Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

But DAS isn't an alternative to Genie+. It is an alternative method of waiting for your standby time. If standby guests can queue over and over again for Small World, telling DAS they cannot would be restricting DAS guests to different services than what is available to standby.
But come on now its not realistic someone would do that and also if the issue is rerides and party size find a way to fix that. Im saying this as A DAS user

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney can’t create a system though that knowingly excludes valid and reasonable accommodation requests to someone who is legitimately disabled just to try and restrict abuse. That would open them up to numerous lawsuits.

Whether someone thinks it’s for the greater good or not, I can’t imagine Disney would be willing to take that risk.
I don’t think they have any intent to deny appropriate accommodations…
If they are really going to enable the abuse then thats a couple of UK Vloggers screwed. Go to WDW every few months and use DAS because they ‘struggle with crowds and anxiety’ yet quite happily attend crammed music events the next month
That is exactly who would need to be identified and denied

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy Pleakley

But DAS isn't an alternative to Genie+. It is an alternative method of waiting for your standby time. If standby guests can queue over and over again for Small World, telling DAS they cannot would be restricting DAS guests to different services than what is available to standby.

That's true, but maybe only to a point?

A high capacity attraction like Small World is one thing.

What about something that is popular with low capacity, like Peter Pan. The type of attraction that sells out of Genie+ spots early.

If Disney has to keep allowing repeat DAS spots, when the "Fastpass" line is already at "capacity", that could inflate standby wait times and infringe on the enjoyment of other guests.

Ayla

What about something that is popular with low capacity, like Peter Pan. The type of attraction that sells out of Genie+ spots early.

If Disney has to keep allowing repeat DAS spots, when the "Fastpass" line is already at "capacity", that could inflate standby wait times and infringe on the enjoyment of other guests.
Especially when we know the LL ratio is almost always 90 LL to 10 standby...which is freaking ridiculous.

Gomer

I think they would have to demonstrate that re-rides specifically (not just DAS in general) were causing infringement on standard guests or restrict standby for regular guests to a single ride on those attractions as well. Otherwise they would be saying someone whose disability prohibits them from waiting in the standby line is not entitled to the same services as those without DAS. Which would most definitely be discriminatory.

I'm not a lawyer, just someone who has unfortunately been exposed to the legal system on topics like this quite frequently. So not claiming to be an expert, but I think there would be far safer ways for Disney to alter the program that wouldn't be so risky to them from a legal compliance standpoint.

Gomer

Genie+ is an alternative for DAS. Doing whatever you want before waltzing into the Genie+ line is in no way equivalent to actually standing in line.
It doesn't matter. The fact that there is a paid service that offers something similar doesn't have any bearing on DAS which is being offered as accommodation to regular standby. So that is what it would be measured against. Is Disney offering reasonable accommodation for an alternative to the generic standby experience for those who are incapable of participating in that experience.

Angel Ariel

This. And just honestly - if anyone truly cares that DD rides Mad Tea Party 4x in a day, that's way more an issue on them. It typically has a short line (at least when we travel), and it's not one most adults like to re-ride anyway :p And it's keeping her out of lines for the more popular attractions.

Fido Chuckwagon

They are not using 40-70% of the ride capacity
They are. You’re doing the math wrong. We have evidence that 50-75 percent of lightning lane capacity is DAS. We also know that 80-95 percent of a rides capacity on a given day is dedicated to the lightning lane. Multiply that together and you get 40-71 percent of a rides capacity is being used by DAS users.

Last edited:

Gomer

This. And just honestly - if anyone truly cares that DD rides Mad Tea Party 4x in a day, that's way more an issue on them. It typically has a short line (at least when we travel), and it's not one most adults like to re-ride anyway :p And it's keeping her out of lines for the more popular attractions.
That's the part most aren't considering here. Re-rides are usually associated with kids who have (as Disney would put it) "Autism or similar". For the most part these people aren't riding ToT all day every day. My son's fixations are Pooh and SSE. If he rides those 4 times in one day and never goes on a thrill ride, I don't think people like him are what is really causing the backup here.

ConfettiCupcake

This aspect of DAS is I would think a big factor in both straight up abuse and overuse of the system. When DAS allows the user to earn their entry into the LL queue by way of a virtual wait when Genie+ users can no longer do so, that is a big motivator to either lie about needs to get a DAS but also use a DAS that was legitimately qualified for when other accommodations may be adequate - not ideal but adequate. This isn’t the fault of the DAS users as they’re only following the rules of the system they’re given, but it highlights a reason clamping down on who can actually use this is vital to keep it functioning as the alternative would be to cut off things like repeats which would open a whole other host of problems.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think they would have to demonstrate that re-rides specifically (not just DAS in general) were causing infringement on standard guests or restrict standby for regular guests to a single ride on those attractions as well. Otherwise they would be saying someone whose disability prohibits them from waiting in the standby line is not entitled to the same services as those without DAS. Which would most definitely be discriminatory.

I'm not a lawyer, just someone who has unfortunately been exposed to the legal system on topics like this quite frequently. So not claiming to be an expert, but I think there would be far safer ways for Disney to alter the program that wouldn't be so risky to them from a legal compliance standpoint.
You may be making assumptions about what Disney is legally required to provide in the first place. The ADA doesn't require that all people with disabilities, regardless of their nature, be given DAS simply because Disney determines it is an appropriate accommodation for some. (Sorry if I'm not understanding your comment)

My observation is that Disney is trying not only to prevent abuse, but also to deny DAS to persons with legitimate disabilities who can be accommodated short of receiving DAS. That's really the only explanation I can think of for why they chose to adopt the wording they did instead of requiring documentation.

zann285

Do the posted standby times not get increased as people pull DAS return times for an attraction? That is really the primary built-in limiter for using DAS. If you get a DAS for an E-Ticket, you can't get any other DAS passes until that one is used or released. (and I know people will complain that DAS users will spend their time doing other things, but assuming "legitimate" use, they'll be restricted to attractions with already lower wait-times).

In a weird scenario, say you've gone to the park on a "autism awareness" day where 90% of people are using DAS to do everything and attempt to get on an attraction. You could be the only person in the standby line, but still have an hour wait as they redeem the various DAS return times for everyone as their return times tick around. But would the posted time state 1 hour (also pushing back DAS return times), or would it state 5 minutes, using only their line lenght estimates (and also making DAS returns effectively instantaneous, increasing the issue more as their built-in DAS "cooldown" is nullified).

ConfettiCupcake

You may be making assumptions about what Disney is legally required to provide in the first place. The ADA doesn't require that all people with disabilities, regardless of their nature, be given DAS simply because Disney determines it is an appropriate accommodation for some. (Sorry if I'm not understanding your comment)

My observation is that Disney is trying not only to prevent abuse, but also to deny DAS to persons with legitimate disabilities who can be accommodated short of receiving DAS. That's really the only explanation I can think of for why they chose to adopt the wording they did instead of requiring documentation.

Your last paragraph is exactly what my thoughts are as well. I think choosing this route and not documentation is deliberate and points to legitimate usage being a portion of the problem being addressed as well.

Dranth

Why do people keep acting like DAS and G+ are not comparable? Yes, we know they are not the same but they are very similar and most of the time I would argue DAS is much better.

G+:
  • Select a vague, maybe accurate return time that is anywhere from now to never as a ride can no longer be available, even early in the day.
  • Can be used once per ride.
  • Can not select another for 2 hours or until you scan into the ride.
  • Can only be used on rides with G+.
  • Is paid.

DAS:
  • You are given a return time based on the current wait time minus 10-20 minutes set aside for travel but never “runs out”.
  • Can be used as many times as you like.
  • Can only have one at a time and can select another as soon as you scan into the ride.
  • Get’s two preselects if approved ahead of time.
  • Can be used on rides that don’t have G+.
  • Is free.

Those are very similar with DAS looking like the more attractive option in many ways. That is not even remotely an issue when you are talking about people who can't even visit without these accommodations but that isn't what is happening. Technically I qualify for pre change DAS and that is a problem because there is ZERO reason I should be allowed into that system.

Last edited:

Dis Dragon

Let them keep their money. Go to paid fastpasses. Three in advance with the option to buy more.

The fast pass system just worked better than G+. At least for people like me who want to know what to expect
The biggest issue with G+ is it sucks for planning, DAS is superior. Going to paid fastpasses with a designated time would be amazing.

I have no issue paying for a service that would actually accommodate scheduling without the expectation of being in the park all day to make your ride selections work.

Happyday

This is always a fascinating conversation about going to an amusement park. This is not a daily need or critical use we are discussing, but a completely voluntary recreational activity.

If one can’t wait in line, be in crowds, or handle loud noises, perhaps consider entertainment options that are more suited to what you can enjoy vs expecting a theme park operator to fundamentally redesign the entire concept of a day at an amusement park to address your specific needs?

My wife is deathly scared of heights - so she doesn’t go skiing nor require the ski resort to drive her up the slopes on a snowmobile so she can avoid the chairlift

There is a point where “demanding accommodation” crosses over to “unrealistic narcissism”.
I understand your point however with Autism and DD it is not the activity causing the issue it is a crowded, loud and long wait before the fun activity. These activities are actually exactly what many of them crave, it is a sensory input.
These individuals CANNOT control it and called ng them "unrealistic narcissism" is frankly outright rude and entitled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom