Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

WDW1974

But what's next? A Hooters replacing The Emporium? A TGI Friday's replacing Casey's Corner? They need to leave Mainstreet USA alone.

They've already destroyed MSUSA. It's one giant Disney outlet mall. There's no attractions, no unique shops, all the old big trees are gone. ... everything that was tradition is gone. Replacing a half-assed run Disney locale with a Starbucks run one will be a net gain for quality. That may be sad, now. But it's true.

ParentsOf4

Why don't they just call it ...
Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks Coffee

yes yes?
Yes, let's hope they keep this subtle.

I wonder how many hours were spent arguing over the size and placement of Starbucks signage. I'm sure Starbucks is paying big bucks and wants to make a big of a splash as possible. TWDC may want to minimize complaints from WDW traditionalists. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a gentlemen's agreement to start this transition modestly and then increase Starbucks presence over time. "Oh look, there's a tiny Starbucks sign in the corner." A year later: "Look, they put in a bigger sign and got rid of the WDW pastries." etc.

Captain Chaos

That was a joke. Related to the man's colorful socks at EPCOT30 and ... yeah ... :oops:
Well, I kind of figured it was a joke LOL... :) But yea, the coffee in WDW now is horrible... But I am also not a fan of Starbucks coffee... I don't drink the coffee now so no loss in my book...

cba

Starbucks at Disney? Now that's just not fair. I'd rather have a bakery in Magic Kingdom than coffee I can make myself (assuming I can make my own coffee at Disney).

G00fyDad

Most people would likely disagree on the crappy coffee ... but even those who aren't partial to Starbucks can't honestly say that Disney's Nescafe crap is anything but swill. It tastes like something brewed using old Tom Bricker socks as filters.

Some would disagree. I would have a hard time finding ten people around my city that care about Starbucks coffee. Overpriced, burned, etc. Maybe it is just the 500 Starbucks in this area. (yes, the 500 was a joke about the number of Starbucks that exist)

sweetpee_1993

Why would they do it any different than at DCA? The top two rows are for Starbucks items, and the bottom three rows are for Disney treats. You get better coffee and more food choices, and subtle signage inside and out to demarcate an outpost of Starbucks. Everybody wins.

DSC06643-600x450.jpg

Exactly this. It's still entirely possible for the Main Street Bakery fare that everyone loves to co-exist with the addition of some Starbucks offerings. And the theming of the DCA Starbucks does not stand out as overly corporate. It's not like you step inside those doors and BAM! you're inside a perfect replica of your neighborhood Starbucks shop. It doesn't work that way. It's themed to fit. MSUSA is safe. The ambiance will not be affected. It has to be closed to rearrange things, run the plumbing and services for the machines, etc. It's not going to reopen as the standard Starbucks that's on every other street corner. Have a little faith & trust, folks. It'll be okay.

I realize not everyone likes Starbucks coffee but it's a huge improvement over the Nescafe crap that they try to pass off as coffee. Personally, I think whoever put the word "coffee" after the name "Nescafe" should be slapped. That stuff is NOT coffee. Starbucks offers a wide range and variety of coffee brews. If you've been, ordered a cup of coffee and hated it I'd wonder what brew you received. It's much like finding what beer or ale you enjoy most. I adore beer but there's plenty of beers out there that I've tried that I thought were Godawful. And I'd rather stick a straw in a mud puddle than drink the Christmas Blend or any other "spiced" coffee blend. I personally don't care for bold flavors so obviously I'm not going to enjoy bold coffee or dark ales. I stick to light or medium roasts. When I have coffee, hot or iced, I generally take it very sweet with Splenda and quite light with non-fat milk. Yes, some of the things Starbucks makes are extremely fattening (java chip frappucino!) but with a little knowledge you can easily come up with alternatives that are a lighter (iced coffee w/sugar-free syrup, Splenda, & non-fat milk). Some of the Starbucks beverages are pricy. Agreed. My sons love to go order the $5 big-daddy frappucinos. Doesn't happen often, tho. I stick to iced coffee vs. blended stuff or lattes because it's far less expensive. Again, a little knowledge goes a long way. When in doubt, ask the cast/barristas. You don't look stupid for doing that. Think of how you enjoy emparting a little of your Disney knowledge one someone who asks and is genuinely interested in following the info you have to give them. Same thing. They'll guide you to a happy place and everyone will live happily ever after.

Point is, don't write the place off before it gets here. Give it a chance. You may just find another family favorite! Don't -n-moan over what you're losing. Think of the potential gain. Be happy with your memories and excited for what's to come!

TalkingHead

Gee, I wonder what Spirited said this was happening a while back? ... yeah, must have been JT (what happened to the little fella?)

Now, this may shock some of you, but I don't have one problem with this and actually think it's a good thing. Outside of Jiko and Kona Cafe, it's been a good decade plus since I had anything resembling decent coffee at WDW.

The locations will likely be far better looking and run once Starbucks comes in. They (and Disney) did a phenomenal job with the DCA locale. I see no reason to worry here. Seriously. Take a deep breath ... things will be fine.

I don't drink coffee, so I'll take your word on the upgrade in quality.

I guess it makes sense to add Starbucks. There are, after all, approximately a dozen within a mile of where I live. Probably a million or so Starbucks in the country. Nothing special about going to one (unless you're from the backwoods of Alabama where they still find Chili's to be a marvel). And most WDW visitors don't want anything scary (i.e. unfamiliar). So, ok, yay Starbucks.

And since the goal of TWDC seems to be to dilute the resort/park experience by cloning MKs all around the world, until they're nearly as prevalent as McDonald's and Starbucks, it sorta makes sense to add the coffeeshop-heard-round-the-world to Main Street, too.

It's just disappointing and lazy and whatever, but it's not a decision that would keep me from going to MK. However, I'd be happy for an E-ticket reason to go back.

SMRT-1

Yes, let's hope the keep this subtle.

I wonder how many hours were spent arguing over the size and placement of Starbucks signage. I'm sure Starbucks is paying big bucks and wants to make a big of a splash as possible. TWDC may want to minimize complaints from WDW traditionalists. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a gentlemen's agreement to start this transition modestly and then increase Starbucks presence over time. "Oh look, there's a tiny Starbucks sign in the corner." A year later: "Look, they put in a bigger sign and got rid of the WDW pastries." etc.

I think they will do the right thing like in DCA. It would be cool if they did some unique Starbucks drinks exclusive to WDW.

rsoxguy

...and another piece of Main Street's charm disappears. My issue with this decision involves the diminished quality of Main Street's distinction. I fear that the illusion of an earlier period of time is being replaced with a strip mall feel. Next up, a Gordon's Jewelers that sells Mickey rings. Nice looking on the outside of the building, but sales circulars strewn all over the ground.

Rinx

If you think about it, it's pretty much Starbuck's replacing Edy's in both locations. Did Disney and Edy's' agreement or whatever come to an end?

wdw_nerd

this is a baaaad decision IMO

1. why couldn't they keep it as the main street bakery but offer starbucks coffee inside? It would keep up with the look and theme of main street usa
2. a starbucks coffee drink is $5 and up at our local starbucks, what will the disney world mark up bring it to?
3. what about the non coffee drinkers who went to the bakery for their cinnamon roll, chocolate croissant or egg/ham croissant sandwich? now we have to wander around the park to random joints?

fishwicks

I can't believe that Disney made a huge mistake like going with Starbucks. That is the worst coffee in the world, and we lose the Main Street Bakery to make room for this terrible idea.

Ariel484

Take the time to look at that link, y'all! It's not gaudy or out of place the way it was done. The display cases inside have Starbucks grub but they also have plenty of Disney's treats as well. Hang in there and wait to see what it's actually like before you freak out completely. The coffee alternative was desperately needed!

Yep. This is the third thread I have posted this link in...hopefully the ones in WDW will look this good. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom