New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

wogwog

Unfortunately I think the rash of negative comments about everything are coming from the last decade of slipping maintenance and show quality. The removal of attractions that are never replaced,higher ticket premiums and lackluster new offerings. Constructive criticism is essential, and it is only through that criticism that things can improve... If a Main Street bypass is themed and constructed properly with decent show standards, there is nothing to complain about...but if it is done cheaply with no eye towards show quality, then you bet we should complain... but let's see what they actually mean to do before jumping the shark... The Paris arcades are phenomenal.
Functional and problem solving not pretty.

wogwog

This could be really cool, if they put enough effort into it.

MK exit after wishes was an uncontrollable mess of people before FLE and would still be so even if it wasn't built. Things like this have to be done to sustain the increasing attendance at MK.

Now once you have this massive amount of people out of the park quicker, what are you going to do about transportation?
They are currently building another whole "wing" on the
bus depot at the front of MK to supplement the boats and monorail to get departing guests around the lagoon to parking..

tl77

Well DLP arcades are some of the most elaborate work that WDI has ever done. It is the finest Main Street by a long way. I'm saying that the MK will not be getting that. That doesn't mean it can't be well done and fix a very real problem with the park.

I definitely see the need for the bypass, especially at the holiday season, I'm just trying to get a sense of what it'll consist of, because the only other "shortcut" path they have is Tomorrowland to Circusland which is decorated with the simple Alice and Wonderland, 2D, flats, and they really aren't that different than the Mine Train construction walls with the images of the Dwarfs.

I'm guessing if it's "Too pretty" then they'll have the problem of people standing around the new walk-way to look at all the pretty new stuff, which would defeat the purpose of building it in the first place

Chezman1399

whatever dude. Been there enough times. Had an AP enough years. Lived and breathed it. Had conversations with Park Ops Managers about it. Gotten "yelled at" by CMs for trying to stake out a spot for Wishes in the center of Main Street on the Bridge heading into the hub on more than one occasion. What you're saying happens is absolutely not what happens.

Cool Story Bro. I've stood there and told people they need to move over to the sidewalk on the other side of the street because this one is only going one way. I've stood in a line between people trying to get to the lands and get out of the park. I've worked one way plenty of times before. I've taped off walk ways where those walk ways are the only places people are suppose to cross the street. By the way it all starts right off the bridge you are talking about during fireworks.

Also, if you're talking about staking out a spot BEFORE Wishes, it's still an open walkway, nothing is happening yet and it is also the main entrance way from the lands to Main Street. I'm talking about when everyone is trying to leave the park for the night DURING and AFTER the fireworks on the entirety of Main Street, you seem to be talking about pre fireworks in only a minor area of Main Street where all the lands are entering on to it.

I've always staked out spots on that bridge and have never been told to move. All you need to do is the common sense thing and stand off on the side so people can exit or let people by because it's a walkway, and when the one minute announcement comes on go stand where you want, people do it all the time either standing on the side of the bridge or sitting on the curb.

wogwog

I definitely see the need for the bypass, especially at the holiday season, I'm just trying to get a sense of what it'll consist of, because the only other "shortcut" path they have is Tomorrowland to Circusland which is decorated with the simple Alice and Wonderland, 2D, flats, and they really aren't that different than the Mine Train construction walls with the images of the Dwarfs.

I'm guessing if it's "Too pretty" then they'll have the problem of people standing around the new walk-way to look at all the pretty new stuff, which would defeat the purpose of building it in the first place
"Keep it moving folks, nothing to see here.", Barney Fife.

peachykeen

It may not be as themed as DLP or New Fantasyland, but it will be much better than the current situation, I can assure you all of that. It also will not be the last major project happening soon to address crowd flow issues.

devoy1701

Cool Story Bro. I've stood there and told people they need to move over to the sidewalk on the other side of the street because this one is only going one way. I've stood in a line between people trying to get to the lands and get out of the park. I've worked one way plenty of times before. I've taped off walk ways where those walk ways are the only places people are suppose to cross the street. By the way it all starts right off the bridge you are talking about during fireworks.

Also, if you're talking about staking out a spot BEFORE Wishes, it's still an open walkway, nothing is happening yet and it is also the main entrance way from the lands to Main Street. I'm talking about when everyone is trying to leave the park for the night DURING and AFTER the fireworks on the entirety of Main Street, you seem to be talking about pre fireworks in only a minor area of Main Street where all the lands are entering on to it.

I've always staked out spots on that bridge and have never been told to move. All you need to do is the common sense thing and stand off on the side so people can exit or let people by because it's a walkway, and when the one minute announcement comes on go stand where you want, people do it all the time either standing on the side of the bridge or sitting on the curb.

and that's inefficient, and the prime example of MK Park Ops ineptitude when it comes to managing the crowds. People don't want to wait until 1 minute before the fireworks to get their front and center spot. They want to be able to claim it, 20...30...60 minutes before the show. It makes perfect sense for them to want to do that, so it makes perfect sense to start traffic flowing just on the sidewalks prior to the fireworks AND CONTINUE to control that flow of traffic during and after the fireworks. Keep
the sidewalks flowing, let the lollygaggers and show watchers have the street. It should start right after the curb from Casey's and the Ice Cream shop.

That's how it's done at Disneyland and they've been doing it a lot longer.

Grabbing your firework spot a minute before the show.....ha! o_O

devoy1701

You try dealing with hordes of unruly people and gridlock traffic on Main Street during a busy night then. It's not fun. Disneyland people know the drill. At WDW there's language barriers, guests who have no idea where they're going, and a plethora of guests with an undeserved sense of entitlement who think they can go where they want, when they want, and God help you if you try to tell them otherwise.

Not sure if you're aware but Tokyo and Paris both have similar bypasses. Why is MK being shot down for doing something right for once? They need this badly, I can tell you this from first hand experience.

People understand hand motions and physical barriers. You are underestimating how many Asian visitors are at Disneyland. People of many different languages is not unique to WDW.

You are right about the entitlement piece though, but that's mostly the East Coast visitors. Crowds at Disneyland are definitely more courteous from my experience.

Mouse3268

Anyone that has been to Disneyland Paris will know that having extra paths out is a great idea! Hopefully the theming will be on a similar level. If so, this is great news!

NowInc

I do enjoy un-clever nicknames people use..makes it WAY easier to sort out those who are children in every aspect of their life :D

Chezman1399

and that's inefficient, and the prime example of MK Park Ops ineptitude when it comes to managing the crowds. People don't want to wait until 1 minute before the fireworks to get their front and center spot. They want to be able to claim it, 20...30...60 minutes before the show. It makes perfect sense for them to want to do that, so it makes perfect sense to start traffic flowing just on the sidewalks prior to the fireworks AND CONTINUE to control that flow of traffic during and after the fireworks. Keep
the sidewalks flowing, let the lollygaggers and show watchers have the street. It should start right after the curb from Casey's and the Ice Cream shop.

That's how it's done at Disneyland and they've been doing it a lot longer.

Grabbing your firework spot a minute before the show.....ha! o_O

Honestly I think we may be talking past each other as far as the one way stuff goes, but I don't see why people should be entitled to a place on the bridge for a show that happens in the air. It's not possible to set up there more than 20 minutes before it due to the parade, and there are more significantly more people trying to leave through that area then are trying to take up space in that area.

It makes no sense for people to block up the major walkway 15 minutes before fireworks because fireworks happen in the air.

tl77

"Keep it moving folks, nothing to see here.", Barney Fife.

well it "might" be something to see... it seems like it could fall anywhere between "themed construction walls" and the New York Street building facades at the Studios, but if anyone on here knows for sure they ain't sayin' nothin'

CDavid

annd once again...disney is doing something to make things easier for GUESTS (and not just using planters)..and yet somehow..people complain.

Much of this probably stems from Disney's remarkably poor track record over the past 10-15 years - doing projects "on the cheap", closing venues with no replacement, empty buildings, abandoned construction projects, and the like. We are immediately suspicious and wonder what the true motive is (ie. mouse arrest bands aren't really for guest convenience).

People have completely valid reasons and quite legitimate complaints, even if the target is sometimes misplaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom