Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Section106

The locals AP’s and DVC people will have the word out on how to lie soon enough.

In other words, the cheaters will still be there.

Easy Buddy. I am one of those DVCers. Purchased a loaded contract at the Boardwalk in 2014. I've been 14 times to WDW. All with my 100% disabled veteran wife. She's in a wheelchair and suffers from MS due to her service to this country. Pain, anxiety, and shame haunt her while her disease robs a little more of her life every second of every sorry, endless day. I find most of the opinions in this thread to be the reprehensible ramblings of a bunch of selfish, whiny babies who know nothing of the sacrifice and pain of their other fellow Americans. So spare me. Some people go to Disney because it helps to restore a little bit of the light they have lost. Pray you never actually lose like she has.

jaklgreen

They are. You’re doing the math wrong. We have evidence that 50-75 percent of lightning lane capacity is DAS. We also know that 80-95 percent of a rides capacity on a given day is dedicated to the lightning lane. Multiply that together and you get 40-71 percent of a rides capacity is being used by DAS users.
Nah, that would mean that the majority of guests in the park have DAS, and that is simply not true. Your math is wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I’m sure I am. All those figures were based on estimates on the conservative side.
It’s been an interesting week (for me)

I knew almost nothing about DAS. Even though now apparently 2 people in my households have conditions that have been used to get it? That’s why my spidey sense went off…I would have never considered getting it.

But I knew there was abuse. I know people
Who abused it. So I’ve been researching as I followed along here.

The announcement of the change seemed funny. From the Disney side. Why would they highlight changes to a policy that would be 100% guaranteed to get criticism? They never do that unless it’s serious. And they sure as hell don’t need bad parks PR with issues going on.
So why?

Well it appears it’s a huge problem…and my take is they feel they are being robbed by it.
Fascinating

jaklgreen

I have no inside information... but I feel like something like this would accommodate a lot of DAS use for ROTR (I know not every line can do this). Also thank you Martin and I hope you don't mind me using this snip from your video. Place a cast member at each one of these spots with a return to line pass (either digital or physical). Allow people to leave at that point without any proof required. The person can be gone for however long they want but can only return to the same spot in which they left. (LL would be used to get back to the blue merge point, but a second ILL tap will prevent people from going further). It won't work for everyone, but I feel like it would work for a lot of people (most can go 30 minutes between brakes I think).
View attachment 778937
Except waiting until you get a certain spot to be able to leave the line is not really going to work for those with bathroom issues. It is not a choice, but a NEED to have to go and go very soon. When we got to go, we got to go and can not wait another 10 minutes to get to the spot that you can leave.

Trauma

Easy Buddy. I am one of those DVCers. Purchased a loaded contract at the Boardwalk in 2014. I've been 14 times to WDW. All with my 100% disabled veteran wife. She's in a wheelchair and suffers from MS due to her service to this country. Pain, anxiety, and shame haunt her while her disease robs a little more of her life every second of every sorry, endless day. I find most of the opinions in this thread to be the reprehensible ramblings of a bunch of selfish, whiny babies who know nothing of the sacrifice and pain of their other fellow Americans. So spare me. Some people go to Disney because it helps to restore a little bit of the light they have lost. Pray you never actually lose like she has.
I don’t know what this story is all about, but I’m a DVC member also. I know what people talk about.

Just because your one the good ones doesn’t mean anything.

jaklgreen

Yes but again they still have to wait the same wait time so it is like there are invisible people in the standby line. So just pretend the DAS users are standing in front of you the whole time.
Yes, this explains it perfectly. Everyone is so hung up about how all of the DAS users are "taking up space", well no crap. They are in the park also, no different than anyone else. DAS people waited for the ride, just like everyone else. They are not stealing anyone's space. It is getting annoying, the people that are acting as if those who use DAS are getting some kind of free ride. They paid their admission, they waited for their turn on the ride, and they shouldn't be treated like some kind of usurper. Frankly, some of these posts about those with disabilities are disgusting. Every single person would love to not have their medical issues.

No, it’s not. 8 percent of people in the Parks are using 40 to 71 percent of the ride capacity. That’s why the system is broken.
I feel like ppl aren't able to see the relationship the 8% having a pass has to the ride capacity because 8% sounds small(and it is, in a way, but that 8% doesn't account for anything but the single DAS user, not their party with them. Which was up to 6 and sometimrs even more ppl in practice)
And 40-70% sounds huge.
I'm not sure how to explain it any better

hopemax

No, it’s not. 8 percent of people in the Parks are using 40 to 71 percent of the ride capacity. That’s why the system is broken.
And if people have a hard time believing it, they can work at it from the other way.

If a park has 35,000 daily guests, 8% equates to 2,800 people. Assuming they aren't alone and using a typical average party size of 3, you get 8,400 people as an estimate of people benefiting from a DAS pass. You have attractions like Flight of Passage, Frozen, Rise of the Resistance that are like 12,000-15,000 per day capacity. And 8,400 people would represent 56-70% of that capacity. 40,000 guests > 9600 people > 64-80%.

Over at the MK, you start with a much higher daily attendance 55,000. 4400 passes, 13,200 people. On one hand, rides like Haunted Mansion which can handle 30,000+ people per day (44%) and rides like Peter Pan which are closer to the 12,000 level (TILT! 13,200 > 12,000).

And if people have a hard time believing it, they can work at it from the other way.

If a park has 35,000 daily guests, 8% equates to 2,800 people. Assuming they aren't alone and using a typical average party size of 3, you get 8,400 people as an estimate of people benefiting from a DAS pass. You have attractions like Flight of Passage, Frozen, Rise of the Resistance that are like 12,000-15,000 per day capacity. And 8,400 people would represent 56-70% of that capacity. 40,000 guests > 9600 people > 64-80%.

Over at the MK, you start with a much higher daily attendance 55,000. 4400 passes, 13,200 people. On one hand, rides like Haunted Mansion which can handle 30,000+ people per day (44%) and rides like Peter Pan which are closer to the 12,000 level (TILT! 13,200 > 12,000).
Great breakdown. Poor Peter Pan and Navi River Journey. Those rides probably shouldn't even have a LL.

And these numbers don't even account for how many G+ were sold.

This does illustrate just how fragile the capacity situation truly is.

jaklgreen

How does that even make sense to you? You all are acting as if DAS people poof into existence in the LL. They would have been in the standby line anyway, adding to the capacity. So what you are really complaining about is that Disney lets too many people into the parks.

Fido Chuckwagon

How does that even make sense to you? You all are acting as if DAS people poof into existence in the LL. They would have been in the standby line anyway, adding to the capacity. So what you are really complaining about is that Disney lets too many people into the parks.
Of course it makes sense. How many attractions per day do you think the average non-DAS user is actually doing on a given day when lines are an hour plus and Genie+ gets you 1-3 attractions if you’re using it normally? The dirty secret here is that the 8 percent of DAS users are absolutely using the lion’s share of the park capacity, which is why Disney needed to take action. I understand that individually each DAS user sees each non-DAS user as a “jerk” because all they’re doing is “adding a few minutes to the line,” but in the aggregate, they are taking up a ton of capacity because they can ride far more rides than the average guest can, even with Genie+.

It’s also certainly not uniform. I’m confident DAS users aren’t using up 71 percent of the capacity of the Nemo ride, or Figment, but they are for Frozen and Remy.

Last edited:

hopemax

Great breakdown. Poor Peter Pan and Navi River Journey. Those rides probably shouldn't even have a LL.

And these numbers don't even account for how many G+ were sold.

This does illustrate just how fragile the capacity situation truly is.
At least Peter Pan has the excuse of having been built in 1971. But Navi, Frozen, RoTR, FOP... these are 21st century attractions, which some Industrial Engineer, should have shot up a hand, and said, "This capacity is grossly insufficient for the attendance targets we want to hit by promoting the heck out them." Of course, if the rumors are true, that Disney ignored the advice about adding the third TSMM track and Soarin theater BEFORE going to FP+ than none of this is a surprise.

hopemax

Not all of them would be in the standby line. If you believe what many people, including yourself have said... if the only option available to them was the standby line... they would have to SKIP the attraction, altogether. This is the mistake that people keep making about any of the line skip options... Fastpass, LL, DAS. A good sized portion of the people taking advantage of the ability to secure "a 20 min or less" wait, are the people that opted OUT of a standby only system because the wait was too long. So they sort of do, poof into the LL. Because instead of being limited to less crowded attractions, more pool time, or bench sitting, they can ride the popular rides like everyone else.

jaklgreen

Of course it makes sense. How many attractions per day do you think the average non-DAS user is actually doing on a given day when lines are an hour plus and Genie+ gets you 1-3 attractions if you’re using it normally? The dirty secret here is that the 8 percent of DAS users are absolutely using the lion’s share of the park capacity, which is why Disney needed to take action. I understand that individually each DAS user sees each non-DAS user as a “jerk” because all they’re doing is “adding a few minutes to the line,” but in the aggregate, they are taking up a ton of capacity because they can ride far more rides than the average guest can, even with Genie+.

It’s also certainly not uniform. I’m confident DAS users aren’t using up 71 percent of the capacity of the Nemo ride, or Figment, but they are for Frozen and Remy.
I think that you are grossly overestimating how many rides DAS users go on. Sure, some of the fakers are probably going on more, but most of the legitimate users have to use that down time for their personal needs. And popular rides are popular for EVERYONE, not just those without disabilities. :rolleyes: It comes down to a person can only be physically in one place at a time. Someone having a DAS return time is the same as someone having a Genie+ return time. It means nothing to those who are in that line while others are virtually waiting for their time. It doesn't "add to capacity" because they are not physically in that line yet.

jaklgreen

Not all of them would be in the standby line. If you believe what many people, including yourself have said... if the only option available to them was the standby line... they would have to SKIP the attraction, altogether. This is the mistake that people keep making about any of the line skip options... Fastpass, LL, DAS. A good sized portion of the people taking advantage of the ability to secure "a 20 min or less" wait, are the people that opted OUT of a standby only system because the wait was too long. So they sort of do, poof into the LL. Because instead of being limited to less crowded attractions, more pool time, or bench sitting, they can ride the popular rides like everyone else.
That is a big assumption.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom