New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

montyz81

I have had the pleasure of listening to Marty speak on a number of occasions, and he always talks about something when it comes to park design - "Meet the needs of the people." At the moment, Main Street U.S.A entry and exit does not meet the needs of the people. It needs to be changed, and if done right, could be a very welcome addition.
If done not at the cost of good show. If it does that then this will be fine. If not then it does not map to hos belief for good show and the needs of the people.

Polydweller

This is a nice idea but just another example of the accordion effect. They expand the crowd just to compact them again once outside of the gates.

I will wait and see though and hope it works as intended.
It's already being used, the only new thing is the themeing an existing pathway. Why are folks having so much trouble understanding that. It's already been used and used for years. Except now, instead of looking at a staff break area, trucks, backs of shops, equipment etc that is truly backstage they are theming it to make it on stage. That's nothing but positive. And it works, it's a great way to get around the chaos on Main Street and we've used it for years, though never been forced either.

phi2134

I am sure the answer to this is an obvious "NO" for so many reasons, but couldn't Disney create a different exit and entrance to the park? Say between Tomorrow land and new Fantasyland or in Frontier land somewhere, yes so many things would be ruined, you would ruin Walt's idea of what the Magic Kingdom should be, aesthetics of the park and just overall flow of the park. But for people who don't need to be wowed by Main Street USA every time they go, it might be very useful.

NowInc

I am sure the answer to this is an obvious "NO" for so many reasons, but couldn't Disney create a different exit and entrance to the park? Say between Tomorrow land and new Fantasyland or in Frontier land somewhere, yes so many things would be ruined, you would ruin Walt's idea of what the Magic Kingdom should be, aesthetics of the park and just overall flow of the park. But for people who don't need to be wowed by Main Street USA every time they go, it might be very useful.

The parking lot and transportation are all on the other end of the parks...so essentially you'd need to walk around the perimeter of the entire park. Epcot has a back entrance/exit due to the hotel presence on that end of the property.

RandySavage

Interesting news.

they are theming it to make it on stage.

That's the big question. If only to be used occasionally and constructed in 8-10 weeks (December opening mentioned), how themed could it be? I'm guessing closer to back side of Everest "theme-ing" than adding major architectural show elements to the rears of these buildings. Hope I'm wrong.

ABQ

The parking lot and transportation are all on the other end of the parks...so essentially you'd need to walk around the perimeter of the entire park. Epcot has a back entrance/exit due to the hotel presence on that end of the property.
Logistics of carving under the train tracks or building a walkway over the berm and above the tracks would be rough as well. Current problem, at least from the last few times I've been there is, even after park closing, they don't always appear to open ever gate as an exit. Maybe this has changed under the new Mickey head gates.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Not only have they been routing people from Tomorrowland through to Main Street for YEARS (and I've done it many times!) they also set up fireworks viewing back there. Main Street was closed for HOURS and so they had a stage, DJ, lights, etc. all behind Main Street as an alternate fireworks viewing location. Here's this past New Year's Even 2012-2013:

I wonder if this will be impacted with the more permanent pathway?

I certainly hope so. Entry and exit via the bypass is one thing, but guests should not be camped out there waiting for and then viewing firework shows. That is bad show, plain and simple.

tl77

Don't expect a Disneyland Paris arcade reproduction, it is not going to be that elaborate. For Paris the arcades are an attraction in themselves and had a substantial budget.

I understand that the WDW MK bypass will be open air, and not enclosed.

It sounds like this'll be more along the lines of "themed construction walls" than actual construction then?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It sounds like this'll be more along the lines of "themed construction walls" than actual construction then?
Well DLP arcades are some of the most elaborate work that WDI has ever done. It is the finest Main Street by a long way. I'm saying that the MK will not be getting that. That doesn't mean it can't be well done and fix a very real problem with the park.

wogwog

I was thinking more along the lines of a plywood wall on the outer side and false, closed storefronts on the interior wall.
I've been back there twice to enter the utilidoors, and the last time there were some pretty large trucks and cherry pickers moving around in that parking lot area.
Disney's going to want a way to block off these off from sight, but there will still need to be ways for the shops/bakery on that side to be serviced by the trucks and other vehicles, as well as provide vehicle access through the portal to the left of the plaza ice cream parlor. Wooden walls could have hidden gates that could be opened for these purposes, then shut when the corridor is ready for guests.
Good guess. About what I here from MK friends Presently the accomplish the bypass with movable planters with tall bushes attempting (badly) to block the non themed area. This involve labor to move the bushes before and after when they need it and cast to staff the bypass. Instead of the present gang of workers a manager or two could change the door configuration befor and after. MM will save a lot of labor hours. It could not be open allthe time as it would disrupt a lot of delivry and storage areas.

gonnichi

Don't expect a Disneyland Paris arcade reproduction, it is not going to be that elaborate. For Paris the arcades are an attraction in themselves and had a substantial budget.

I understand that the WDW MK bypass will be open air, and not enclosed.

I hope it will be more then just trees, bushes, and topiaries at least?

Festivus

This.

and this.

My first thought. Fire everyone who is involved with this idea. Bypass Main Street USA... :banghead:

This is what TDO comes up with? Well let's just get the crowd to bypass MSUSA?! But we've come to expect this...convenience before show. EVERYTHING before show!

How about adopting Disneyland's crowd control techniques?! The road is for standing, the East sidewalk is for people going into the Hub, the West sidewalk is for people leaving the park. IT WORKS PEOPLE! The folks wanting to watch the fireworks are happy because they can camp out in their prime spot, and the crowds buzzing around UNDERSTAND one-way traffic. What they DON'T understand is the chaos that ensues at MK because Park Ops can't grasp crowd control!

Bypass Main Street USA.... :mad:
I was in Disneyland this past New Years Eve and experienced first hand their one-way people traffic control... I was stuck in a group of people shuffling in circles in one direction with no other options to get to my family. It took me an hour to get to where they were! I understand your concerns about show, but this is a practical solution to a people flow problem. I have been rerouted in the MK through this area after fireworks and got out quickly and easily. Yes, the area is currently unthemed and a real magic killer, but if they theme it nicely and allow for access to the stores and MSUSA, I don't see a problem. I see it as a practical solution to a very real problem from a traffic standpoint, and a real life safety standpoint. God forbid some real emergency, like a fire, reared it's ugly head during these peak traffic times, it would be ugly. I'm glad they are doing this, theming an area that serves only a utility purpose. IMHO!

Last edited by a moderator:

draybook

It's already being used, the only new thing is the themeing an existing pathway. Why are folks having so much trouble understanding that. It's already been used and used for years. Except now, instead of looking at a staff break area, trucks, backs of shops, equipment etc that is truly backstage they are theming it to make it on stage. That's nothing but positive. And it works, it's a great way to get around the chaos on Main Street and we've used it for years, though never been forced either.

I do UNDERSTAND it. I also understand that NOW it will be obvious to EVERYONE that it is accessible, as before many people weren't aware.

gonnichi

If this area really works out well for crowd control and increases spending in the shops will they maybe someday build a real arcade like in Paris. that would be amazing. Themed construction walls just don't do it for me.

BigThunderMatt

Unnecessary.

You try dealing with hordes of unruly people and gridlock traffic on Main Street during a busy night then. It's not fun. Disneyland people know the drill. At WDW there's language barriers, guests who have no idea where they're going, and a plethora of guests with an undeserved sense of entitlement who think they can go where they want, when they want, and God help you if you try to tell them otherwise.

Not sure if you're aware but Tokyo and Paris both have similar bypasses. Why is MK being shot down for doing something right for once? They need this badly, I can tell you this from first hand experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom