November '71 Found Footage

blueboxdoctor

I know people are saying people dressed better then, but really, I don't see where the clothing is any better. I don't want to be wearing button up shirts unless they are tacky/vacation Hawaiian shirts (even then I'm not buttoning them up).

Though, it is interesting seeing how little there was to do. Surprisingly, I have seen crowds that low in recent years (one trip, I think it may have been in early January, there were several days where it was eerily empty feeling, but it made going on rides really quick and fun). I do prefer the original entrance to Tomorrowland shown in this video.

But really, I am glad it continued to grow. There are so many things about the park now that I like. But I also like how they respect the original rides and keep them refurbished and running. It wouldn't be the same without the Jungle Cruise or Pirates (still wish they kept Snow White, it was kind of corny and old but had a certain amount of charm to it).

Would be cool to be able to go back in time to see what people said about MK when they were walking around. I don't know, was the Liberty Tree Tavern open then? Would be cool to go back in time to eat at one of my top spots there.

Magenta Panther

For you maybe.

Meanwhile, many others have a different opinion.

Kids under 6 is not a problem. Parents pushing kids under 6 like they were navy Seals on a training opp are.

My youngest made more that a dozen trips to WDW before she cracked the ripe old age of 1 and we never had a problem because we took things at her pace.

Ah, if there were only more parents like you....

I know people are saying people dressed better then, but really, I don't see where the clothing is any better. I don't want to be wearing button up shirts unless they are tacky/vacation Hawaiian shirts (even then I'm not buttoning them up).

Though, it is interesting seeing how little there was to do. Surprisingly, I have seen crowds that low in recent years (one trip, I think it may have been in early January, there were several days where it was eerily empty feeling, but it made going on rides really quick and fun). I do prefer the original entrance to Tomorrowland shown in this video.

But really, I am glad it continued to grow. There are so many things about the park now that I like. But I also like how they respect the original rides and keep them refurbished and running. It wouldn't be the same without the Jungle Cruise or Pirates (still wish they kept Snow White, it was kind of corny and old but had a certain amount of charm to it).

Would be cool to be able to go back in time to see what people said about MK when they were walking around. I don't know, was the Liberty Tree Tavern open then? Would be cool to go back in time to eat at one of my top spots there.

Yes, unfortunately, the Liberty Tree Tavern opened on October 1, 1971

Raineman

I love how the Adventureland "hub" looked so much better as a wide open space before the ugly Aladdin carnival ride moved in, and the scene on Jungle Cruise with the rhino looked so much better without all of the foliage at the top of the hill.

matt9112

So the good folks at RetroDisneyWorld found and cleaned up home movies from November 1971.

Some Notes from myself.....

Look at all those trees! Look at how empty and comfortable the place looks!

The Main Street Philharmonic's costumes have improved tho there's something appealing about the Sgt. Pepper's look.

Never realized the original camera center is where the confectionary currently is.

2KLUTS never looked so good. You can completely walk thru Adventureland (and not get spit on by a camel)

The old Tour Guide/Guest Relations Plaid! (at 4:30)

the shed at 0:23 at the parade route doors isnt that not gone now? isnt that just a gate to back stage?

Brad Bishop

I think that shed is still there (just checked Google Earth). It's the horse barn, if I remember correctly. The gate you're thinking of for the parade route is just to the left of it. With that particular angle it just looks like the fire station and barn are connected.

GeneralZod

I get flamed anytime I say that small children shouldn't be in WDW. I don't think my kids remember much of anything under about 6 or 7 years old.
Definitely not worth flaming, but realize there are some people who actually raise their children (and don't just let them run rampant). Sure, we used a stroller for the first three years, but by four we left the stroller behind and had him walking hand-in-hand. Well...walking and riding on my shoulders. ...ok ok...riding on my shoulders and walking. Naps after lunch and hit the parks again refreshed.

My son had his first birthday at WDW and we have gone every year since. While he doesn't remember those first few trips...I do. His absolute amazement of It's a Small World, to his inevitable feigned irreverence to it. That first time he mustered up the courage to ride Splash Mountain, building up his confidence while in line, and the unrestrained excitement immediately following.

I wouldn't trade any of that for the world.

GeneralZod

I went there as a kid in the early 70's and a few things do stand out.

People dressed nicer.

People were no where near as fat as they are today.

There were strollers but very few, children were encouraged to walk on their own as soon as possible.

Bottled water? No you never saw that, people didn't need 3 gallons of water a piece to go to MK. People just didn't bring in huge bags of supplies with them. Usually the camera people were the only ones carrying much, 35 MM hanging from their neck and a film/lens bag.

Don't be fooled there were big crowds at times. I went a few times over spring break and it was crowded. I remember a 2 hour wait for the jungle cruise and space mountain was like an hour and a half.
This is also what I noticed more than anything. The societal implications are frightening. I'll admit, I prefer the comfort of a nice pair of khaki shorts over a suit and tie; however, I long for the days when people actually respected themselves and others.

BrerJon

It all looks so beautiful, and so relaxed, I want to go there!

Many people complain about people who complain about today's MK and say it's never been better, but these videos show the harsh reality of how spacious, calm and joyous the park used to be compared to today's overcrowded Princess Pushy toddler-fest.

BackOTheLine

The place is too overwhelming for them and they'll just get tired and cranky and obnoxious. Sometimes the people I tell that to look shocked, like Disney parks are supposed to be for the very young, with adults just going along for the ride. Wow. Just, wow...

Good thing no one over the age of 6 ever gets tired, cranky or obnoxious at the parks... Or on this board. o_O

216bruce

And also without digital devices.
This is on FILM, people.
Remember 'film'...?
Exposed it to light within a camera, took it away somewhere to be developed, and a couple of days later you were finally able to see if you captured what you wanted!

Those were the days.....

:D
What...not have immediate self-gratification and ego enhancement? That's crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom