Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

roj2323

We used a FP for Wishes and had plenty of space. There was no jamming of people in the FP area. It was very comfortable. Outside of the FP area was a herd the likes I had never personally seen. I felt so sorry for the CMs trying to manage that crowd. I had never been more thankful for a FP than I was that night. Now, the situation could have changed since our experience. If so, that's disappointing.

When was your experience?

COProgressFan

In some cases, like with the ToT lobby, it not only looks bad but also is just jarring to the eye. Those candelabras on either side of the fireplace are much too bright and just a hair too cool for the rest of the room (probably around 4000K). In the case of the MK, in my opinion it is absolutely inexcusable for any light source to be near 5600K. On my last visit, the queue for The Haunted Mansion was peppered with a mix of conventional and LED lamps, all varying in temperature. Twitching ensued. It got even worse when I realized they have now replaced the small lamps that make the flames on the candles for the endless staircase with what seems like non-dimmable, cool-white LEDs. It ruins the effect entirely.

Wow. Didn't get to ride Mansion on our last trip, but in the cases of ToT and the Mansion, the lighting plays a huge part in the show. It's bad enough to see a random mix of bulbs in a restaurant, for example, but to see it in attractions like this is just poor show. Hope this gets addressed. I would assume each attraction has specs for what type of bulb each fixture takes. Maybe they haven't updated the guidelines with the new bulbs that are available, or if maintenance people just put in whatever they have on hand.

cspencer96

Wow. Didn't get to ride Mansion on our last trip, but in the cases of ToT and the Mansion, the lighting plays a huge part in the show. It's bad enough to see a random mix of bulbs in a restaurant, for example, but to see it in attractions like this is just poor show. Hope this gets addressed. I would assume each attraction has specs for what type of bulb each fixture takes. Maybe they haven't updated the guidelines with the new bulbs that are available, or if maintenance people just put in whatever they have on hand.
When I say the queue, I am referring to the outdoor portion here. It still is inexcusable, but it would be much, much worse if the offenses were within the Mansion itself. Now, the cool white flames on the candles in the staircase scene that no longer flicker? That looks atrocious. I should have taken a photo or two. But yes, the lighting plays a huge part in every area of the resort. Especially attractions and shows, yes, but even the lighting on pathways is carefully planned. Its a shame to see something so important be overlooked.

articos

When I say the queue, I am referring to the outdoor portion here. It still is inexcusable, but it would be much, much worse if the offenses were within the Mansion itself. Now, the cool white flames on the candles in the staircase scene that no longer flicker? That looks atrocious. I should have taken a photo or two. But yes, the lighting plays a huge part in every area of the resort. Especially attractions and shows, yes, but even the lighting on pathways is carefully planned. Its a shame to see something so important be overlooked.
A lot of the time, even though the effect is created by WDI, once it's handed over to the park, normal maintenance staffing takes over the upkeep. At times if they can't source the proper parts, they will do what they have to to keep the attraction running, or they will sometimes make a judgement call due to budget that doesn't always match up with WDI's sensibilities. It usually is noticed and taken care of, even if it takes a while. Same thing happens at Universal.

CTXRover

Yea A lot has changed since then. The fastpass viewing areas had literally just opened in May. Since then they have crammed a lot more people in those viewing areas and banned sitting.
We used it in early December when we were going to MK for dinner and the fireworks only. While many more people than when we first used it in March, almost everyone was sitting. We never heard any announcements that sitting wasn't allowed. The only room though was primarily the concrete walks between the grassy areas. Still a pleasant experience for us.

roj2323

We used it in early December when we were going to MK for dinner and the fireworks only. While many more people than when we first used it in March, almost everyone was sitting. We never heard any announcements that sitting wasn't allowed. The only room though was primarily the concrete walks between the grassy areas. Still a pleasant experience for us.

That's good to hear.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yea A lot has changed since then. The fastpass viewing areas had literally just opened in May. Since then they have crammed a lot more people in those viewing areas and banned sitting.
Since others have reported that they have been allowed to sit, and have not been herded like cattle, exactly when was your experience in using a FP+ for this when you were herded like cattle and not allowed to sit? :confused:

Next Big Thing

We used FP+ for Wishes in June. We sat in the back, did not have to stand and had plenty of room. Actually tons of room, we all kicked off our shoes and sat in the grass the whole time. Enjoyed Wishes more than ever before, just my opinion.
Agreed. FP+ for Wishes can definitely be worth it if you want a pleasant/non-stressful viewing experience.

tirian

The FP+ crowd levels depend on the overall park crowd. Sometimes it's packed; sometimes it's nearly empty.

So what happens now, are people allowed to stand and watch fireworks in the inner ring, allowing people to move round the outer ring? Need to know because I'm seriously considering spending a fastpass for the viewing areas, such was the awful awful experience we had this year getting herded around like sheep throughout, despite arriving early and thinking we would have been in an ok place.

A fastpass for wishes doesn't eliminate the herding feeling it just puts you in a pen with other people making it harder to get around. When they first started doing fastpass for wishes with the new east and west pens/viewing areas they limited the number of people and you could watch the show sitting comfortably but now they jam way too many people in there and they force you to stand so I'd say it's just a waste of a fastpass especially when other areas of the park have a better veiw and less people.

Since others have reported that they have been allowed to sit, and have not been herded like cattle, exactly when was your experience in using a FP+ for this when you were herded like cattle and not allowed to sit? :confused:

Homer fan

Is the hub completed yet? If not, how close are they? Heading to WDW in April and last time I went (11/14) it was walled off everywhere!

Rob562

So did they ever finish all aspects of the Main Street Bypass behind the east-side buildings? I know most of the walkway and ground-level areas were finished, but I haven't really seen much of anything regarding what they did to finish working on the back of the Main Street buildings

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom