Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

MerlinTheGoat

I keep hoping they will replace the lights on the roof of Grand Floridian with new LEDs.. Looks like crap at night with so many lights burnt out
I too hope that's a plan, too bad it takes so long. Little by little the switch to LED seems to be happening in places. GF definitely looks poor without its trim lighting. Only a few parts are still lit up, including Narcoosees and some other small areas. Most is now entirely dark. The DVC building was built with LED's though. The EPCOT resorts (Yacht and Beach Club) also have similar issues with non-working trim lighting as well.

The Crystal Palace now has LED's. The rest of Main Street does not yet. They look good on their own, but they do have a slightly different color temperature that doesn't 100% blend with the existing incandescent lights on the rest of the street. Better than having 75% of the bulbs burned out though. All of the bus terminals at Magic Kingdom are also using LED trim lighting as well now (and unlike Main Street there's not a mixture of incandescent bulbs to clash). And the Mad Tea Party's roof has used LED's for a few years now that look quite good.

One thing I noticed however- some of the LED's on Crystal Palace were non-functional during my last couple of visits. This shouldn't be happening so soon unless they're using poor quality materials. Decent LED's can last decades if built properly. I don't know whether this has been corrected yet.

dstrawn9889

I too hope that's a plan, too bad it takes so long. Little by little the switch to LED seems to be happening in places. GF definitely looks poor without its trim lighting. Only a few parts are still lit up, including Narcoosees and some other small areas. Most is now entirely dark. The DVC building was built with LED's though. The EPCOT resorts (Yacht and Beach Club) also have similar issues with non-working trim lighting as well.

The Crystal Palace now has LED's. The rest of Main Street does not yet. They look good on their own, but they do have a slightly different color temperature that doesn't 100% blend with the existing incandescent lights on the rest of the street. Better than having 75% of the bulbs burned out though. All of the bus terminals at Magic Kingdom are also using LED trim lighting as well now (and unlike Main Street there's not a mixture of incandescent bulbs to clash). And the Mad Tea Party's roof has used LED's for a few years now that look quite good.

One thing I noticed however- some of the LED's on Crystal Palace were non-functional during my last couple of visits. This shouldn't be happening so soon unless they're using poor quality materials. Decent LED's can last decades if built properly. I don't know whether this has been corrected yet.
or struck by debris, or a lightning strike, hail... many things can break a bulb(even a LED)

articos

The changeover has been in progress for a number of years already, with various vendors being tested. GF had a few sections changed out and tested a while back, but the new LEDs did not pass muster at that time. I believe the LED strips now being used are up to par and just have to be installed.

COProgressFan

The changeover has been in progress for a number of years already, with various vendors being tested. GF had a few sections changed out and tested a while back, but the new LEDs did not pass muster at that time. I believe the LED strips now being used are up to par and just have to be installed.

Glad to hear this may finally be addressed at the GF!

It's amazing how far the LED lighting technology has come in the past few years. Even at consumer grade (Home Depot), you can now get clear LED bulbs that essentially look like traditional incandescents, and at a pretty reasonable price. I've installed quite a few in my home.

I just wish maintenance crews would pay a bit closer attention to the color temperature in their bulb replacements. At several locations on our recent trip I noticed areas where there were mismatched bulbs of different colors in the same area. To anyone who's paying attention, it can be very noticeable. This is the attention to detail Disney was once renowned for.

ag3_tre

I'VE GOT IT! I have a theory as to why the tall trees have been planted only around the outer ring, and not in the center planters. It could be clever, or just dumb. This is also my first post, so huzzah.

During evening entertainment, most people would be attracted to the sight of the firewoks, projection show, and parade. The outer ring trees hamper the view, so they try to get closer to the center hub for a nicer experience. That inward movement clears the outer ring of people, making it easier to traverse the hub during those times, fulfilling its purpose of making movement easier.

I'm going to test this theory when I go in May, but does anyone think this is the advanced thinking the Imagineers were using in the new hub design?

articos

I just wish maintenance crews would pay a bit closer attention to the color temperature in their bulb replacements. At several locations on our recent trip I noticed areas where there were mismatched bulbs of different colors in the same area. To anyone who's paying attention, it can be very noticeable. This is the attention to detail Disney was once renowned for.
You and me both. They are always supposed to match per Show Quality. Anytime they don't, it's out of guidelines and should be fixed.

NormC

I'VE GOT IT! I have a theory as to why the tall trees have been planted only around the outer ring, and not in the center planters. It could be clever, or just dumb. This is also my first post, so huzzah.

During evening entertainment, most people would be attracted to the sight of the firewoks, projection show, and parade. The outer ring trees hamper the view, so they try to get closer to the center hub for a nicer experience. That inward movement clears the outer ring of people, making it easier to traverse the hub during those times, fulfilling its purpose of making movement easier.

I'm going to test this theory when I go in May, but does anyone think this is the advanced thinking the Imagineers were using in the new hub design?
That is correct. That is why it was designed that way.

UpAllNight

So what happens now, are people allowed to stand and watch fireworks in the inner ring, allowing people to move round the outer ring? Need to know because I'm seriously considering spending a fastpass for the viewing areas, such was the awful awful experience we had this year getting herded around like sheep throughout, despite arriving early and thinking we would have been in an ok place.

roj2323

So what happens now, are people allowed to stand and watch fireworks in the inner ring, allowing people to move round the outer ring? Need to know because I'm seriously considering spending a fastpass for the viewing areas, such was the awful awful experience we had this year getting herded around like sheep throughout, despite arriving early and thinking we would have been in an ok place.
A fastpass for wishes doesn't eliminate the herding feeling it just puts you in a pen with other people making it harder to get around. When they first started doing fastpass for wishes with the new east and west pens/viewing areas they limited the number of people and you could watch the show sitting comfortably but now they jam way too many people in there and they force you to stand so I'd say it's just a waste of a fastpass especially when other areas of the park have a better veiw and less people.

boufa

A fastpass for wishes doesn't eliminate the herding feeling it just puts you in a pen with other people making it harder to get around. When they first started doing fastpass for wishes with the new east and west pens/viewing areas they limited the number of people and you could watch the show sitting comfortably but now they jam way too many people in there and they force you to stand so I'd say it's just a waste of a fastpass especially when other areas of the park have a better veiw and less people.
+1 this....

See it once from the hub/main street... everyone should do it once... then the next time head over to the area in front of Gastone's Tavern or near Dumbo in New Fantasyland. Great views... low crowds. Quick shot over to other attractions after the show.

cspencer96

You and me both. They are always supposed to match per Show Quality. Anytime they don't, it's out of guidelines and should be fixed.

In some cases, like with the ToT lobby, it not only looks bad but also is just jarring to the eye. Those candelabras on either side of the fireplace are much too bright and just a hair too cool for the rest of the room (probably around 4000K). In the case of the MK, in my opinion it is absolutely inexcusable for any light source to be near 5600K. On my last visit, the queue for The Haunted Mansion was peppered with a mix of conventional and LED lamps, all varying in temperature. Twitching ensued. It got even worse when I realized they have now replaced the small lamps that make the flames on the candles for the endless staircase with what seems like non-dimmable, cool-white LEDs. It ruins the effect entirely.

articos

In some cases, like with the ToT lobby, it not only looks bad but also is just jarring to the eye. Those candelabras on either side of the fireplace are much too bright and just a hair too cool for the rest of the room (probably around 4000K). In the case of the MK, in my opinion it is absolutely inexcusable for any light source to be near 5600K. On my last visit, the queue for The Haunted Mansion was peppered with a mix of conventional and LED lamps, all varying in temperature. Twitching ensued. It got even worse when I realized they have now replaced the small lamps that make the flames on the candles for the endless staircase with what seems like non-dimmable, cool-white LEDs. It ruins the effect entirely.
Taking notes...thanks.

alhurricane

We used a FP for Wishes and had plenty of space. There was no jamming of people in the FP area. It was very comfortable. Outside of the FP area was a herd the likes I had never personally seen. I felt so sorry for the CMs trying to manage that crowd. I had never been more thankful for a FP than I was that night. Now, the situation could have changed since our experience. If so, that's disappointing.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We used a FP for Wishes and had plenty of space. There was no jamming of people in the FP area. It was very comfortable. Outside of the FP area was a herd the likes I had never personally seen. I felt so sorry for the CMs trying to manage that crowd. I had never been more thankful for a FP than I was that night. Now, the situation could have changed since our experience. If so, that's disappointing.
You can't bring reality in here. People won't believe it. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom