New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can't wait to see the final product for that fountain. It was framed by a bunch of knuckle heads. (I was a concrete guy who specialized in curved work for almost 10 years so I can say that) If the pour is any thicker than 4 inches the deflection is going to make the walls wavy between the stakes.

Will the form even hold up to a 4" pour? If you do the math I don't think so.

Kman101

Well, considering we have that jungle of a mess in front of Dinosaur because people couldn't stay out of the pools of water ... however, it's not just an American thing. I've seen pictures of Tokyo Disney Sea with people sticking their feet in the Arabian coast fountain while sitting on the side ...

Little Green Men

Well, considering we have that jungle of a mess in front of Dinosaur because people couldn't stay out of the pools of water ... however, it's not just an American thing. I've seen pictures of Tokyo Disney Sea with people sticking their feet in the Arabian coast fountain while sitting on the side ...
Atleast they brought the water back instead of keeping it only a planter.

Kman101

Atleast they brought the water back instead of keeping it only a planter.

Oh, I know. That's true. I was just pointing out something that was relevant to the discussion (and also pointing out that it's not just the American parks where "going in the water" happens). I give them credit for the returning of the water. But it was an example of why, at times, we can't have nice things.

erclvrb18

This is the path my parents described when they took the back stage exit. It stated next to the Plaza restaurant which has always had a kind of a awkward look anyway. I'm wondering if this new path will connect up mid way at the ally in the middle of Main St. because aren't those buildings on the dead end ally just empty facades?

msusa_walkway2.jpg
yes they are empty facades and there is already a large door that opens to that path in the facades ...
ive used it as a cm

note2001

yes they are empty facades and there is already a large door that opens to that path in the facades ...
ive used it as a cm

The balloon selling CMs use that door quite frequently when parades are coming.
Side note: Considering all the satellite mapping done these days, maybe it's time Disney refinished the roof over the building containing Casey's corner, it's looking mighty grungy.

yensid67

My thought on the Bypass...

I haven't been following the posts and only read a few here and there, what I see is that many are OPINIONATED about what the bypass is going to look like and whether its is themed appropriately. If Disney would go all out and theme it to the DLP Arcade style bypass with store and restaurant access, that would be defeating the purpose IMO of having a bypass to get guests out quickly. If there were access to stores and restaurants, it would be another MSUSA and I don't think that is what they are going for. I think its(the bypass) is for those who don't intend on shopping on MSUSA and want to get out of the park and to their cars and get a head start on an exit, therefore I would not care how themed or unthemed the bypass is...there is one thing on my mind...getting the hell out of the park as quickly as possible! I'm not saying it wouldn't be NICE to have that area themed to much like DLP Arcade, but #1 Do we really NEED it to be themed like that just as an exit? #2 Disney COULD use the money saved from doing an elaborate theming for other projects(not like they would see it that way, but just sayin...)
In the end, as long as there is 'appropriate' theming to the bypass I would be happy with it. How would you feel if they opened up a bypass from Storybook Circus Train Station and you had to walk around to the front of the park instead!? Then how would you feel about it? It would be a nice walk...no theming...just Florida dirt, grass and some trees along the way! It could be the time for families to talk about the day, for others it could be a time to just walk and let the day soak into their memories! My point is the bypass, whether majorly themed or not, could be the ending to the show...as we start down the bypass, that would be like the closing of the curtain and walking would be the blackout and the audience getting up and leaving the theatre and talking about the show...how many people at a show really care about anything else other than talking about what they just saw!? They don't care if the lights are only at half lighting, they don't care if they snack bar is closed on their way out, the only thing they are doing in talking about what they just saw!

SnarkyMonkey

I can't imagine they are going to build a bypass without access to the shops. That doesn't make economical sense to me. But I guess time will tell...

LL2WDW

I can't imagine they are going to build a bypass without access to the shops. That doesn't make economical sense to me. But I guess time will tell...

They already have a bypass without access to the shops. They're just dressing it up a little. It's all the project was ever supposed to do: dress up a drab parking lot with new walls, lighting, landscaping, and paint.

Castle Cake Apologist

They're literally just dressing up what is already there. Shop access would entirely defeat the purpose. The point is to quickly and efficiently move people out of the park, that cannot be done if those people are constantly stopping to look at window displays and go into stores.

This is shaping up to be yet another situation where everybody is going to be mad because they were for some reason expecting something that was never going to happen. We were never getting an arcade, or anything like it. There would be no point. This is going to open as what it was always intended to be, a nicely landscaped path out of the park with some minor theming. Expecting anything more is just setting yourself up for unreasonable disappointment.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They're literally just dressing up what is already there. Shop access would entirely defeat the purpose. The point is to quickly and efficiently move people out of the park, that cannot be done if those people are constantly stopping to look at window displays and go into stores.

This is shaping up to be yet another situation where everybody is going to be mad because they were for some reason expecting something that was never going to happen. We were never getting an arcade, or anything like it. There would be no point. This is going to open as what it was always intended to be, a nicely landscaped path out of the park with some minor theming. Expecting anything more is just setting yourself up for unreasonable disappointment.

At least SOME of us are mad because if you are in the 'WRONG' place after the fireworks you are herded down the 'cattle chute' with no chance to shop or get a snack.

Most of us never expected to get an arcade like DLP. So now in addition to all the other planning those 'in the know' need to ensure that they are not on the Tomorrowland side of the hub if they want to do something after Wishes.

note2001

It's odd that with all the complaining about the time it's taking to dig up and rework the hub, I don't hear complaining about the time schedule of dressing up the pre-existing pathway. How long have they been at this for? As slow as this is progressing, I'm pretty sure it's one man doing all the work by himself.

Horizons1

It's odd that with all the complaining about the time it's taking to dig up and rework the hub, I don't hear complaining about the time schedule of dressing up the pre-existing pathway. How long have they been at this for? As slow as this is progressing, I'm pretty sure it's one man doing all the work by himself.

You're off by 1.

wogwog

Fifteen months plus and counting. The OP on the thread was Oct 13, 2013. The work started a little before the post.

SnarkyMonkey

They already have a bypass without access to the shops. They're just dressing it up a little. It's all the project was ever supposed to do: dress up a drab parking lot with new walls, lighting, landscaping, and paint.

Oh sorry. I misunderstood. I thought this was going to be open all the time. I didn't realize they would open and close it as needed like they currently do. So, if they are just using it as a crowd overflow exit as they have been then I can see them not doing much with it. It's still nice that they are theming it though.

I wasn't expecting much. When I thought it was a permanent thoroughfare, I just thought they might give you a back access to the already-existing shops on Main Street as a way to make more money. I don't think this would slow down exiting at all because people could just keep on walking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom