology wrong. It doesn't really matter to most people, but it really bothers me to hear people talking about filming their vacation when there was no film involved. As far as audio, you don't go out and "tape" something with your i-phone - you "record" it. But people still say "tape", which in my world is incorrect.

Fair enough Sir! Fair enough! As a plus I guess I've learned something! I'll keep it in mind. :)

ParentsOf4

And that's what made Walt Disney World so special in the 1970s.

It offered top quality at reasonable prices when everything else was falling apart.

s8film40

I've actually speculated pretty seriously about purchasing a new/used Super 8 camera and running around WDW taking video of my family...the biggest issues I foresee are finding a camera in good working order and the price of film and processing...seems like its getting harder to find somewhere to get it processed...

Actually Kodak just recently announced a new Super 8 camera. They also offer several film stocks that were never available in the past. Instead of the old reversal film they offer their standard motion picture negative stocks. They also created a program where the price of the film includes processing and digital scanning. You send it in they process it, send it back and give you a link to download the HD video from the scan.

Fox&Hound

For you maybe.

Meanwhile, many others have a different opinion.

Kids under 6 is not a problem. Parents pushing kids under 6 like they were navy Seals on a training opp are.

My youngest made more that a dozen trips to WDW before she cracked the ripe old age of 1 and we never had a problem because we took things at her pace.

I could not have said it better myself. Families with small kids def belong at the parks! But, parents have to operate on their schedules. Mid day is a great time to go back to the hotel and take a a nap or go to the pool. It's the screaming toddler at Brown Derby at 10:00pm that ruins it for all. And in that case I blame the parents, not the kid.

brb1006

I could not have said it better myself. Families with small kids def belong at the parks! But, parents have to operate on their schedules. Mid day is a great time to go back to the hotel and take a a nap or go to the pool. It's the screaming toddler at Brown Derby at 10:00pm that ruins it for all. And in that case I blame the parents, not the kid.
I remember hearing a screaming toddler outside while I was sitting in the theater for the Walt film they showed at One Man's Dream. I kept waiting until the exit door finally shut so I can hear the film without it ruining the atmosphere.

Walt Disney1955

Bottled water? No you never saw that, people didn't need 3 gallons of water a piece to go to MK. People just didn't bring in huge bags of supplies with them. Usually the camera people were the only ones carrying much, 35 MM hanging from their neck and a film/lens bag.

the thing with water was that there were more water fountains. For whatever reason water fountains have gone the way of the phone booth in our world. I was born in 1980, I can remember a lot more water fountains everywhere. In 1955 Walt had a choice to decide whether or not to turn off the water for the toilets or for the water fountains that day due to the plumbing. He chose the fountains. It was a big fuss on opening day. Obviously the problem got fixed but it also meant that people had to buy pop just to have a drink. This wouldn't be an issue nowadays as people would be carrying water bottles.

Brad Bishop

the thing with water was that there were more water fountains. For whatever reason water fountains have gone the way of the phone booth in our world. I was born in 1980, I can remember a lot more water fountains everywhere. In 1955 Walt had a choice to decide whether or not to turn off the water for the toilets or for the water fountains that day due to the plumbing. He chose the fountains. It was a big fuss on opening day. Obviously the problem got fixed but it also meant that people had to buy pop just to have a drink. This wouldn't be an issue nowadays as people would be carrying water bottles.

It's kind of like the USA is becoming germaphobic as a whole. "Drink from a water fountain? NEVER!" "Twist the knobs on a faucet?? NEVER!" Plus the anti-bacterial gel that is applied before eating instead of just going to the restroom to wash your hands, etc.

I remember the water fountains everywhere and how great it was when you found a chilled fountain. That was refreshing. Not any longer. Everything's in bottles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom