Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Picked up for next Fall

SAV

I like what they are doing with Skye so far. Keeping her hacker past alive, but showing she is still part of the team. Can they trust her or not? I like how they are tying the first episodes in with the rest of them as well.

If you are interested in seeing some behind the scenes pictures, Chloe Bennett(Skye) has been tweeting some pictures every now and then. @chloebennet4 on twitter. It sure seems like she is infatuated with her co-star on the show.

|Q|

Ok, last night episode was the first one i'm actually excited to talk about. It started pretty weak, but around the middle when Ward attacks the Buscuit, it gets great. Also loved the ending scenes. "Did I fall asleep?" lol

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Ok, last night episode was the first one i'm actually excited to talk about. It started pretty weak, but around the middle when Ward attacks the Buscuit, it gets great. Also loved the ending scenes. "Did I fall asleep?" lol
I think it's going to continue to get better. I like how they tied in with the Thor movie and didn't just ignore it happening.

WDWmazprty

I think the show is great! People have to remember that its a one hour show with less of a budget than the blockbuster Marvel motion pictures.
For what it is, its good. It has enough plot and action to keep you interested while making you want to see it the next week for a new adventure.

Last edited:

|Q|

I think the show is great! People have to remember that its a one hour show with less of a budget than the blockbuster Marvel motion pictures.

That's not the problem, i think the first episode felt pretty lazy and weak, with pretty formulaic plot and relying way too much on self conclusive stories. I'm totally ok with self contained cases, but i feel the need on an overarching plot to really hook my interest. I know they actually have an overarching plan (I have complete faith in the Whedon clan), just I think they've been WAAAY too shy in actually *use* it, lol. This episode was the first time they actually get me excited for what was happening in the episode.

WDWmazprty

Huh? There are plenty of really good hour long television shows.

That's not what I meant. Not saying that you can't have a good show in an hour. Its that it seems a lot of people have these expectations that the show will be like the movie every week. You can't expect that, but because they do, some are underwhelmed with the show.
Of course to each his own.
I think more people are getting on board now that its been some weeks and I think it'll just get better.

lazyboy97o

That's not what I meant. Not saying that you can't have a good show in an hour. Its that it seems a lot of people have these expectations that the show will be like the movie every week. You can't expect that, but because they do, some are underwhelmed with the show.
Of course to each his own.
I think more people are getting on board now that its been some weeks and I think it'll just get better.
Yes, people have expectations based on the films and that is perfectly reasonable because of Whedon.

Disneyfanman

Loved the pilot. Disappointed in the first episode, but they have continued to get better. I thought the most recent two were terrific. They are beginning to hit their stride and I hope people commit to the show.

|Q|

The 10th episode sounds promising:

"The Bridge" - In a shocking cliffhanger episode, Coulson takes the war back to Centipede, and this time he brings in Mike Peterson for some super-soldier support. As they get closer to the truth, startling secrets are revealed and an unexpected twist threatens the team, on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," Tuesday, December 10 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons. Guest starring are J. August Richards as Mike Peterson, Ajani Wrighster as Ace, Ruth Negga as Raina, Rick Malambri as Brian Hayward, Molly McCook as Laura Hayward, Cullen Douglas as Edison Po, Rico Devereaux as prison guard and Albert Marrero Jr. as trainer. "The Bridge" was written by Shalisha Francis and directed by Holly Dale.

Some previously introduced characters return, and hey, looks like the first part of a two parter!

SAV

Just watched the most recent episode on DVR...Kinda creepy. Definitely grabbed my attention. Love how they are slowly building each agent and showing us things each week.

|Q|

SPECULATION TIME!

I have a couple of theories i want to share before tonight episode (cause, you know, maybe after i can brag about it ;)

I've been pretty sure since before the pilot that "Skye" is goin to turn out to be an estabilished Marvel character, mostly because, well, they never told us her real name (and this was quickly dismissed with a "you'll tell us later" from Coulson in the pilot). Pretty fishy, I think. At first i was thinking about one of the Jessicas (Jones or Drew), but lately I have a new theory. We now know that Skye is an 084 and that she was found in China. The only time we've been to China this season was for an episode where we are introduced to a guy that has superpowers for no apparent reason (first time ever in the MCU, another thing that was barely noted in the episode). So, what is Scorch and Skye are related? And if we think about pyrokinesis powers with possible alien origins, we would get someone Like green aired Abigail Brand, head of S.W.O.R.D., a character created by none other than Joss Whedon...

The other thing i've been thinking about, it's of course the Clairvoyant. Since is getting evident that AoS main purpose is to set up in an elaborate enough way secondary character not important enought to be put in the movies, i'm thinking that maybe it could also serve the purpose to create some characters whose complicated origin story would not work much in a 2 hours movie. Now, what is the most difficult major Marvel villain to put on screen? I'd say, good ol' MODOK

2245425-2_modok.jpg

I think the Clairvoyant is a still (mostly) human pre-MODOK George Tarleton, and he's a "clairvoyant" because is brain is connected to "the internet", so he can read online statuses and check out photos on flickr and instagram (they already used this technique in a couple of episodes to track down people). After we get introduced to him as still somehow human, he'll "evolve" in something more similar to the big evil head we all came to love and fear (just like they're doing with Mike Peterson/Deathlok).

These are my two cents ^_^

Q

Disneyfanman

SPECULATION TIME!

I have a couple of theories i want to share before tonight episode (cause, you know, maybe after i can brag about it ;)

I've been pretty sure since before the pilot that "Skye" is goin to turn out to be an estabilished Marvel character, mostly because, well, they never told us her real name (and this was quickly dismissed with a "you'll tell us later" from Coulson in the pilot). Pretty fishy, I think. At first i was thinking about one of the Jessicas (Jones or Drew), but lately I have a new theory. We now know that Skye is an 084 and that she was found in China. The only time we've been to China this season was for an episode where we are introduced to a guy that has superpowers for no apparent reason (first time ever in the MCU, another thing that was barely noted in the episode). So, what is Scorch and Skye are related? And if we think about pyrokinesis powers with possible alien origins, we would get someone Like green aired Abigail Brand, head of S.W.O.R.D., a character created by none other than Joss Whedon...

The other thing i've been thinking about, it's of course the Clairvoyant. Since is getting evident that AoS main purpose is to set up in an elaborate enough way secondary character not important enought to be put in the movies, i'm thinking that maybe it could also serve the purpose to create some characters whose complicated origin story would not work much in a 2 hours movie. Now, what is the most difficult major Marvel villain to put on screen? I'd say, good ol' MODOK

2245425-2_modok.jpg

I think the Clairvoyant is a still (mostly) human pre-MODOK George Tarleton, and he's a "clairvoyant" because is brain is connected to "the internet", so he can read online statuses and check out photos on flickr and instagram (they already used this technique in a couple of episodes to track down people). After we get introduced to him as still somehow human, he'll "evolve" in something more similar to the big evil head we all came to love and fear (just like they're doing with Mike Peterson/Deathlok).

These are my two cents ^_^

Q

I did a search for MODOK and believe you might be right! The character fits just about everything we know so far. He processes probability equations so well it looks like precognition (fits). He wants to kill Skye because the mystery of who she is prevents him from understanding all the variables (fits). He controls people and groups (fits). A very cool theory.

SAV

Well, this last episode was pretty intense.

I have never been a comic book guy, but have fell in love with the Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and C.A. movies. So I don't know so much about the comic book stuff that they are pulling from and using in the show.

Can anyone explain to me what that blue dude in the tank making that GH stuff that they injected Skye with was? Very creepy. And I don't get why they didn't grab more of that stuff if it was a cure to "fix" whatever was wrong. I mean they could keep it and use if if anyone else was shot. But they just took a single dose of it and used it.

Can't wait for this weeks episode.

216bruce

I think "tank guy" was just a failed patient they used the green stuff on. He was shown to build tension for when Skye was injected and even more tension with her initial reaction to the green stuff. If it was Coulsen, the make-up/effects people did a lousy job as it didn't look like him. I really hope the show sticks around for a while- it's definitely growing on me.

Disneyfanman

I think "tank guy" was just a failed patient they used the green stuff on. He was shown to build tension for when Skye was injected and even more tension with her initial reaction to the green stuff. If it was Coulsen, the make-up/effects people did a lousy job as it didn't look like him. I really hope the show sticks around for a while- it's definitely growing on me.

Marvel blogs seem to think that it's an alien from their giant cast of available characters; most likely a Kree. That doesn't explain what they are doing, but it looked like they were harvesting the GH (Growth Hormone?) from its body, and that he was being kept alive for that reason.

I liked the episode a lot, but felt a bit like the characters were a bit out of sync and doing things that didn't feel quite true. Bill Paxton was a fantastic addition though and the reveal of the creature in the tank was exciting and appropriately icky.

I really like the "last scene" technique that they are using too. It builds tension and anticipation for the next episode. They need to never put so much time in between two single but connected episodes again though. Ratings were way down on this past Tuesday, and scheduling like that can kill a series.

216bruce

Marvel blogs seem to think that it's an alien from their giant cast of available characters; most likely a Kree. That doesn't explain what they are doing, but it looked like they were harvesting the GH (Growth Hormone?) from its body, and that he was being kept alive for that reason.

I liked the episode a lot, but felt a bit like the characters were a bit out of sync and doing things that didn't feel quite true. Bill Paxton was a fantastic addition though and the reveal of the creature in the tank was exciting and appropriately icky.

I really like the "last scene" technique that they are using too. It builds tension and anticipation for the next episode. They need to never put so much time in between two single but connected episodes again though. Ratings were way down on this past Tuesday, and scheduling like that can kill a series.
Wow, never even thought about the harvesting being possible. That explains a lot. Great point.
My fear is that with ratings being "not-so-great" that an expensive show like this won't last real long. Love Paxson's character also along with Deathlok from past episodes. For the life of me I don't know why this show doesn't do better, considering the connection to Marvel films. I'll give you that sometimes the dialogue and acting isn't great, but there's a lot of more watched shows that have the same issue.
My guess is that folks expected "The Avengers" and didn't get it, so they tuned out over time.

Disneyfanman

I'm comparing it in head to Buffy and Angel. Neither of those shows really found their voice and style until season 2. In fact if you go back and watch season 1 of Buffy you will be amazed at how silly and "monster of the weekish" the first half felt. Even tho Joss isn't the show runner, AOS is following the same roadmap. If it survives a full S2, I think it has the potential to be exceptional. I think that getting that long to gain a foothold is the question. Any more rating erosion may put into question if it even gets to S2. It should be growing its audience right now. It isn't.

erasure fan1

For the life of me I don't know why this show doesn't do better, considering the connection to Marvel films.
I think that is the problem, people are expecting it to be like the films and its not. For the average casual fan I can see why they may tune out. If you are not really invested in the universe, the show has progressed too slow to wait for. When people see Marvel on something, they expect to see superheroes. I am not saying we need Stark or Cap but a superhero of some type would help things along. I am guessing things are leading up to that but like I said, its just moving too slow for people to stay tuned in I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom