New atmosphere entertainment being tested at DinoLand U.S.A.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Whatever comes out will be better than the walk around dinosaur characters they had in 2004 - thank goodness they got rid of those atrocities.

here's the male:
297746105_5815f2f4a0.jpg

and the female:
297748154_0b568d998b.jpg

Sorry, can't give photo credit - taken from bing images
The credit for the photos goes to Philip Kippel.

And man, are those costumes awful!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Whatever comes out will be better than the walk around dinosaur characters they had in 2004 - thank goodness they got rid of those atrocities.

here's the male:
297746105_5815f2f4a0.jpg

and the female:
297748154_0b568d998b.jpg

I have to give them credit for one thing: this is the only instance I know of where there characters are supposed to be (in a tongue-in-cheek manner), people in a costume. Chester and Hester clearly hired corny, cheap looking costumed characters as a borderline lampoon of Disney's own M&Gs. I've always thought it's be hilarious to meet Simpsons chracters in cheap-looking Itchy and Scratchy costumes.
Or maybe I'm just reading too far into this.
Either way, I'd like to see them NOT use the Figmet/Maggie Simpsons/JP tritops puppet method. Let's see some innovation!
image.jpg

Last edited:

doctornick

true but dont you bring a dino back from the past at the end of the ride? these could be the dino's that roam animal kingdom!

Yeah, this. The ride already establishes that they can bring a dinosaur back from the past. Why couldn't there be a small number that the Dino Institute carefully brings back from the past to study (and entertain guests)?

FigmentJedi

true but dont you bring a dino back from the past at the end of the ride? these could be the dino's that roam animal kingdom!
True, but their story is that this scientist has raised this raptor since it hatched, suggesting that the Iguanodon experiment of the ride isn't the first time someone's brought something back, losing some of the impact of the ride and just making the Dino Institute look more incompetent.

Figment2005

Sounds fun,

-EXCEPT-

Up until now Dinoland maintained a cohesive themed reality that held that Dinosaurs are extinct. There was an institute, a dig site, and a roadside tourist trap, and in all of them dinosaurs were dead and gone, but still captured the imagination and attention of the people that lived there. The only way to see "live" dinosaurs in Dinoland is to use the time rovers to travel outside of this time/place to their time. This may not have been the most crowd-friendly approach to the material, but it also wasn't the easiest, from a design perspective, and I'm a little saddened to see their willingness to stray from it.

Mind you, I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm just saying they haven't, for what I assume were strongly-held thematic principles when conceptualizing the land.

free upload
Remember, you do bring a dino back with you on Dinosaur.

Slowjack

I have to give them credit for one thing: this is the only instance I know of where there characters are supposed to be (in a tongue-in-cheek manner), people in a costume. Chester and Hester clearly hired corny, cheap looking costumed characters as a borderline lampoon of Disney's own M&Gs. ...
Or maybe I'm just reading too far into this.
No, I think that's right, but that goes back to the problems with the Dinorama theme in general -- A) even if it's supposed to be cheap and tacky, that still means it is cheap and tacky ...and B) the theme is so subtle that most guests don't read it as a theme, but just cheapness itself. It's sort of the same problem as Paradise Pier out in DCA -- "no, it's not a weakly themed area, it's Disney's take on the weakly-themed parks of the past."

Bairstow

True, but their story is that this scientist has raised this raptor since it hatched, suggesting that the Iguanodon experiment of the ride isn't the first time someone's brought something back, losing some of the impact of the ride and just making the Dino Institute look more incompetent.

Exactly.
In the preshow, "Seeker" goes at length to explain that the idea of bringing a dinosaur back from the past is still theoretical, so having a "real" baby dinosaur meet-and-greet already wandering around in the land screws up the chronology of Dinoland.

RSoxNo1

Sounds fun,

-EXCEPT-

Up until now Dinoland maintained a cohesive themed reality that held that Dinosaurs are extinct. There was an institute, a dig site, and a roadside tourist trap, and in all of them dinosaurs were dead and gone, but still captured the imagination and attention of the people that lived there. The only way to see "live" dinosaurs in Dinoland is to use the time rovers to travel outside of this time/place to their time. This may not have been the most crowd-friendly approach to the material, but it also wasn't the easiest, from a design perspective, and I'm a little saddened to see their willingness to stray from it.

Mind you, I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm just saying they haven't, for what I assume were strongly-held thematic principles when conceptualizing the land.

free upload
Exactly.
In the preshow, "Seeker" goes at length to explain that the idea of bringing a dinosaur back from the past is still theoretical, so having a "real" baby dinosaur meet-and-greet already wandering around in the land screws up the chronology of Dinoland.

When the park first opened, the escaped Iguanadon was visible along the river banks on the Discovery River Cruise. The pretense is simple enough as stated by Dr. Grant Seeker that they can bring a live dinosaur back with you when you travel on one of their tours.

JohnD

I think they're looking for reasons to bring people into Dinoland. Other than DINOSAUR there is no other reason to go there, except for the kiddie rides for children.

Bairstow

When the park first opened, the escaped Iguanadon was visible along the river banks on the Discovery River Cruise. The pretense is simple enough as stated by Dr. Grant Seeker that they can bring a live dinosaur back with you when you travel on one of their tours.

I guess that's better in the sense that past-to-present Dinosaur immigration hasn't become a widespread or well-known activity yet.

Did they ever explicitly say in CTX or the boat ride that he's Aladar?

RSoxNo1

I guess that's better in the sense that past-to-present Dinosaur immigration hasn't become a widespread or well-known activity yet.

Did they ever explicitly say in CTX or the boat ride that he's Aladar?
I was there on opening day, and my admittedly fuzzy recollection was that they intimated that it was from the attraction but not explicitly said in order to not ruin the attraction for those that hadn't experienced it. You also see the Iguanadon roaming the halls of the Dino Institute near the on ride photo area.

At that point, I don't believe there was any reference to the Iguanadon being Aladar either because the movie wasn't out yet.

NoChesterHester

I was there on opening day, and my admittedly fuzzy recollection was that they intimated that it was from the attraction but not explicitly said in order to not ruin the attraction for those that hadn't experienced it. You also see the Iguanadon roaming the halls of the Dino Institute near the on ride photo area.

At that point, I don't believe there was any reference to the Iguanadon being Aladar either because the movie wasn't out yet.

And still no reference to Aladar because 17 people saw that movie.

bubbles1812

and the female:
297748154_0b568d998b.jpg

That female looks like the real-life look-a-like of the big lipped alligator from All Dogs Go to Heaven. (Warning for some language on the vid)

And I think the Nostalgia Critic's logic also applies. Lol. How did I not know these ever existed?

SoupBone

This is cool and very effective for a low-tech option. Honestly, I'd rather see Lucky return than to see something like this...but this isn't bad. The only thing that ruined it for me is seeing the legs of the operator. All illusion lost. Cover those up and I'd be in favor of this kind of thing.

Exactly. If they eliminated the legs, this would scare both kids and adults alike. I love the way this thing moves and looks so lifelike (outside of the legs). Disney most certainly could design an even more fluent costume if they wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom