MSEP Extended

wendysmom

While I do like Spectromagic better, it's been so long since I've seen MSEP that this is a real treat!! I'm bringing a friend in October who has never seen it. Adding to that my DD's husband is running in the marathon in January and we're all heading down for that...and he's also never seen it!! So yay for the (expected) extention!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

MicheleK

I saw it two weeks ago and what memories it brought back... I cried :cry:... I'm a big sap! My kids got a kick out of my tears. Let me say that the minute the music started the crowd went CRAZY! You could almost not hear the music too well over the crowd. Good times.

I'm thrilled they've extended it and I hope it's for a good long while. We'll be back Christmas week and I would be thrilled to see it again. Though I'm not sure they run the electrical parades in the winter?? I forget. :wave:

mcstensrud

We don't usually stay for parades and fireworks anymore,but to get the chance to see MSEP in September after all these years is making me so happy:sohappy:.My favorite parade is still Boo Too You.
Come on September!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Tirian, or anyone else, does this confirm that Spectro will, in fact, be refurbed?

Just by spending a few extra bucks, they could update the lighting, technology, and floats and breathe life into Spectro. It certainly does have a somewhat dated/worn feel (thought not as much as MSEP!).

Spectro was in dire need of a refurbishment, which is why MSEP was brought over to cover. The extent of the refurb isn't yet clear though. It could range from mostly behind-the-scenes work, to almost being a completely new show.

Biff215

I'm glad they "extended" its run so more guests will be able to see it beyond this summer, but I do look forward to Spectro's return, and hopefully completely refurbished!

We saw the MSEP in June and enjoyed it, just not as much as Spectro. As others have said, the music is too repetitive IMO and some of the characters and floats just seem dated.

It's a great, classic parade either way!

mightynine

I could see it when I went earlier this year - poor Spectro needed some TLC, so this is good news.

The only bad news? If Spectro gets an extensive refurb, we could lose the retro WDW logo at the beginning.

Note: That may only matter to me.

dizzney

SOOOOO glad they are keeping this on, we arrive in 21 days and DH and I so wanted to see this since we havent seen it for years. Its bad enough that TSM will be closed, but at least this wont be ending on the 14th.

Buried20KLeague

I guess Al Lutz was wrong about this one... He said it would be back at DCA in time for the holidays. Uncharacteristic for him to be SO far off like this... Steve know from day one that it wasn't just going to be there for the Summer, as did most anyone.

David S.

I've read some complaints about the MSEP music. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. For me, the music is the biggest reason I prefer MSEP over Spectro! I find the MSEP music incredibly happy, upbeat, lively, bouncy, and fun, with Spectro's music being slower, less "happy" sounding, and much less memorable, for my taste.

As far MSEP's music being "repetitive", IMO, this is true for the "underliner" of any Disney parade, including Spectro. Each segment of the MSEP has it's own lively arragements of classic Disney songs from their respective films. Only the "Baroque Hoedown" underliner repeats throughout the parade, but then again, so does the "On This Magic Night" theme during Spectro!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Spectro too, and feel bad for the fans who miss it. I remember how much I missed MSEP the last 20 years! (I missed the return around the millenium).

In my ideal world, each parade could alternate years, and then everyone would be happy - not to mention when one's favorite came back, it would be all the more special. This would also keep things "fresh" for repeat visitors.

MSEP staying

I love Spectro and MSEP, happy MESP is staying and Spectro can get some TLC. Can Disney just change the Drum to say MSEP, not Disney Original? It is on Main Street again, and looks to be there for awhile as most people thought.

hpyhnt 1000

Spectro was in dire need of a refurbishment, which is why MSEP was brought over to cover. The extent of the refurb isn't yet clear though. It could range from mostly behind-the-scenes work, to almost being a completely new show.

Well, thats good news; at least the refurb was planned from the beginning of the MSEP coming over. Its just a matter of to what extent.

Personally, I don't see why they wouldn't go all out on this refurb. MK doesn't have anything big coming between now and the new Fantasyland additions... might as well significantly upgrade and update Spectro with new floats and technology and tout it as a new experience for late 2011/early 2012. :shrug:

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Steve! :wave:

Horizons1

I've read some complaints about the MSEP music. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. For me, the music is the biggest reason I prefer MSEP over Spectro! I find the MSEP music incredibly happy, upbeat, lively, bouncy, and fun, with Spectro's music being slower, less "happy" sounding, and much less memorable, for my taste.

As far MSEP's music being "repetitive", IMO, this is true for the "underliner" of any Disney parade, including Spectro. Each segment of the MSEP has it's own lively arragements of classic Disney songs from their respective films. Only the "Baroque Hoedown" underliner repeats throughout the parade, but then again, so does the "On This Magic Night" theme during Spectro!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Spectro too, and feel bad for the fans who miss it. I remember how much I missed MSEP the last 20 years! (I missed the return around the millenium).

In my ideal world, each parade could alternate years, and then everyone would be happy - not to mention when one's favorite came back, it would be all the more special. This would also keep things "fresh" for repeat visitors.

The only complaint I've got about the MSEP music is that they've changed it. The synthesized music is what made the MSEP the MSEP. The music now doesn't seem to fit the parade. But I guess that's because I'm so used to the other version of it. Maybe for people that are seeing the parade for the first time, it fits perfectly. :shrug:

Oh, and as for the MSEP staying past Nightastic, not surprising. Even a lot of people here caught wind of it before today.

kaos

Am I the only one that is realizing that THIS version of MSEP is the same age as Spectro? If TDO would MERGE the 2 together, that would make me excited. I've seen all three versions of MSEP, and the 2 versions of Spectro multiple times... I feel that a combo of both would be the most effective. And in terms of Legacy and tradition, BOTH have had an extensive WDW run at the MK, and either is acceptable to me and my family. To be honest, there are times that I prefer one over the other, but both are on the top of my list as Parades, current or in the past. I do hope that since MSEP is staying, they at least do the holiday overlay while I'm there this Christmas/New Years.

HMF

I said in a thread a few months ago that at the end of the summer they will issue a press release saying that the parade will stay. (due to popular demand because they never intended to have it end with Nightastic. They just acted like they did. They do this with everything. Not shocked at all. In fact I was expecting it.

tirian

Tirian, or anyone else, does this confirm that Spectro will, in fact, be refurbed?

Just by spending a few extra bucks, they could update the lighting, technology, and floats and breathe life into Spectro. It certainly does have a somewhat dated/worn feel (thought not as much as MSEP!).

Steve already answered this, but I'll confirm: yes, Spectro is being practically rebuilt. :wave: RUMOR says almost a whole new parade, but we know how much things can get cut back.

David S.

The only complaint I've got about the MSEP music is that they've changed it. The synthesized music is what made the MSEP the MSEP. The music now doesn't seem to fit the parade. But I guess that's because I'm so used to the other version of it. Maybe for people that are seeing the parade for the first time, it fits perfectly. :shrug:

Well, in my case, I grew up with the parade and have the original Don Dorsey MSEP soundtrack on CD in various iterations, so I was concerned about the changes as well. I am fortunate that I knew about the changes in advance (and my beloved missing Dumbo segment) before I went and saw the parade. I even found a copy of the new music online so I was able to aclimate to it before seeing the parade in person.

Had I learned of the changed music and missing Dumbo segment DURING my first viewing of the parade, the result would have been more jarring.

Don't get me wrong, my first choice would be to use the classic Don Dorsey arrangement, and restore the Dumbo segment to the parade.

Having said that, though, I've gotten used to the new arrangement, and still find it more lively, upbeat, and "happy" sounding than the Spectro music.

And one thing I like about the new arrangement is there are more classic melodies and songs from the Snow White and Pinocchio films in their respective segments, than there were in the original MSEP arrangement.

I'm really happy the animals in the Alice segment still "talk"! That's one of my favorite parts, as is Pete's Dragon (which seems to sound fairly similar in this version)

WDW-Crazy

YES!!!! I knew that this would be coming, but it's great to officially hear it from WDW themselves. It's been twenty-one years since I've last seen this parade and it looks way better now with the LED's and Tink in the front.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom