Last day for the torch lighting at the Polynesian

yeti

I think it is time we get some perspective on life….you know the part that is outside Disney.
Things are going to change and go away. I feel like even when Disney has a reason to remove, replace or get rid of something people still think they are not telling us the truth and there is some hidden greedy reason they are getting rid of it.
Many don’t believe the reasons Disney has for getting rid of the waterfall in the lobby of the Polynesian. They think it is to make room for DVC (its not) or a shop (its not) or some other reason other than the one that is true. They have been talking about the maintenance issues for years before DVC was even a consideration.
There are decisions that Disney makes that I don’t like. The increase in cost of everything is no fun for me and my family and while I make my own negative comments I guess I should just stop complaining about things and follow the advice I am going to give everyone else.
If you don’t like that the Yetti does not move anymore….stop going on Everest.
If you don’t like the look or location of the bungalows at the Polynesian…don’t buy DVC.
If you don’t like the changes to the resort….stop staying there.
If you don’t like the decisions Disney makes or the prices they charge…..stop going to Disney parks.
Seems easy enough.
Don’t forget there is life outside Disney, if you don’t have a life outside Disney then there is therapy.
I was just trying to share some news.

Happy Friday :)

I agree fully with the above until the ellipses started. Fan reasoning that something is automatically being done for the worse is absurd, but why should I (or you) turn the other cheek from problems when I see then when I sorta care about how the place holds up? I'm sorry, but "then don't go" is just an argument I'm getting tired of hearing. Your insight is valuable and you seem pretty levelheaded..please don't succumb to the logic that being critical unconditionally means you're a lunatic. If that's the case then why are we here?

I'm glad to see work being done to the GCH. It needed it...lots.

tikiman

Original Poster
I agree fully with the above until the ellipses started. Fan reasoning that something is automatically being done for the worse is absurd, but why should I (or you) turn the other cheek from problems when I see then when I sorta care about how the place holds up? I'm sorry, but "then don't go" is just an argument I'm getting tired of hearing. Your insight is valuable and you seem pretty levelheaded..please don't succumb to the logic that being critical unconditionally means you're a lunatic. If that's the case then why are we here?

I'm glad to see work being done to the GCH. It needed it...lots.

I get what you’re saying. I think we just stress about stuff that is out of our control too often. Also I believe the best way to convey to Disney that we are not happy with something is by not giving them our money.

I think since my heart attack I try and put what is important in life into perspective and when I see people get so upset about stuff at Disney, they need to step back and see what really matters. Maybe I am just full of s**t and should not try and be a therapist….haha

Im going to go home and Make a Lapu Lapu. Can I make you one?

yeti

I get what you’re saying. I think we just stress about stuff that is out of our control too often. Also I believe the best way to convey to Disney that we are not happy with something is by not giving them our money.

I think since my heart attack I try and put what is important in life into perspective and when I see people get so upset about stuff at Disney, they need to step back and see what really matters. Maybe I am just full of s**t and should not try and be a therapist….haha

Im going to go home and Make a Lapu Lapu. Can I make you one?

Nah I'm good...but I've got a virgin dole whip that's craving some of that extra Bacardi if you're not using it?

R W B

I caught this on my vary last day last month, thankfully we were running about 7 hours late on leaving so I was able to see this. Glad I did since I won't be surprised if it doesn't return.

bethymouse

@tikiman
You're the greatest! Drink a Lapu for me. I would still stay at the POLY even w/ construction. But, I'll wait for a while until it is restored to its beautiful self.;) Man- I wish I had $$$$$ to but into DVC. I'd definitely buy me some POLY DVC!:eek::D

The Visionary Soul

Work will begin on a new design for the entrance of the Polynesian and on the lobby. Due to the construction the last showing of the torch lighting will be Saturday 4/12. It may be back after construction in the same place or another place but they will not be preforming the show while construction is going on.
What time will it be?

rkelly42

Thanks for the update tikiman, thanks for keeping us informed as well with the construction going on at the poly. Sorry that people use these updates to serve their own agenda.

asianway

My points info is just speculation until real numbers come out. If anything I am considering DVC as a way to still be able to afford staying at the Polynesian in the future.
Many of the refurbishments being done have little or nothing to do with DVC going in. They have been talking about having to redo the GCH and bring it up to ADA compliance for years.
They have everything to do with DVC coming in. The resort has been deferring the GCH problem for years. The only way they could justify it was the offsetting inflow from DVD to hand them over the assets being converted. A great use case of taking a troubled asset and making it a timeshare.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
They have everything to do with DVC coming in. The resort has been deferring the GCH problem for years. The only way they could justify it was the offsetting inflow from DVD to hand them over the assets being converted. A great use case of taking a troubled asset and making it a timeshare.

And I would agree with you if the entire resort were being converted, but it's not. You have seen over the past decade the remodeling of the longhouses in a phased manner. The last and most logical progression would be to renovate the GCH to coordinate with that DVC. These events are not mutually exclusive, but rather work in tandem. On a side note, I would be curious to understand specifically what you meant by "troubled"?

backinaction

And I would agree with you if the entire resort were being converted, but it's not. You have seen over the past decade the remodeling of the longhouses in a phased manner. The last and most logical progression would be to renovate the GCH to coordinate with that DVC. These events are not mutually exclusive, but rather work in tandem. On a side note, I would be curious to understand specifically what you meant by "troubled"?
yea it just seems like DVC and gutting of GCH are going hand in hand on this. Someone said the gutting had more to do with ADA and less to do about DVC? what part of the GCH isn't accessible to someone in a wheel chair? I thought that's what the elevator is for. Can someone tell me what the problems were with the GCH and why they needed to gut the place and take out the waterfall?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
yea it just seems like DVC and gutting of GCH are going hand in hand on this. Someone said the gutting had more to do with ADA and less to do about DVC? what part of the GCH isn't accessible to someone in a wheel chair? I thought that's what the elevator is for. Can someone tell me what the problems were with the GCH and why they needed to gut the place and take out the waterfall?

ADA requirements are quite complex, it goes way beyond simple wheel chair accessibility. Fire Alarms, bathroom stalls, floor tile, emergency lights, exit signs, electrical switches/receptacles, and on and on and on. Virtually every aspect in the construction of a publicly accessible building is affected in some way by an ADA requirement. Also there may be a local requirement that when a certain percentage of the building is being renovated, the entire building must become fully compliant.

Waterfall I thought @tikiman had a reason for that. I would suspect that beyond the maintenance aspect, it used up a lot of space that could have been repurposed.

Hamlit

Hey everyone,
Just a few thoughts. I love the Poly, I've been staying there religiously for the last 7 years since my daughter was born. I love how it seems so steeped in tradition. However, I only could afford to stay there because of the 35% off they always offered and I am super excited about the DVC offering which will be cheaper than that. The DVC is awesome news, especially if you are mysteriously addicted to the place like I am. And for DVC members that can't afford the point allocation (whatever that may be), you could always buy at a less expensive resort and try to get reservations at the Poly each year. Anyway, I also wanted to point out that if things were not updated periodically nobody would stay there. I mean, if you go look at @tikiman pictures of the resort rooms from the 70's, you will see how cheesy they were. I think Disney does an excellent job of balancing tradition with new ideas, so I'm sure it will be awesome when it is done. That's my two cents worth. Thanks.

DisneyWorld30th

I am staying at the Poly in less than two weeks. One would think Disney would send me a message about all of the construction happening at the Resort. If I had known all of this stuff a year ago when I booked it, I would have changed my Resort.

COProgressFan

I am staying at the Poly in less than two weeks. One would think Disney would send me a message about all of the construction happening at the Resort. If I had known all of this stuff a year ago when I booked it, I would have changed my Resort.

I agree, Disney is not forthcoming about this sort of thing.

In all seriousness though, if you do think it will interfere with your stay (and I agree, I wouldn't want to pay to stay in a construction zone either) you probably still have time to change resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom