Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

ParentsOf4

I'm sure when Starbucks opens on Main Street they have every intention of keeping the transition subtle. I am concerned that, over time, this will be replaced by an ever increasing presence. Starbucks is paying TWDC a lot of money to sell coffee on Main Street and will want everyone to know it.

More than any place at WDW, Main Street USA (along with the view of Cinderella Castle) represents "old" WDW. It represents the traditions and values of Walt & Roy Disney. When Small Town USA was destroyed by the "mallification" of America, at least there was Main Street USA to remind us (in an idealized way) what it was like. Now the Mall of America (represented by Starbucks) is invading Main Street USA. Do you really think TWDC is going to stop and say: "Yes, one Starbucks with a barely noticeable sign is enough"? Do you really think this is going to be the only incursion onto Main Street USA? Do you really think current TWDC management cares about anything other than Revenue, Net Income, and Earnings Per Share?

I'm not saying this will happen today, this month, or this year. However, I am concerned that in 10-to-20 years Main Street USA will look more like the local mall than the gesture to nostalgia that Roy Disney opened on October 1, 1971.

John

...and another piece of Main Street's charm disappears. My issue with this decision involves the diminished quality of Main Street's distinction. I fear that the illusion of an earlier period of time is being replaced with a strip mall feel. Next up, a Gordon's Jewelers that sells Mickey rings. Nice looking on the outside of the building, but sales circulars strewn all over the ground.

Atleast somebody gets it.

Tom Morrow

Its funny because most people I know who say Starbucks' coffee sucks are people who prefer gas station crap that's been sitting around. I swear.

Get over yourselves. Is it the best coffee in the world? No. Is it much better than what Disney offers currently? Absolutely. And the prices will be about the same as Disney's prices.

I visited the DCA Starbucks and it fits just fine. I have no doubt in my mind they will successfully be able to blend this in thematically to Main Street USA in the same fashion and still even basically retain the actual bakery.

And if you still disagree... there's so many bigger, more important problems at WDW to worry about than one Starbucks.

Father Robinson

So I'm confused. I saw the photo of the cafe in DL along with the smaller sign for Starbucks. Is that what they're doing at WDW? Or are you going to see a giant Starbucks sign when you look down MS just like you would see on any corner of any town in America? Even though I don't agree, I'd be ok if they just sold their coffee in the MSB, but I can't tell if that's what this means. I guess my primary concern is what will we see on the outside of the building, can anyone answer that??

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
They have crappy coffee there already. Starbucks is a step up from Nescafe and it's not going to disrupt the theme. People need to chill out.

So the Disney machine could not source a better coffee? They go to every continent under the sun for the animal park. Why not do their own thing with coffee? Instead they took the cheap lazy way out for over roasted junk in a pretty cup because it is proven. Hmmm sounds familiar. Go figure.

bubbles1812

How did i know everyone was gonna freak out over this. First thing i thought to myself when i saw they were converting it was ohhh no everyone is gonna freak out.
It's what we do here...and we do it well ;) This surprises you? ;)

I'm fine with Starbucks coming in if they do it like the DCA locale with Starbucks and Disney treats being offered. Seems to work well there. I do hope it isn't only Starbucks items, though I don't think their fare is half bad, if a bit overpriced... but hey, that's par for the course when it comes to Disney World so why should we complain about it now?

Magenta Panther

While I sympathize with those here who are worried about whether or not Starbucks will change the character of Main Street, I still think that this is a good thing. Good coffee is very hard to find at WDW. Starbucks is already at Disneyland, and it has integrated itself very well there (from the pictures I've seen). As long as TDO is very sensitive about how Starbucks is inserted into Main Street, I think this will be okay. I'm sure it will be very subtle and a lot less intrusive and annoying than putting Marvel into the parks, or Avatar for that matter...

71jason

Main Street USA is based on Walt Disney's hometown of Marceline, Missouri. Didn't Walt Disney grow up with a Starbucks?:eek:

Do you really think he grew up down the street from a bakery offering espresso and vegetarian sandwiches? The menu has been a lot closer to Starbucks than 1900 Missouri for a long time now. I don't think he had Edy's ice cream, either.

Tomi-Rocket

No, no, no, no, no, no, no......

I wish there was a way to stop this from happening! I cannot believe they've made this foolish decision. I didn't mind Starbucks coming in because I'm not a coffee drinker but to replace such a beloved store is CRAZY! I bet they will hear loads about this and one will be me!

71jason

this is a baaaad decision IMO

1. why couldn't they keep it as the main street bakery but offer starbucks coffee inside? It would keep up with the look and theme of main street usa

Branding. Places that "offer Starbucks coffee" (there are several, Dolphin & Swan spring to mind) don't offer a full Starbucks menu. You may not like the branding, but it's they've spent years developing it.

2. a starbucks coffee drink is $5 and up at our local starbucks, what will the disney world mark up bring it to?

There is a Starbucks inside Universal Studios Orlando. Its prices are the same as other non-theme park locations around Orlando (and actually, because they give an AP discount, for me it's the cheapest Starbucks in town). I imagine these outlets will offer comparable pricing.

3. what about the non coffee drinkers who went to the bakery for their cinnamon roll, chocolate croissant or egg/ham croissant sandwich? now we have to wander around the park to random joints?

Every full Starbucks offers a variety of pastries and sandwiches. In addition, the DCA Starbucks also offers some traditional DisneyLand goods, as illustrated by photos posted in this very thread. I see no reason to believe these outlets will be any different.

jato4x4

Don't really like the idea. But I will hold judgement until it opens. Really, as long as I can get my cheese danish and milk in the mornings I will be happy. That's what always takes me back to being 5 years old and hitting up the bakery first thing. After rope drop. Fingers crossed.

Dad 2 M & M

I see it as Starbucks being the compliment, not being complemented...don't get the uproar. It is still the Main Street Bakery.

ParentsOf4

Do you really think he grew up down the street from a bakery offering espresso and vegetarian sandwiches? The menu has been a lot closer to Starbucks than 1900 Missouri for a long time now. I don't think he had Edy's ice cream, either.
Yes, I think Walt Disney had ice cream when he was a kid and moved to Marceline in 1906, even if it wasn't Edy's (which was founded in 1928 by the way). Even in circa 1910 (i.e. when Walt would have been 9), they had brand names.

MissM

The Starbucks locations at Magic Kingdom Park and Epcot will both offer the full complement of Starbucks® signature beverages, artisan breakfast sandwiches and a wide selection of baked goods, including muffins, scones and specialty treats.

It's right there in the official blog entry. It's also shown in the photos of the DCA version. It's not like a Starbucks on the corner of your city. It's just adding Starbucks coffee and some sandwiches to the existing Bakery offerings. I don't drink coffee so this doesn't really impact me, but I really don't see the sky falling here.

The Empress Lilly

When Small Town USA was destroyed by the "mallification" of America, at least there was Main Street USA to remind us (in an idealized way) what it was like. Now the Mall of America (represented by Starbucks) is invading Main Street USA.

I'm not saying this will happen today, this month, or this year. However, I am concerned that in 10-to-20 years Main Street USA will look more like the local mall than the gesture to nostalgia that Roy Disney opened on October 1, 1971.
This, totally.

But the process of Mallification and homogenisation of Main Street is well underway already. The cinema closed, an entire street closed, specialty shops, turn-of-the-century arcade. It's all gone, replaced by the Disney Store and neighboring Starbucks of your local mall.

The Empress Lilly

There is a Starbucks inside Universal Studios Orlando.
I find this a devastating observation.

Not just because it is UNI and Disney is supposed to be one step up. But because of the homogenisation even of places whose very purpose once was to escape from the mind-numbing dullness of homogenity everywhere. :confused:

Near where I live a Starbucks opened in a little corner of another Starbucks.

ParentsOf4

For those of you who don't think this is a big deal, consider the following hypothetical conversation.

CEO: “Our shareholders are unhappy. Earnings were not good last quarter and they want us to improve the numbers. We’re already planning on increasing WDW ticket prices another 10% this year. What else can we do?”

Senior VP of Sales: “Well, remember that Starbucks shop we opened on Main Street a few years ago? Starbucks is willing to pay us an annual fee if we let them hang a large sign out front. We can even design it to look antique so it will blend it.”

CEO: “We can’t do that. It will be in every picture people take of Cinderella Castle from Main Street.”

Senior VP of Sales: “Exactly. Starbucks thinks it’s great advertising. That’s why they are willing to pay us $5 Million annually if we let them hang the sign.”

Now you finish the conversation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom