Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

The rest of the hub went quickly? It took about 20 months with very little electrical components.
Try and get a little perspective about how massive that job was in a working park. If it had been a vacant piece of land then it would be shameful to have taken that long, but, in a park like MK and considering the sphincter rigidity of some of the fans it was done quite quickly.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, Feb. 3. The castle ramps are currently closed while handrails and final railings are being installed. Here is a photo of the right ramp handrails installation. Railings (fences between columns) are being installed on the left ramp.

IMG_7293.JPG

hpyhnt 1000

Photo update as of Wednesday, Feb. 3. The castle ramps are currently closed while handrails and final railings are being installed. Here is a photo of the right ramp handrails installation. Railings (fences between columns) are being installed on the left ramp.

View attachment 129207

No doubt it looks superb. But still would have been nice to see it get done faster. It shouldn't take 2-3 months to install some railings, even if you only have a few hours a night to work on it.

View attachment 129207
If both ramps are now closed, is it safe to assume that this project should progress rather quickly since they are no longer working during the limited hours of night? We arrive in two weeks, would love to see it completed!

BoarderPhreak

Oooh, shiny. The railings are coming along nicely! Definitely easy to see why it's taking so long with all those angles. Most places probably wouldn't have contoured them like this. Details!

note2001

I really like the pillars, and particularly the lighting added there.

The railings are okay, a bit on the plain side. I wonder if there might be a topper coming along? Something to keep folk from sitting themselves or kids on it.

The handrails, while they are no doubt a pita to create/install, I don't care for. Too many angles and they catching the light in a distracting way. Fortunately, those ramps are typically far too busy to stop on and get any pictures of.

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

One thing's for sure; these railings will keep the Disney folk busy with metal polish. I've seen them more than a few times shining up the water fountains this way. Brass, if not clearcoated, will tarnish quickly.

JoeCamel

One thing's for sure; these railings will keep the Disney folk busy with metal polish. I've seen them more than a few times shining up the water fountains this way. Brass, if not clearcoated, will tarnish quickly.

I think you will see patina added to darken them as they do in many other parts of the park and what you can see on the supports

Biff215

The permit for the ramps was extended today until 9/30/2016.

Magic Kingdom Castle Ramps - Rehab
What was the original expiration date? Was this done just to gain a few days or weeks? I certainly hope we're not going to have the ramps under construction straight through the summer. They're looking great, but as others have said, there's no way it should still be ongoing, even given the complexity and short work hours. They should have just closed both ramps from the start if that's the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom