MSEP Extended

etwtec

I can't wait to see the 40th Anniversary version of Spectro.

Likewise, it COULD be totally awesome! But we are also talking TDO here haha so I am not gonna get my hopes to high for a mind blowing, TDL Dreamlights style verison of Spectro hahaha, though that would be sweet! :)

KaliSplash

I kind of hope SpectroMagic drives off into a ditch somewhere. Never to be found again.

An excellent idea!

I had been waiting for this news. Hopefully we're talking at least through Sept. 2011. I'll be making a run by the park next week to see it. But now I can plan a trip when I can see it more than once. This is fantastic.

And Amykissangel, I understand why you might love Spectro and it may bring tears to your eyes. This is precisely why I love MSEP!

DisneyParksFan1

I kind of hope SpectroMagic drives off into a ditch somewhere. Never to be found again.

Why?

IMO, SpectroMagic beats MSEP. I mean yeah it's nice to have something different here at WDW, but in the end, Spectro is still the best in my book. The music is magical and its an engineering and technological marvel. It's in my opinion one of the VERY FEW things to be proud of at WDW. IMO, ELP is simply cherished because of its nostalgia.:shrug:

David S.

Why?

IMO, SpectroMagic beats MSEP. I mean yeah it's nice to have something different here at WDW, but in the end, Spectro is still the best in my book. The music is magical and its an engineering and technological marvel. It's in my opinion one of the VERY FEW things to be proud of at WDW. IMO, ELP is simply cherished because of its nostalgia.:shrug:

For me, it has nothing to do with nostalgia. I simply like the MSEP music MUCH more, and the happier mood it puts me in during the parade - which in turn makes MSEP more "magical" for me.

If Spectro were the "old" parade and MSEP were the "new" parade, I'd still prefer the MSEP, so nostalgia is not a factor for me.

DisneyParksFan1

For me, it has nothing to do with nostalgia. I simply like the MSEP music MUCH more, and the happier mood it puts me in during the parade - which in turn makes MSEP more "magical" for me.

If Spectro were the "old" parade and MSEP were the "new" parade, I'd still prefer the MSEP, so nostalgia is not a factor for me.

Well, to each his own.

rodserling27

Yep. This is pretty much it. Nostalgia isn't the biggest factor for me. I just think MSEP blows away SpectroMagic, especially the updated one currently running. SpectroMagic doesn't hold a candle!!!

I remember seeing SpectroMagic on my 1992 trip and not caring too much for it. I have only watched it since then when I'm with someone who has never been to WDW before. Other than that, I can't remember a single time stopping to watch SpectroMagic. Honestly. I just never liked it. The white lights always looked SUPER boring to me, and reminded me of glorified Christmas lights. Though I love the music, I just don't think it works for a parade. I think that a parade should get people moving, have them jump to their feet and start bopping around and clapping to the music, not "whisk" them away on a symphonic score. Guests get that already with the fireworks and Fantasmic soundtracks.

For some strange reason, I don't like the words or pre-recored character voices in SpectroMagic. I prefer the all-instrumental MSEP, I guess it leaves room to talk without "missing" words or dialogue? I'm not sure.

I feel like an idiot defending MSEP and arguing with people on a WDW forum, but alas, it's my passion! :eek:

Someone will have to explain to me what "music" they love from MSEP:dazzle: I truly respect everyone's attachment to their favorite parade - I bet if I was like some of you who'd seen it as a childhood favorite, I'd love it too. However...eighties electronic synthesizers somehow compare to the soaring melodies and harmonies and interspersing Disney medleys going on in Spectro? Truly not trying to be mean...just a little incredulous. I've seen it - back in 2000 - and thought, "That's a lot of lights. Where's Spectro?" So for the rest of the trip I listened to it with my CD player headphones of Fantasy in the Sky and Spectro - it was much better ;~)

David S.

Someone will have to explain to me what "music" they love from MSEP:dazzle: I truly respect everyone's attachment to their favorite parade - I bet if I was like some of you who'd seen it as a childhood favorite, I'd love it too. However...eighties electronic synthesizers somehow compare to the soaring melodies and harmonies and interspersing Disney medleys going on in Spectro? Truly not trying to be mean...just a little incredulous. I've seen it - back in 2000 - and thought, "That's a lot of lights. Where's Spectro?" So for the rest of the trip I listened to it with my CD player headphones of Fantasy in the Sky and Spectro - it was much better ;~)

OK, since you asked and said you're not trying to be mean in your criticism of MSEP, I'll try to explain it. I'm not trying to speak for other MSEP fans, just myself.

As I stated in other posts, it's not JUST that I love the synth sound of MSEP, it's also, and perhaps more importantly, the fact that MSEP is livelier, more upbeat, more whimsical, more happy-sounding to my ears than Spectro is. Rod Serling has also mentioned this many times as well. This upbeat, happy-sounding music puts me in a very happy mood which makes the whole parade just feel happy and magical for me. It really touches my inner child and I feel like a little boy again while watching the parade, much more than I do while watching Spectro.

But how can you really put into words the powers that music has to affect people and bring out certain emotions? I don't know if it can be explained. That's the great mystery of music! And of course, not everyone is going to be affected by it the same way, hence the differences of opinions on this and other threads. I would say instead of trying to "understand" why some of us love this music, (as if it's somehow unusual), to just remember the "different strokes for different folks" mantra :). After all, I am somewhat surprised that so many prefer a soundtrack that sounds IMO kind of slow and formal for a parade, and IMO less exciting and happy than MSEP, but to each their own!

I should stress here that I do NOT dislike Spectro, I enjoy it very much! I simply PREFER the MSEP.

Also, you are the second person who mentioned that Spectro has classic Disney melodies other than the main theme. Well, it doesn't have a monopoly on this! Here is a list of classic Disney songs found in the current version of MSEP besides the main "Baroque Hoedown" theme:

From Alice In Wonderland - "All In the Golden Afternoon", "The Unbirthday Song", "Alice In Wonderland"

From Cinderella - "Cinderella", "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes", "So This Is Love"

From Peter Pan - "You Can Fly", "A Pirate's Life", "The Elegant Captain Hook"

From Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - "Whistle While You Work", "The Silly Song", "Dig Dig Dig/Heigh Ho"

From Pinocchio - "I've Got No Strings", "Hi Diddle Dee Dee (An Actor's Life For Me)", "Give A Little Whistle", "Little Woodenhead"

From Pete's Dragon - "Brazzle Dazzle Day", "It's Not Easy"

Lastly, everyone has the right to their opinion, but personally I cringe a little everytime I hear synth music called "cheesy" or "outdated" (such as elsewhere on these boards). To my ears, the "70's and 80's synth sound" still sounds more futuristic and "spaceage" than anything being made today. So what is the new "futurism" of music? Grunge and rap? No thanks! I should be used to it though, as synthpop and electronic music has never gotten much respect in the US from music critics and so forth - even when it was charting.

I can say MSEP played a HUGE role in my pop musical taste after first seeing the parade. I became a big fan of electronic synth-pop artists like Gary Numan (at least the stuff he was doing around the time I first saw MSEP such as "The Pleasure Principle" album featuring the song "Cars"), OMD (aka Orchestral Manoevres In The Dark), and just about ANYTHING by Yaz and Erasure (I consider Vince Clarke a musical genius!) To name just a few.

I still listen to synth-pop and electronic music to this day, including these artists, and believe it or not, there are new artists inspired by the groups I just mentioned who continue to work in this genre. Some of the synthpop legends mentioned above are still making new music, too (such as Erasure). So the synthpop genre still exists and isn't "outdated" - it's just not as "mainstream" in the United States as it was in the late 70's and early 80's.

If synthpop is "outdated", than so is rock and roll, which is even older, lower-tech! (and I don't consider rock and roll outdated!)

WDW-Crazy

^ AMEN David S.! You hit the nail square on the head with that one. I'm also one who likes both Spectro and MSEP but when it comes to it, MSEP was THE first nighttime parade I've ever seen and thus when I hear that music, it brings back the memories. It also does sound livelier and more upbeat than Spectro. Last night, I pulled out our old VHS tape from 1989 and was watching MSEP again, sort of to get me ready for when I see it again next month. To be honest, I think the current version is alot better and you can hear the different Disney tunes being played alot clearer (not to mention the LED's are alot better as well).

For all you folks who think that MSEP is too "cheesy" and "outdated", well then maybe you should avoid another particular film over at Epcot from the 80's that was just recently brought back.....

OK, since you asked and said you're not trying to be mean in your criticism of MSEP, I'll try to explain it. I'm not trying to speak for other MSEP fans, just myself.

As I stated in other posts, it's not JUST that I love the synth sound of MSEP, it's also, and perhaps more importantly, the fact that MSEP is livelier, more upbeat, more whimsical, more happy-sounding to my ears than Spectro is. Rod Serling has also mentioned this many times as well. This upbeat, happy-sounding music puts me in a very happy mood which makes the whole parade just feel happy and magical for me. It really touches my inner child and I feel like a little boy again while watching the parade, much more than I do while watching Spectro.

But how can you really put into words the powers that music has to affect people and bring out certain emotions? I don't know if it can be explained. That's the great mystery of music! And of course, not everyone is going to be affected by it the same way, hence the differences of opinions on this and other threads. I would say instead of trying to "understand" why some of us love this music, (as if it's somehow unusual), to just remember the "different strokes for different folks" mantra :). After all, I am somewhat surprised that so many prefer a soundtrack that sounds IMO kind of slow and formal for a parade, and IMO less exciting and happy than MSEP, but to each their own!

I should stress here that I do NOT dislike Spectro, I enjoy it very much! I simply PREFER the MSEP.

I completely hear you David S :) I don't "hate" MSEP at all; I think my grouchiness is rooted in the fact that I was promised Spectro and get MSEP - something I just don't like even half as much. I'll have to disagree with you on the synthesizer music...as a former music major, I just have to hate it on principle:animwink:...but at least you've given me some hope by listing a few Disney songs found in the newer version. Still bummed and disappointed - I prefer "magical" sounding music, which is what I think Spectro has more of - but I will try to be less crabby and appreciate MSEP for what it is :wave: Thanks for taking my post in the spirit in which it was intended!

DisneyParksFan1

David S. very well said IMO, and let it also be known that I love MSEP, but I as well prefer Spectro. Now, I don't mean to get off topic, but pop music nowadays has gone from Grunge and Rap to Electro and Synthpop. I mean it's evident that the Rap days are over. Right now if you look at the charts it's mostly electropop and synthpop.

David S.

Thanks for the info. All the more reason MSEP isn't "outdated", then! Maybe I should start listening to the radio more. But whenever I hear contemporary music, it either seems to be rap/hip-hop, "grunge-lite", or the teen Hannah Montana-type sound! There are exceptions of course - Coldplay seems to get mainstream airplay, and U2 still seems pretty popular - good for them! I enjoy both those groups, but then again I don't consider them "synthpop".

You know what I really miss? When MTV actually played MUSIC! There was a show called 120 Minutes that used to come on every Sunday night, where you could keep up with all the new music coming out. I especially liked it in the beginning when they showcased more melodic bands - both synth and guitar (most of my faves were English/European, but there were some American bands I liked as well, such as REM). And then in the 90's the music began shifting to more aggressive, unmelodic, angry-sounding grunge, "industrial", and rap genres, (mostly American artists) and I began to lose interest in 120 Minutes. And the "mainstream" sounds did less and less for me, as well. And then eventually MTV basically stopped showing music as is the case now.

DisneyParksFan1

Thanks for the info. All the more reason MSEP isn't "outdated", then! Maybe I should start listening to the radio more. But whenever I hear contemporary music, it either seems to be rap/hip-hop, or the teen Hannah Montana-type sound!

Yeah I mean there's still some hip hop only radio stations but pop music is mostly electropop. Artists like Lady GaGa, Kesha, Black Eyed Peas brought this electro era about. And that is also very true, that just makes MSEP less outdated. I mean 70s synth still sounds ahead of it's time and ahead of OUR time dare I say.

David S.

Wow, that was a QUICK reply!

Oh, I see now what you mean by synthpop. I've never really thought of those groups that way, although you're right, they do use electronic sounds. But I guess I'm more into the old school of synth bands, who seem to have at least initially been influenced by the Perrey/Kingsley "Baroque Hoedown", era of all those awesome Moog sounds that I love.

Some of the classic English synth groups that were huge in the 80's that I'm a fan of, such as Erasure and Pet Shop Boys, have continued recording and touring throughout the grungy 90's and continue to do so now, even though they don't seem to get much exposure in the States.

So I guess that's more the kind of thing I was refering to!

And that is also very true, that just makes MSEP less outdated. I mean 70s synth still sounds ahead of it's time and ahead of OUR time dare I say.

I agree! Here are some of the tracks that when I first heard them reminded me somewhat of MSEP, and got me into the synthpop genre of pop music. I LOVE those Moog sounds! - the colorful, spacey sounds; long, sustained notes that just seem to float...

"Airlane", by Gary Numan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50U1zFHoH30
"Cars", by Gary Numan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXEu1odjKZM
"Electricity", by OMD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq2vl99iIEc
"VCL XI", by OMD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLtliOUeyWY

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom