New atmosphere entertainment being tested at DinoLand U.S.A.

Bairstow

Don't care for anything remotely like Dinorama much, but this version of the Excavator concept art looks pretty cool (if the entire ride would have looked like this then it would have been an extremely well themed coaster)-
4863.Beastly_2D00_Excavator_2D00_6.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

I'm assuming this is the one you're referring to with regards to that Nemesis ride.

I think that's the one.

My favorite piece is the one I posted above, with the boy in the lower righthand corner hopping up on his toes and holding his hands up like claws. This is exactly what I used to do as a kid after I saw Jurassic Park.

FigmentJedi

Really? Interesting. I wasn't there on opening (only rode it for the first time in 2010, I had stopped going to WDW after 1997 before AK opened), but that's a long time prior to the movie's release to be using footage from it. The original Countdown to Extinction opened April 1998 apparently, and the movie Dinosaur opened in May 2000. Two years between them. That movie must have been in development for a long time if there existed usable footage for it two years before release. I've never seen the Dinosaur movie, didn't look like something i'd be that interested in at the time and never bothered to give it a go since then.
It was actually in the works since the early 90s and originally, it would have just been silent with narration (which was Land Before Time's original plan and that recent Walking with Dinosaurs film was intending to do the same as well before meddling). Then Michael Eisner decided that it needed wacky lemur sidekicks so that the humans watching the film could have someone to better relate to.

MerlinTheGoat

It was actually in the works since the early 90s and originally, it would have just been silent with narration (which was Land Before Time's original plan and that recent Walking with Dinosaurs film was intending to do the same as well before meddling). Then Michael Eisner decided that it needed wacky lemur sidekicks so that the humans watching the film could have someone to better relate to.
That kind of started happening a lot, didn't it? :banghead:

I realize Disney movies tend to have extremely long histories of development, but the end product rarely resembles the original form it started as in the concept stage. I would imagine that Dinosaur in its earliest forms didn't use CGI if it was from the very early 90's (or if it did then a very primitive version of it that probably looked like crap).

Did really like Land Before Time though (the original, before they began pumping out so many sequels that it almost put Disney's direct to VHS craze to shame). Don Bluth used to have some pretty sweet animated movies in the 80's while Disney was struggling prior to the Little Mermaid turning things around. Maybe someday i'll give Dinosaur a watch, it just never looked like a movie that would appeal to me (and I like dinosaurs as much as anyone). One reason I remember avoiding it was indeed seeing those lemurs in the trailers.

Last edited:

Bairstow

It's really fascinating how history keeps repeating itself with those dinosaur dramas.
These movies always start off as The Bear and end up being released as Homeward Bound.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That female looks like the real-life look-a-like of the big lipped alligator from All Dogs Go to Heaven. (Warning for some language on the vid)

And I think the Nostalgia Critic's logic also applies. Lol. How did I not know these ever existed?

If you like the Critic, go to that guy with the glasses dot com and check out the Nostalgia Chick and E-Rod the Blockbuster Buster. Both are equally amusing.

Nick Pappagiorgio

So all the details to try and sell me that this is part of an elaborate plan or an inside joke to celebrate the history of the tourist trap falls flat and it seems that the joke is on me for paying Disney park prices for "bad part of town carnival rides."
So, I am happy for Disney to bring new entertainment to this area. Maybe by taking one small step at a time the Chester and Hester area can be remade into something worthy of the Disney name.

I agree wit you to an extent. I was there in late 1998, and remember how cool Dinoland was when it had more of an (for a lack of a better term) "Academic" feel to it, with the fossil exhibits and such.

On one hand I certainly agree with you that C&H was a cheap expansion to give the park a few more kids rides. On the other hand, the tackiness of it has grown on me over the years. I guess in my mind it is there (it is often very busy) and it adds a bit of whimsy to the park. I like how it explores the Pop culture aspect of dinos. That being said, if they were to level it tomorrow, I wouldn't be upset but I don't mind it as a place holder. Having been to DCA last summer, I like the area better than Paradise Pier (other than World of Color) which is more or less the same situation.

RSoxNo1

It was always intended to be Aladar: The stock footage from the Dinosaur film was always a part of the preshow.

Dinosaur is probably the most twisted spin-off any Disney movie has ever received: While Aladar's life is spared by the true K-T Event Meteor, he no longer has his friends and family. Which is kinda good because those Lemurs were hella annoying.
It's fairly safe to say that the movie Dinosaur is a big reason why Animal Kingdom doesn't have Beastly Kingdom.

Sped2424

Eisner made Dinoland USA take priority over Beastly Kingdom as far as things to do at the park on opening day involving gigantic reptiles goes so they could start promoting the film in advance.
Dinosaur didn't come out till 2000 and when the ride first opened it had nothing to do with the film and was known as countdown to extinction.

FigmentJedi

Dinosaur didn't come out till 2000 and when the ride first opened it had nothing to do with the film and was known as countdown to extinction.
We've been over this, Countdown to Extinction was always about the movie, hence the Iguanodon (using animation of Aladar from the film in the preshow since day one) and Carnotaurus. Plus Disney's had a history of using the parks to promote movies years in advance: Just look at Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Matt_Black

We've been over this, Countdown to Extinction was always about the movie, hence the Iguanodon (using animation of Aladar from the film in the preshow since day one) and Carnotaurus. Plus Disney's had a history of using the parks to promote movies years in advance: Just look at Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Then why even call it Countdown to Extinction in the first place?

ctxak98

Are you sure the ride always was about the movie?! I think the ride used similar dinosaurs from the movie but let's be honest! That ride has absolutely nothing in common with Dinosaur the movie!

Kman101

Curious to see the new walkaround Professor and his pet. I'm not super thrilled for the costumed characters coming back. So if it didn't work the first time ..... try and try again? LOL. Unless they've improved the costumes. And one can argue it fits the theme, it does, but they're awful LOL. At least they're trying to expand the offerings and that much I appreciate.

Bairstow

Then why even call it Countdown to Extinction in the first place?

Because "Dinosaur" is and always was a dumb name for a ride.

But like @Tahu is saying, the ride was always intended to tie in to the movie. The use of clips of Aladar (and his horse lips) taken right from the film in the preshow and the fact that the Carnotaurs have the exact same coloration pattern as those appearing in the film are rather convincing evidence.

FigmentJedi

Because "Dinosaur" is and always was a dumb name for a ride.

But like @Tahu is saying, the ride was always intended to tie in to the movie. The use of clips of Aladar (and his horse lips) taken right from the film in the preshow and the fact that the Carnotaurs have the exact same coloration pattern as those appearing in the film are rather convincing evidence.
Even the raptor is the same design as the one in the film pretty much.

ctxak98

I understand that the ride was supposed to tie into the movie in terms of the the dinosaurs, but beyond that it really doesn't feel anything like the movie! Yes the carnotaurus is the same style ( actually a bit different in look and scale if you look closely) and yes the raptor looks similar but it's not the same! I'm a huge dinosaur nerd and Dinosaur the ride nerd so I've taken the time to look at many details of the rides dinosaurs ( which are pretty acurately portrayed based on what we know, except the carnotaurus is much bigger then it's supposed to be!

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a really close resemblance to the movie except the dinosaurs they used are the same! It has nothing to do with Aladar or them finding the nesting ground! If the statue of Aladar wasn't outside the ride, I really don't think anyone would make the connection!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom