Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

The Empress Lilly

Leaked concept art!!

Its-a-Frap-Star-Wars-Admiral-Ackbar-Its-a-Trap-Spoof.jpg

thomas998

How does this work? Starbucks is already over priced, once they hit it with the Disney multiplier the cheapest coffe they will have will be $20. Just a very stupid idea.

theRIOT

For those of you who don't think this is a big deal, consider the following conversation.​
CEO: “Our shareholders are unhappy. Earnings were not good last quarter and they want us to improve the numbers. We’re already planning on increasing WDW ticket prices another 10% this year. What else can we do?”​
Senior VP of Sales: “Well, remember that Starbucks shop we opened on Main Street a few years ago? Starbucks is willing to pay us an annual fee if we let them hang a large sign out front. We can even design it to look antique so it will blend it.”​
CEO: “We can’t do that. It will be in every picture people take of Cinderella Castle from Main Street.”​
Senior VP of Sales: “Exactly. Starbucks thinks it’s great advertising. That’s why they are willing to pay us $5 Million annually if we let them hang the sign.”​
Now you finish the conversation.​

How would this be different than any other sign that features a sponsor on it. Edy's on MSUSA or any other sign throughout the parks.

Walt had sponsor logos all over everything at Disneyland from day one. What Would Walt Do? There is your answer. Grow up. Get over it.
Wishing a SPIRITED death to Nescafe!!!

thomas998

How would this be different than any other sign that features a sponsor on it. Edy's on MSUSA or any other sign throughout the parks.

Walt had sponsor logos all over everything at Disneyland from day one. What Would Walt Do? There is your answer. Grow up. Get over it.
Wishing a SPIRITED death to Nescafe!!!

Trouble is it is more than a sign.

Polydweller

The Starbucks locations at Magic Kingdom Park and Epcot will both offer the full complement of Starbucks® signature beverages, artisan breakfast sandwiches and a wide selection of baked goods, including muffins, scones and specialty treats.

It's right there in the official blog entry. It's also shown in the photos of the DCA version. It's not like a Starbucks on the corner of your city. It's just adding Starbucks coffee and some sandwiches to the existing Bakery offerings. I don't drink coffee so this doesn't really impact me, but I really don't see the sky falling here.
Exactly. It looks like Disney has simply found a sponsor for the bakery. They've been doing that since day one at the parks. And what they do is theme the place to whatever land it's in and put the sponsor's name on it. Look across the street to Casey's Corner for an example, it's sponsored by Coke and fits right in. Starbucks in the bakery is not the end of the world. And since the cinnamon bun is apparently a big favorite and at DCA most products in the Starbucks are Disney's it's a pretty safe bet the cinnamon bun will survive.

The Empress Lilly

Maybe they can drop Crystal Palace and stick in an IHop, and who needs Cinderella's table when it could be a Burger King.... Is there no end?
In rural areas in the west of Bolivia, to protect against the sharp rocky roads of the high Andes, the locals make shoes from WDW's leftovers of the leathery material that Disney pancakes are made of.

Serving rubbish pancakes is no reason to open an IHop in Crystal Palace. Hot mud for coffee is no reason to destroy my childhoo...to infringe upon the thematic integrity of MS.

They are good reasons to buy decent coffee machine and decent beans.

The Empress Lilly

Starbucks in Disney is not a sponsorship, it is not just a logo. That is false information WDW leaked through social media, to trick you fanboi rebels. Instead, you will witness the firepower of a fully armed and operational Starbucks station!

Starbucks is a fully operational Starbucks, staffed by Starbucks-trained personel, to Starbucks standards (*cough* better than today's Disney's). It is Starbucks themed to Disney, not just a Disney place with Starbucks sponsorship signs.

GrumpyFan

McDonalds has better coffee than the swill that Disney currently serves, so I gladly welcome this change. And, I'm fully confident that Disney will theme it appropriately to fit the surroundings.

Disneyfan_76

I have no problem with a Starbucks, being on main street... Let's face it, they are on every other corner in america, might as well be this one too. I DO, however, have a major problem with the branding being in main street. They should keep the bakery theme as it is, just have it operated by starbucks. Just don't have the Starbucks brand all over the place.

Disneyfan_76

Starbucks in Disney is not a sponsorship, it is not just a logo. That is false information WDW leaked through social media, to trick you fanboi rebels. Instead, you will witness the firepower of a fully armed and operational Starbucks station!

Starbucks is a fully operational Starbucks, staffed by Starbucks personel, to Starbucks standards (*cough* better than today's Disney's). It is a Starbucks modified to blend in with Disney, not a Disney place modified to have Starbucks sponsorship signs.

If it does blend in, then really there should be no problem. Better coffee, thematic integrity held, ... Win/Win

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At least it's cheaper to let a third party pay for something done successfully in house for decades and all the extra profit will be put back into the park right?

Oh.

mickeysbrother

It's what we do here...and we do it well ;) This surprises you? ;)

I'm fine with Starbucks coming in if they do it like the DCA locale with Starbucks and Disney treats being offered. Seems to work well there. I do hope it isn't only Starbucks items, though I don't think their fare is half bad, if a bit overpriced... but hey, that's par for the course when it comes to Disney World so why should we complain about it now?

Yes we do it well LOL.... I personally do not have a problem with it. I don't like baked breakfasts and i don't like wasting time standing in line because its always so busy in there. What i do enjoy is a strong coffee witch Disney World does not have except KONA CAFE but it's a little out of the way when u are not heading to the MK. I'm sure Coffee lovers on this site will agree that finally we can get a descent coffee to wake us up in the morning on that 7th day in the park after 6 grueling, glorious days and nights of walking partying and the pure excitement of being in the world. That's what i cant wait for :)

John

Everyone is screaming...."but they have one in DCA" Sorry, DCA isnt MSUSA. I agree swill is to good of a descirption for the crap they serve now, Disney could do what ever they wanted when it comes to something like this.They could develop thier own coffee shop. Your right they have already started down the slippery slope of the mallification of MS....why stop now. I see a lot of the same people who cried that Disney isnt creative....see Avatar, Carsland etc. But because you like Starbucks coffee this is different. Oh but this isnt a whole land its just two little coffee shops.......for now. How long do you think it will take before there are multiple locations? Like you cant see that comming from a mile away. Just wondering, does the DCA Starbucks use their own "Starbucks" cups and napkins? or just plain Disney ones?

As far as there being "bigger" problems in WDW to discuss. There are other threads to discuss such problems, this one is to discuss this albeit percieved problem.

TP2000

Main Street USA is based on Walt Disney's hometown of Marceline, Missouri. Didn't Walt Disney grow up with a Starbucks?:eek:

Marceline, Missouri circa 1905 also didn't have a daily Three O'Clock parade nor a massive blue castle towering over the end of town. ;)

Marceline, Missouri in the early 1900's was a typical small town of the era; dusty and/or muddy, dirty and smelly, painted in dull shades of lead paint, and chock full of the various social ills and cultural inconveniences of the time. It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't particularly "fun".

Marceline, Missouri Main Street, Circa 1905
KansasAvenue19090001.jpg

It's a good thing Disney didn't go with realism when it came to Main Street USA. And if the new Starbucks are half as popular as the beautiful Starbucks at California Adventure, it's going to be a BIG hit at both Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom