Mystery Project at Epcot

celluloid

The problem is not so much just the pop culture(which does allow it to be dated quicker) but it is the lack of updating in general. If you want to have a film based attraction like this and let the Dinosaur scenes become lacking and not full of the upkeep and effects the once were you have to give the attraction an overhaul. The redo was cute from 1996-2000 or so(the charm ended much earlier for some) If you design an attraction with that mold of such celebrity and pop culture you have to keep it updated. Not only for the personalities featured as characters but the style of comedy has changed.
It become painfully noticeable when the quick majorly film based redo of Energy has now outlived the amount of years the original has.

WDITrent

ctxak98

The problem is not so much just the pop culture(which does allow it to be dated quicker) but it is the lack of updating in general. If you want to have a film based attraction like this and let the Dinosaur scenes become lacking and not full of the upkeep and effects the once were you have to give the attraction an overhaul. The redo was cute from 1996-2000 or so(the charm ended much earlier for some) If you design an attraction with that mold of such celebrity and pop culture you have to keep it updated. Not only for the personalities featured as characters but the style of comedy has changed.
It become painfully noticeable when the quick majorly film based redo of Energy has now outlived the amount of years the original has.
I guess....But I just personally disagree on the whole Humor is gone. I mean why would people today still laugh at comedy from way back in the 30's with Katherine Hepburn or Cary Grant. Comedy is timeless and its done tastefully in ellends energy adenture IMO. I like the idea of its being redone but I just don't see how it lost charm overtime!? maybe its just me!

the.dreamfinder

I've worked with the artist who did that Seas art, and although it's not in Ryman's league, it's not terrible for the style they wanted to convey. The piece of Imagination art isn't even in the Seas league. It's just bad. It IS hard to find great concept artists that match your project concepts. There are a limited number of greats out there, and they take time to work, so they're not easily available. There's tons of concepts that go out, meaning a lot of art, but not a lot gets built. But that Imagination piece would not have passed muster - I would have gone into contingency and had it redone.

Crap. :sigh: They could have covered them, which was in the initial plan. They did not have to gut them. That room did not change, nor did they need the infrastructure for other space purposes.

I just had a visceral shudder to these.
Well... They did fire all those great concept artists from the 90's that could've trained the next generation to be at their level...

articos

Neither of these are as bad as the Imagination piece either, to me. These aren't horrid, but they're not great unfortunately. The bottom piece must have been churned out in a hurry. He's capable of good work, but he's also more a storyboard guy. Top one is a newer guy, bottom piece is not.

articos

Well... They did fire all those great concept artists from the 90's that could've trained the next generation be at their level...
And now they hire them back at triple the cost per piece. But it's a plus because we can use them on other non-Disney projects now.
There's a reason why I still draw with paper and pencil. I see the computer as a finishing device.
99.9% of the good ones do, but that's rare now.

MikeTaylorSound

I think the films are too long on the EEA attraction. I always tell newcomers to go to the restroom before they ride it. I think the majority of people who choose this attraction are there to 1) get out of the heat; 2) appreciate the early animated characters (dinosaurs); and 3) take a nap. There's an 8 minute introductory film and when you get on the ride, you have to sit through another 8 minutes before the ride moves. Then, you have to watch another movie in between animated scenes. Finally, you have to watch a 17 minute film at the end of the ride. I can only withstand so much of Ellen's overbearing personality anyway, so that probably makes it seem never-ending to me. Honestly, 40 minutes is probably too long for a ride to last, especially when there are so many things to do in EPCOT.

PeterAlt

I just listened to the podcast and I do think its a replacement for Imagination. It's something as big as Mystic Manner. The only obvious contender is Imagination.

Interesting how Mystic Manner isn't a Haunted Mansion clone. Maybe they could build one near Tower of Terror in the future and make a haunted land?

djlaosc

I have to say, I went on Ellen for the first time last time we were there (2011) - I liked it, and would go on again.

It's not something to ride multiple times in one trip, but it's good for once a trip.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We really need a list of legal words.
paranoid.gif

You are correct, I wasn't really thinking about it when I was typing. I have edited my post.

ThemeParks4Life

It won't be cloned. One of the first articles about the three-land expansion to HKDL (Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch, and Toy Story Land) quoted someone from HKDL management as saying that Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch would be exclusive to HKDL.

MM would be a great fit in AK, but they have an agreement that it won't be cloned for another Disney park until 5 years after it opens.

Fine by me. If I ever decide to visit the international parks it gives me a reason to go.

WDW1974

It won't be cloned. One of the first articles about the three-land expansion to HKDL (Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch, and Toy Story Land) quoted someone from HKDL management as saying that Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch would be exclusive to HKDL.

How did this bad rumour start? MM is, and will be, unique to HKDL. But beyond that, how the hell would that EVER fit in EPCOT?!?!?

Some people here are as clueless as Eric Jacobson! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom