New atmosphere entertainment being tested at DinoLand U.S.A.

MerlinTheGoat

Here's another dinosaur costume that looks pretty good, this one's face isn't QUITE as detailed as the other one posted above but the legs are much better hidden and the movement still looks excellent-

I suppose this species made it easier to hide the legs. Given some talented artists (and a competent budget), I'm sure Disney could create some quite great looking and effective dinosaur costumes (I think some of the raptor effects in the original Jurassic Park movie were costumes). Perhaps with some four legged dinosaur costumes operated by two people. They could do a really neat mini parade event where dinosaur herds walk through the area a couple of times a day.

Sped2424

Since I know TDO would never pay for an experience like this I am assuming they are testing out the tech and the animatronic here, and then once shanghai opens V is off to go there.

Sped2424

Sounds fun,

-EXCEPT-

Up until now Dinoland maintained a cohesive themed reality that held that Dinosaurs are extinct. There was an institute, a dig site, and a roadside tourist trap, and in all of them dinosaurs were dead and gone, but still captured the imagination and attention of the people that lived there. The only way to see "live" dinosaurs in Dinoland is to use the time rovers to travel outside of this time/place to their time. This may not have been the most crowd-friendly approach to the material, but it also wasn't the easiest, from a design perspective, and I'm a little saddened to see their willingness to stray from it.

Mind you, I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm just saying they haven't, for what I assume were strongly-held thematic principles when conceptualizing the land.

mem
free upload
I believe that plot hole is solved when we brought an iguanodon back with us at the end of the ride. Not to hard to fit in that they also went back and brought our new friend. Remember this guy used to be around outside to tease guests on the extinct discovery boats.
DC01rs.jpg

MKCP 1985

That pair detract from the arguments in favor of "theme park only characters" as well as @Bairstow 's arguments that "up until now Dinoland maintained a cohesive themed reality that held that Dinosaurs are extinct." How do you explain two ugly-faced dinosaurs walking around Chester and Hester's mini-land taking pictures with park guests in 2004 if Dinosaurs are extinct? Of course, if you reply by saying there is and never has been any good explanation for Chester and Hester's mini-land in a Disney Park, I would agree with that 100%. :D

Matt_Black

Of course, if you reply by saying there is and never has been any good explanation for Chester and Hester's mini-land in a Disney Park, I would agree with that 100%. :D

I just chalk C&H to the Imagineers being all hipster-ish and ironic.

Seriously, though, you could go with the cryptozoology route to explain it. Many people believe that some dinosaur or dinosaur-like species could be alive today, such as the mokele-mbembe cryptid.

Bairstow

That pair detract from the arguments in favor of "theme park only characters" as well as @Bairstow 's arguments that "up until now Dinoland maintained a cohesive themed reality that held that Dinosaurs are extinct." How do you explain two ugly-faced dinosaurs walking around Chester and Hester's mini-land taking pictures with park guests in 2004 if Dinosaurs are extinct? Of course, if you reply by saying there is and never has been any good explanation for Chester and Hester's mini-land in a Disney Park, I would agree with that 100%. :D

Well like @TubaGeek said, the idea with the walk-around Carnotaurs is that they were part of the tourist-trap mini-land.
Unlike "normal" Disney walk-around characters, the guest is supposed to recognize these things as the kind of cheesy-looking man-in-costume characters that you might find at a roadside amusement park, not as "real" dinosaurs.

It's a rare bit of meta-theming from Disney, and I like it.

MerlinTheGoat

I'll take the above, but the Dinorama carnival area still needs to go as well. Without knowing whether they ever had anything better planned for the area from the original concepts for AK, my best and most logical idea would be to bulldoze it and use that space to build a new multi-level indoor classic style boat ride. Traveling through scenes (each of which shows a different past era) of extinct species (would be neat if they themed the facade and queue to look similar to the Smithsonian Institution Building in DC, they've already got a partial museum motif in the Dinosaur ride but it could be expanded further from there).

ToTBellHop

If only there was some addition that would add another crowd-pleasing E-ticket attraction without compromising the theming already in place...

Excavator.jpg
I never understood how a wooden coaster REALLY belongs in AK as such. You can call it Excavator and claim it's on theme all you want, but there is nothing that looks like that at a dig site. I prefer my roller coasters fully themed with broken animatronics. Here's hoping 7DMT follows suit by 2015. Looking forward to Droopy Dopey.

MKCP 1985

Well like @TubaGeek said, the idea with the walk-around Carnotaurs is that they were part of the tourist-trap mini-land.
Unlike "normal" Disney walk-around characters, the guest is supposed to recognize these things as the kind of cheesy-looking man-in-costume characters that you might find at a roadside amusement park, not as "real" dinosaurs.

Maybe, but it comes across to me that Disney took a very out of character shortcut by putting cheap attractions and characters in the Dinosaur area of the Animal Kingdom park then paid staff to create a backstory to try and justify it. The only way I could ever accept that Chester and Hester land provides the same quality that I've come to expect in Disney parks would be if when we boarded a ride or stepped up to try a carnival game, something unexpectedly happened to make these things more than they are, but that doesn't happen. So all the details to try and sell me that this is part of an elaborate plan or an inside joke to celebrate the history of the tourist trap falls flat and it seems that the joke is on me for paying Disney park prices for "bad part of town carnival rides."

So, I am happy for Disney to bring new entertainment to this area. Maybe by taking one small step at a time the Chester and Hester area can be remade into something worthy of the Disney name.

FigmentJedi

I was there on opening day, and my admittedly fuzzy recollection was that they intimated that it was from the attraction but not explicitly said in order to not ruin the attraction for those that hadn't experienced it. You also see the Iguanadon roaming the halls of the Dino Institute near the on ride photo area.

At that point, I don't believe there was any reference to the Iguanadon being Aladar either because the movie wasn't out yet.
It was always intended to be Aladar: The stock footage from the Dinosaur film was always a part of the preshow.

Dinosaur is probably the most twisted spin-off any Disney movie has ever received: While Aladar's life is spared by the true K-T Event Meteor, he no longer has his friends and family. Which is kinda good because those Lemurs were hella annoying.

Communicore

I would love to have them convert the big yellow dinosaur into a walking dinosaur, that would be the best and even I would spend a full day in the park if that is there!!

MerlinTheGoat

I never understood how a wooden coaster REALLY belongs in AK as such. You can call it Excavator and claim it's on theme all you want, but there is nothing that looks like that at a dig site. I prefer my roller coasters fully themed with broken animatronics. Here's hoping 7DMT follows suit by 2015. Looking forward to Droopy Dopey.
Given the concept art, I think the wooden coaster was supposed to resemble the wooden scaffolding you'd sometimes see at archaeological dig sites (or carts on makeshift wooden track to carry equipment and excavated finds). Much more suitable and thematically appropriate than the Dinorama crap anyways IMHO, even if it wasn't a remotely groundbreaking ride.

I'm guessing the first thing to break on 7DMT will be the face projections. That is realistically the first thing likely to go given Disney World's horrible track record with projections lately, there have been recent examples of non functional facial projections in other New Fantasyland figures such as Lumiere and the Wardrobe (dunno if they've fixed them since but they were having serious issues working consistently even recently after opening). We'll be seeing eyeless and mouthless dwarf faces before too long with our luck regarding WDW management, nightmare fuel for kiddies and adults alike. I really HATE that I have to say this, but at the very least a broken yeti still actually resembles what a yeti should look like, even if it doesn't move (some people who don't know any better probably won't notice unless they were told or shown ahead of time that it's supposed to move). But a broken facial projection is obvious to everyone with working eyes that something has gone wrong, even if you never experienced it when it did work. No one can ignore that...

It was always intended to be Aladar: The stock footage from the Dinosaur film was always a part of the preshow.
Really? Interesting. I wasn't there on opening (only rode it for the first time in 2010, I had stopped going to WDW after 1997 before AK opened), but that's a long time prior to the movie's release to be using footage from it. The original Countdown to Extinction opened April 1998 apparently, and the movie Dinosaur opened in May 2000. Two years between them. That movie must have been in development for a long time if there existed usable footage for it two years before release. I've never seen the Dinosaur movie, didn't look like something i'd be that interested in at the time and never bothered to give it a go since then.

Bairstow

Given the concept art, I think the wooden coaster was supposed to resemble the wooden scaffolding you'd sometimes see at archaeological dig sites (or carts on makeshift wooden track to carry equipment and excavated finds). Much more suitable and thematically appropriate than the Dinorama crap anyways IMHO, even if it wasn't a remotely groundbreaking ride.

There's actually a lot of variance in the Excavator concept art.
Some of it portrays the coaster as winding above and through an active dig site, while others seem to convey a concept more along the lines of what Chester and Hester's ended up becoming- a former dig site that has now been converted into a tourist attraction, with "dinosaurs" built from stacking up discarded digging machines and old cars. There's another piece of art that shows the coaster track intertwining with bones still embedded in the rock, similar to the awesomely-themed "Nemesis" at Alton Towers.

MerlinTheGoat

Don't care for anything remotely like Dinorama much, but this version of the Excavator concept art looks pretty cool (if the entire ride would have looked like this then it would have been an extremely well themed coaster)-
4863.Beastly_2D00_Excavator_2D00_6.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

I'm assuming this is the one you're referring to with regards to that Nemesis ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom