Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Disney4family

I would as well, but, no one seems to be posting any of those, so we go with what we have. ;):joyfull:
Ugh. It's just nicer for me to live vicariously through the pictures (and commit a cardinal sin of envy of people who are there) than to see one of the many reasons why I don't teach science. Gross.

NearTheEars

To be fair, the bug talk was directly related to the hub project as someone said not to sit down and relax on the newly-installed artificial turf because of the park's cockroach problem.

And hearing that a bug issue may exist is probably the newsiest information in this thread since they reopened the partially finished castle ramps before Christmas.

wogwog

So did they ever finish all aspects of the Main Street Bypass behind the east-side buildings? I know most of the walkway and ground-level areas were finished, but I haven't really seen much of anything regarding what they did to finish working on the back of the Main Street buildings

-Rob
99% finished and looking OK for what it is. A bypass to avoid Main Street crowds. I heard they might do a few more small finishing touches, but it is fine the way it is if they don't.

NearTheEars

99% finished and looking OK for what it is. A bypass to avoid Main Street crowds. I heard they might do a few more small finishing touches, but it is fine the way it is if they don't.

Very useful. I was sad, however, that it wasn't open during the Festival of Fantasy parade on Saturday. That may be standard operating procedure, though. Maybe it's just used at night. But anyway, we were looking to leave the park and had to push a relative in a wheelchair down the sidewalk on MSUSA.

Not WDW's fault, just bad planning on my part. And I looked a little dumb when we got to the bypass and it was closed after telling everyone it would be a breeze to leave.

Oops.

Biff215

Very useful. I was sad, however, that it wasn't open during the Festival of Fantasy parade on Saturday. That may be standard operating procedure, though. Maybe it's just used at night. But anyway, we were looking to leave the park and had to push a relative in a wheelchair down the sidewalk on MSUSA.

Not WDW's fault, just bad planning on my part. And I looked a little dumb when we got to the bypass and it was closed after telling everyone it would be a breeze to leave.

Oops.
Wouldn't be a bad idea, but they're not going to let you bypass the Emporium unless they have to for safety. Pretty sure this only happens in the evenings, and I didn't notice it open when we were there two weeks ago. Looked like the walls by the Plaza were finally finished though.

Wasn't impressed with the partially open castle ramps. The temporary sides and handrails are pretty rough. I would have rather seen them finish one side completely before opening anything, then complete the other side. Seems to be taking as long as it did to redesign the entire hub!

Biff215

When I was there two weeks ago, the right side was closed while the left side was open but not finished. You would think this would allow them to knock one side out rather quickly. Maybe they're waiting on parts to be fabricated?

I get the importance of having it open, but I am surprised the condition they are in. Temporary handrails attached to 2-3 random blocks of wood looks pretty rough. With none of the typical construction signs, the average guest probably wonders if Disney ran out of money when they reached the castle. I rarely call "bad show", but this one bothered me. Wish I took pics to share.

roj2323

Ok here's why the railings are taking so long.

Before the railings could be made the ramps had to be done. Once the ramps were done the mounting locations for the railings needed to be cored out so the railing makers could weld together templates that not only matched the curve of the ramp but also the grade. Due to the limited hours the park is closed and clear of guests and the time it takes to remove and reinstall the temporary walls, this process takes one night per section. This is by no means an easy task.

But, but they did the rest of the hub so fast. Well yes, but that was on level ground so the railings could be made from drawings so they were ready shortly after the concrete was poured.

Biff215

Before the railings could be made the ramps had to be done. Once the ramps were done the mounting locations for the railings needed to be cored out so the railing makers could weld together templates that not only matched the curve of the ramp but also the grade. Due to the limited hours the park is closed and clear of guests and the time it takes to remove and reinstall the temporary walls, this process takes one night per section. This is by no means an easy task.

But, but they did the rest of the hub so fast. Well yes, but that was on level ground so the railings could be made from drawings so they were ready shortly after the concrete was poured.
I assumed something like this was the case, it's just a shame they can't make more progress during the day with one side closed. Personally I would have preferred they keep both sides closed until completed, especially during the winter months. I look forward to seeing it when done, as I'm confident it will look great based on the rest of the hub.

Homer fan

So it sounds like this should all be done within a couple weeks?

wogwog

Oops.
Opening the bypass is a call by MK management based on in park projected or an occasional "surprise" over projection guest count. The most likely time in the day time is on days the MK stops admissions for capacity like major US holidays.

RSoxNo1

The rest of the hub went quickly? It took about 20 months with very little electrical components.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom