Last day for the torch lighting at the Polynesian

tikiman

Original Poster
Work will begin on a new design for the entrance of the Polynesian and on the lobby. Due to the construction the last showing of the torch lighting will be Saturday 4/12. It may be back after construction in the same place or another place but they will not be preforming the show while construction is going on.

Soarin' Over Pgh

all this so disney can cater to the 1%. sad

That kind of an odd statement. Can you explain?

Disney is doing a refurbishment/update of the hotel, including the lobby. How is this catering to the the 1%?

I see his/her point. The prices at the Polynesian are so high that not many can actually afford it -- and from what we've heard regarding the points/prices of the Poly DVC, this reduces the number of people who can afford it even lower.

I believe it was @tikiman who told us what the point averages would be for the DVC being built here. I recall picking my jaw off the floor while simultaneously kissing my hopes of ever staying at the Polynesian goodbye.

I do get the original statement. It could have been phrased better, but I hope my explanation of what I think he/she meant helps with that.

tikiman

Original Poster
My points info is just speculation until real numbers come out. If anything I am considering DVC as a way to still be able to afford staying at the Polynesian in the future.
Many of the refurbishments being done have little or nothing to do with DVC going in. They have been talking about having to redo the GCH and bring it up to ADA compliance for years.

disney4life2008

That kind of an odd statement. Can you explain?

Disney is doing a refurbishment/update of the hotel, including the lobby. How is this catering to the the 1%?

The 1% are those that will pay $500 plus a night for a disney room. And while they are updating the hotel - disney is getting rid a lot of the traditions that poly has had. I would not bank on the torch returning. We have been played all too many times about "limited time magic" - I am still sick over Spectromagic.

GrumpyFan

The 1% are those that will pay $500 plus a night for a disney room. And while they are updating the hotel - disney is getting rid a lot of the traditions that poly has had.

The way I see it is Disney is catering to the demand. If people are willing to pay that much, then Disney should provide a means for them to do so, and take advantage of it. If they don't, then these guests will find somewhere else to spend the money. It's just business. And, while I'm envious, it doesn't bother me. It just gives me something to dream about, maybe one day I'll strike it rich and get to stay there too.

How/where has it been confirmed they're taking away traditions? I get what you're saying,but I prefer to wait and see what's going to happen once it's finished, rather than make assumptions.

disney4life2008

The way I see it is Disney is catering to the demand. If people are willing to pay that much, then Disney should provide a means for them to do so, and take advantage of it. If they don't, then these guests will find somewhere else to spend the money. It's just business. And, while I'm envious, it doesn't bother me. It just gives me something to dream about, maybe one day I'll strike it rich and get to stay there too.

How/where has it been confirmed they're taking away traditions? I get what you're saying,but I prefer to wait and see what's going to happen once it's finished, rather than make assumptions.

Basically what people say on here and other reports. But its hard to trust disney when something is taken away. There is no guarentee it will return.

Bolt

The 1% are those that will pay $500 plus a night for a disney room. And while they are updating the hotel - disney is getting rid a lot of the traditions that poly has had. I would not bank on the torch returning. We have been played all too many times about "limited time magic" - I am still sick over Spectromagic.
Didn't realize I was in the 1% - such an honor when so young! Oh wait, I saved up like a normal person.

Figment2005

Just curious, at what point did Disney ever say Spectromagic would make a return before it was destroyed?

disney4life2008

Just curious, at what point did Disney ever say Spectromagic would make a return before it was destroyed?

When Summer Nightastic was promoted in 2010 - among many other things coming for the summer - was MSEP. All of the documents that we were presented with (not sure if it came from disney direct) billed that MSEP was coming from California for a "limited time run" so come enjoy it this summer before its too late. At minimum many people thought MSEP would be around for 2 years. Thus by 2012 - if you do a search on here - everyone was under the impression that Spectomagic was being secretely refurbed. Well 2 years turned into 3 years - and disney never reported anything about spectromagic. By late 2012 through mid 2013 - reports began coming that spectromagic was filled with maggots and irreplacable. No one beleived it (including me) hopeful it would return. Until disney finally released that spectomagic was no more and they sold off pieces for pins.

You read the blog - many people were under the impression it was limited:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...l-parade-returns-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

tikiman

Original Poster
I think it is time we get some perspective on life….you know the part that is outside Disney.
Things are going to change and go away. I feel like even when Disney has a reason to remove, replace or get rid of something people still think they are not telling us the truth and there is some hidden greedy reason they are getting rid of it.
Many don’t believe the reasons Disney has for getting rid of the waterfall in the lobby of the Polynesian. They think it is to make room for DVC (its not) or a shop (its not) or some other reason other than the one that is true. They have been talking about the maintenance issues for years before DVC was even a consideration.
There are decisions that Disney makes that I don’t like. The increase in cost of everything is no fun for me and my family and while I make my own negative comments I guess I should just stop complaining about things and follow the advice I am going to give everyone else.
If you don’t like that the Yetti does not move anymore….stop going on Everest.
If you don’t like the look or location of the bungalows at the Polynesian…don’t buy DVC.
If you don’t like the changes to the resort….stop staying there.
If you don’t like the decisions Disney makes or the prices they charge…..stop going to Disney parks.
Seems easy enough.
Don’t forget there is life outside Disney, if you don’t have a life outside Disney then there is therapy.
I was just trying to share some news.

Happy Friday :)

Soarin' Over Pgh

And we all appreciate the news you share with us, Tikiman.

But I think everyone has a reason to question things that the company does, and I don't see why they shouldn't question them. Afterall, Disney hasn't given any one an explanation (not that they have to, but) as to why they're gutting the GCH and adding DVC to the resort and putting bungalows on the water. That's what I see happening here, people looking for an answer and voicing their opinions on a resort that obviously, is well liked and loved and holds great memories for a good deal of people.

And yes, things do change. People change, places change. That's life.

tikiman

Original Poster
And we all appreciate the news you share with us, Tikiman.

But I think everyone has a reason to question things that the company does, and I don't see why they shouldn't question them. Afterall, Disney hasn't given any one an explanation (not that they have to, but) as to why they're gutting the GCH and adding DVC to the resort and putting bungalows on the water. That's what I see happening here, people looking for an answer and voicing their opinions on a resort that obviously, is well liked and loved and holds great memories for a good deal of people.

And yes, things do change. People change, places change. That's life.

No argument with people being able to voice their displeasure but why pick my post to start complaining about other things.

Yeah I feel like we get a little too emotional about some of these things and if that is what people want to do they have that right. I just think sometimes we have to take a step back and look at what really matters in life and don’t let Disney get us so upset.

If people still want to rant about Disney then maybe start their own posting. I don’t see how Spectromagic has anything to do with my news.

Maybe its just been a long week for me and I need to shut up and go relax.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yeah I feel like we get a little too emotional about some of these things and if that is what people want to do they have that right. I just think sometimes we have to take a step back and look at what really matters in life and don’t let Disney get us so upset.

It's a topic people are very passionate about.

It's Friday. If I were closer I'd buy you a beer and give you a hug. Time to relax, the ugly part of the week is over. :inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom